Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

#32

Ratings: 6,401 |  Reviews: 1,881

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

This was one of THE best Belgian Quads I've ever had. I tried a Rocherfort 10, and the spectrum of balance and flavor doesn't compare to the slightest. But the price different would make some people beg to differ.

The pour was pretty epic, it was out of the bottle, I purchased a 6 pack. I bought their brick box, so I received the two chalices to go along with the tasting. It pours a very dark caramel color, and even if you put it up to the light, you're not seeing through it lol.

I had my first smell, and I smelt oakey smells. Definitely an ingredient to this brew. It was aged for 2 years in a Belgian cellar before I received it, so it really had a chance to ferment. The expiration was 2014. There wasn't too much of a head for very long, but it had a little bit of lacing on the top.

Since it had aged for 2 years, it wasn't as carbonated as I had hoped for. But I wasn't expecting it to be honest, as it IS a Belgian Quad.

I had a lot of hype leading up until my first sip, and I believe it held its own. The first sip, I got was oakey, and VERY malty/bitter, with a hard winey after taste because of the 10.2% ABV that comes along with the beer.

Presentation was great, all brown bottle with Westvleteren XII on the front, with a trappist ring. Proving it is still a competitive world class beer. Great opportunity and it has really gave me a great outlook on Belgian beers.

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a rich, dense dark velvet brown into a chalice. 2 inch foamy head dissipates very slowly into an inch cream lace.
Sweet grapes, with some figs on the nose, very subtle and very inviting.
Extremely chewy on the palate, sweet malts, brown sugar flavors with grapes and raisins in there also, mixed in with the spices making it one damn complex brew! Just amazing!
Alcohol creeps up, warming the body, very soothing.
An extremely amazing beer! Hail to the Trappist Monks of Belgium, once again and always!!
Could not recommend this one enough!
Thank you, Merci, Dankje!!!!

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Decided I'd open this for my birthday beer.

11.2oz beer poured into snifter. Dated 18.04.15 on cap. Ordered from Etre about two weeks ago.

A- Pours a fairly opaque (slightly translucent in not as wide of a glass) dark mahogany brown with a reddish tinge, about a finger of foamy and fairly bubbly yellowish brown yeasty looking head that fades to about a quarter of a finger, about average carbonation to maybe slightly above carbonation. Leaves nice foamy lacing.

S- Definitely very aromatic, sweet, and complex. Definite floral notes with figs, molasses, honey, brown sugar, brandy, baker's yeast, and much more all combining to form a complex sweet aroma that is very pleasant to smell. This is ideally what I think a beer should smell like. I could easily sit here all day trying to distinguish what smells make up this aroma.

T- Sweet molasses, brown sugar, some yeast that gives it a very light bready component which comes out a little bit more as it warms up, brandy, a nice sweet aftertaste. Again sweet and complex, a tad bit less so then the aroma though.

M- A very tiny bit too much carbonation when first opened (letting it sit for 5-10 minutes definitely solved this), but otherwise perfect. Not syrupy, a little bit on the lighter side for a quad and a beer of 10.2%, extremely smooth, abv almost nonexistent.

O- This was a fantastic beer that definitely lived up to it's hype. Definitely by far the best Quad I've ever had. The beer was very complex, while everything balanced perfectly into a great beer. The only beer that I like more then this is Heady Topper, but that's partially because I prefer DIPAs over Quads. I can see why this one of the top rated beers in the world. Definitely would love to try this beer again. Maybe with a little bit more age on it.

Best of the best. Served in a chalice at the abbey restaurant, dark nut brown with an aroma of scotch/whiskey. A little alcohol burn in the mouthfeel and finish, but still very smooth and drinkable. A reputation well deserved....

Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 6,401 ratings