Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
World-Class
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Belgian Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

#47

Ratings: 6,592 |  Reviews: 1,924

THANKS WES!

Poured into a Westvleteren chalice. 21.05.11 stamped on the cap.

A: A deep red mohogany colour. A very tan head with tight bubbles. A lot of sediment in this particular bottle.

S: Raisins, dates, dark cherries, honey, malty goodness accented with vanilla. I cannot stop sticking my nose in the glass.

T: The dark fruits, sweetness of the malts and a fantastic spice. Caramel, caramelized brown sugar and a hint of vanilla are next followed by the alcohol in a very subtle way. So complex and delicious.

M: Very smooth and creamy. The warming sensation from the alcohol is amazing.

D: I wish I had another... and another. I wish I could do this experience justice, I almost didn't write a review.

#BOTG 75! A huge one for tonight, a long time want. Bottled 4-14-11. Poured from bottle into Chimay Chalice. Pours blood brown/red. Super creamy off white head that doesn't go away at all. Beautiful. Smell- apple sauce, cinnamon, raisins, prunes, sweet fusel alcohol, ripe pears, dark cherries, dark overly ripe plums. Brilliant. Super complex. Taste- sweet, deep ripe dark fruits, raisins, plum, with a salty sweet ending. Prunes, brandy notes, a tiny bit of alcohol notes, but it doesn't burn at all. Just super smooth. I was wondering how it could possibly be better than Rochefort 10, and it is. It's just so creamy, smooth, deep, complex. Bravo, its the hype.

date on cap: 19.03.08

A: its pours from the 330ml bottle into a nice tulip type glass, dark brown with a big head served at 55f. What can say its the perfect beer.

S: very rich dark raisin and other plum type smells, some mild hop, and a slight bit of alcohol.

T: here where the rubber his the road, its all about the great rich taste to me, there is too much in here for me to figure out, but I know I love it, give me some Trappist cheese and I could die after with no regrets.

M: very full body and depending how much its been aged if its fresh you detect some alcohol, its only gets better with age.

D: I always have 3 in a row, so its dam drinkable to me

I love it aged or not aged

Nice looking bottle. Very pleasant smell. Very nice taste and Good alcohol content. Excellent beer! Good beer for Sunday's relaxing in a sofa. Good also that all the money goes to the monks and charity.

Picked a few bottles up at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam. Initially, I was going to wait until I got back to the States to indulge...but the excitement got the better of me.

I poured the beer in a Chimay chalice. Dark and beautiful...but still transparent.

The smell was complex and earthy. Dried fruit and dark sugar.

Huge build-up to my first taste, and it was not disappointing. Fruity, floral, boozy, earthy. Thick and very complex...it's difficult to point out each individual flavor, because they interact with each other. It was more carbonated than I thought, but the mouthfeel was still great.

Hard to tell if this is the best beer that I have ever had, but I will always remember the day in Nice, France when I first tried this beer. This beer wins for my favorite "beer moment".

Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 6,592 ratings