Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

Ratings: 6,299 |  Reviews: 1,861
4.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +3%

Entry 1/8/09: So this is what good beer tastes like. The date is a little confusing. Does any one know what 24.09.11 denotes? I have two more bottles, should I let these sit around a lot longer?
Also, I had it at room temperature (approx. 72F) then put it in the fridge a few days ago. I let it sit out for about 10 minutes before I opened it. Did I ruin anything in this process?

A- I poured it into a pint glass. The color is an awesome light but murky brown. Very thin head that remained throughout, and some lacing.

S- Sweet and hoppy.

T- Like it smells. A little too strong for my tastebuds, bud I can definitely get used to it.
The high ABV probably takes some getting used to.

M- A little dry, but again, I can get used to it.

O- I'm really looking forward to the other two. One is enough for now.

Entry 12/21/09: This is bottle two of three that my wife got for me last Christmas. The date on the cap reads, "24.09.11". I stored this in my pantry for the last year, and placed it in a cooler set at about 45 degrees for a couple of days. Poured into a tulip glass.

A= Once opened, the contents fizzed out. This caused the sediment to swirl throughout the glass as I poured it as quickly as possible. It looked as thick and chewy as was perceived in the mouthfeel.

S= Honey and raisin bread

T= Very balanced watery sweetness, hop tartness, and alcohol hotness.

M= Medium-heavy viscosity. Smooth aftertaste.

D= I wish I could say, "Keep 'em coming!", but at $20 a bottle I gotta save bottle number three.

4.75/5  rDev +3%

I feel honored to make my first beer review the one and only Trappist Westvleteren 12. The beer Gods shot from the bottle like Raiders of The Lost Ark. Poured out of an 11.2 oz brown bottle with gold cap, and no label.

Apperance - soft white lacing coats the sides of the glass, and clings beautifully.

Smell - Wondeful aroma. Plum, honey, and a bready aroma dance around the nose.

Taste - Smooth mouthful. Taste of sweet malts and breadyness, with a spicy alcohol taste the sneaks up on you. Finishes wonderfully with a slight fruity taste at the back of the tounge.

West 12 trumps any Belgian I have ever had. Honored to be one of the rare few who has had the opportunity to have it pass through my lips. Got 5 more bottles, so i'm dying to see what will await me in two to three years when I open the next bottle. I can only imagine the taste after it's been cellared a few years.

4.75/5  rDev +3%

Finally i opened one of my two bottles purchased and send it by BRABANDER (THANKS!)in Netherlands

put it in the fridge for short time to enjoy flavors, brown color,

Served in a flute glass with 2 fingers of foamy head, oustanding complex aromas predominant raisins,bread... sweet aromas..candy..

the mouthfeel was so great! wow...

the best beer!
CHEERS!

4.75/5  rDev +3%

Appearance- Burnt-orange brown with lacey retention after initial finger of head.

Smell- Dark fruits (black currant, plum) but not incredibly stong, even after warming up.

Taste- Complex as a Trappist monk. Sweet on the tip of the tongue with a warm middle. A little note of alcohol warmth but well hidden. The dark fruits now come out with greater intensity and phenols from the yeast's work let it be known.

Mouthfeel- Big, smooth, but a little bright alcohol is noticed in the back of the mouth.

Overall- It's a big beer but expertly well-rounded. There's a reason why people have hyped this.