Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
World-Class
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

#35

Ratings: 6,529 |  Reviews: 1,911
4.29/5  rDev -6.7%

Like another reviewer, it was the journey for this beer that led to a cool experience.

I was living in Germany and was headed to the Brugges beer fest and wanted this unicorn beer, I had to make 85 phone calls to the Abby to reserve a time slot and only 2 racks per car. Luckily our slot was available on the drive back. I think we paid 45 Euros per rack (24 bottles and cool wooden rack) with a promise to save some for a friend that met us at Brugges. He never got any, sorry bro.

Anyhow, about a year later, my buddy was headed downrange and stopped off at the local base liquor store which had a very small lot of this beer, priced at $450 a case!! The unicorn beer is good, hell, great when you can only buy it at a small Abby in Belgium (they have a pub across the street where its on tap) but St. Bernardus Abt 12 is almost its clone and attainable.

Note: This is a bottle that I have been storing for more than three years since it go out of date. Light brown reddish colour, small head with very short retention. No lace. Aroma of dates, raisins, brandy, spices, wood, some chocolate, spices Medium to full body, creamy alcoholic palate, flat carbonation. Sweet fruity finish. Taste of dried fruits: prundes, raisins, dates, chocolate, spices, pepper, fruits, wood. Exceptional, one of te best, like his sister 8.

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

pours out a murky brownish ruby color, nice half finger head leaves a few bits of lacing. nose reminds me of cherry coke in the best way hahah - has this sweet cherry note and an almost vanilla quality. smells delicious, very fruity and sweet. on palate there is a beautiful and rich dark fruit note up front, reminiscent of cherry and plum, the sweetness of the malts is there as well, toasty nuttyness, caramel and toffee, hints of vanilla again. absolutely no booze but a subtle hit of spice and warmth. mouthfeel is medium+ bodied and has a luscious texture to it, excellent carbonation. overall an absolute masterclass and wonderfully smooth and well rounded beer. quads are usually not my thing but its pretty much impossible not to get excited about this one. cheers!

4.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.46/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.66/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.91/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The hype is that this is the best beer in the world. And depending on your taste it may well be. I love the Trappist style ales but living where I do the style is hard enough to find let alone true Abby produced ales.

We recently traveled to Europe and added a few days before our river cruise to visit Poperinge Belgium, yes that mystical place that is close to the St. Sixtus Abby. We actually went there to visit the St. Bernardus brewery in nearby Watou.

The kind lady at the hotel desk was aware we were beer geeks and asked if we had tried the Westvleteren 12 and we said no, she got with the hotel owner who arrainged for us to visit a cafe and try some.

Westvleteren 12 is what all Belgian Quads try to be. You have to enjoy the style to really appreciate this beer. It has all the aromas and flavors you would expect in an Abby ale, but it's subtler in the balance than a lot of them. Poured from a bottle into traditional glass wear complete with the St. Sixtus branding it hard a tight carmel colored head. Taste had notes of fruits, spices, and sweetness. Aroma carried the same notes as the taste. Mouth feel was silky smooth. The monks have mastery of the art of making high gravity beers that do not taste like high gravity beers.

Okay I will freely admit that the overall experience may color my review of this beer but picture this scene before you judge me too harshly. We were seated at an outdoor table in a small Belgian town, our waiter brings two bottle of this nearly un-obtainable beer to us and is laughing to himself. We asked why he was laughing and he tells us as he is passing behind the bar with our beers another patron calls a friend to tell him the bar has the Trappist for sale and he stopped to tell him "no we don't". We were just finishing the first bottle as he brought us a second. Total cost for us to each enjoy two of the worlds most exclusive beers was 10 Euros.

Best beer in the world, maybe or maybe not depending on your taste. Have I ever enjoyed a beer as much as that day? No I have not!

4.32/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.21/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -9.6%

11.2 oz bottle poured into chalice glass.

A: Huge fizzy slightly off white khaki color that makes the beer almost hard to pour, but it settles almost as quickly as it forms. Brackish brown black body with very little light escaping its murkiness.

S: Light bits of dates, figs, and clove, but also a floral hop presence like noble hops. There is a nice doughy almost banana bread like smell that permeates.

T: Lots of lovely date, fig, caramel raisin taste with a little burnt sugar and toffee.

M: Insanely biting high carbonation, but yet it finishes so smooth it's unreal.

O: This is a world class beer no doubt, but the carbonation is way too high and I was expecting the depth of flavor to be more nuanced. That being said, it is really really good.

4.29/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tea to crimson in color, massive bubbling head that almost made my cup runneth over. It retains a meringue of the khaki foam of over two fingers for a good while. This find of Westvleteren at the Yongsan seven day did make said cup overflow with joy!

Dark caramel, plum, a twinge of brandy, cherry wood.

Sweet tobacco, bourbon, toffee, dark fruit. The balance is phenomenal; rich, sweet flavors, alcohol bitterness, and booze that is more flavor than heat.

A light to medium body is accosted by waves of carbonation. I would like a little less carbonation, it would make things a little smoother, but it doesn’t really hurt.

I can’t believe I found this in the Republic of Korea. This legend is definitely the best Quad I’ve had.

4.9/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Wow is all I can say. If you could get your hands on it take it.

4.91/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark brown, large frothy cap and lacing along the edge of the glass. Aromas of bread and dark fruits. Sweet candied fruits and caramel toffee taste with a dry finish. Overall, amazing! Great to try at least once.

4.48/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

4.77/5  rDev +3.7%

4.48/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

33 cL bottle. Pours a beautiful mohagony with a fluffy khaki head that produced brilliant lacing. Carbonation bubbles rose from the bottom of the glass for the duration of drinking it. Smell is some dark fruit, and maybe a little nutty. Nothing mind blowing but not bad either. Taste is a smooth blend of dark fruit followed by a slight sweetness and then a little dry, nutty finish. Alcohol is present but very well hidden. The feel is creamy and smooth with a very pleasant moderate viscosity, making the feel my favorite attribute of this beer. Overall a great beer, certainly worth trying once if you’re lucky enough to find it.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's delicious!