Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
World-Class
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

#31

Ratings: 6,418 |  Reviews: 1,884

Tried this in 2012, a bottle bought in Beligum shared by a friend. Beer was dark, minimal head, full of sediment. Overall I felt this was over-rated and very boozy.

2.97/5  rDev -35.4%

Maybe a bad batch, but I definitely prefer st. bernardus and rochefort.

2.96/5  rDev -35.7%

Pours dark brown head. Lots going on in the aroma. Dark fruits, sherry, candy, quite a bit going on here. Flavor is very complex, fruit, funk, alcohol, caramel, chocolate. Finishes highly carbonated, but doesn't get in the way of the beer. I could still use less carbonation on this one. Light alcohol notes which melded well with the beer without taking away from the flavors. Overall I can see why people would enjoy this if big boozy belgians are your thing. I personally don't have the want to drink this more than once a year at most.

2.9/5  rDev -37%

2.84/5  rDev -38.3%

2.81/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

A- copper/brown
S- Fruits
T- I didn't get much taste what so ever from this beer due to the carbonation
M- This is the part that I think completely ruined this beer for me. This beer was so heavily carbonated that it felt like it swelled in my mouth and made it hard to get down. Due to this fact I actually contemplated drain pouring, but I sucked it up and finished it.

I will try another bottle I have I don't know if this one was off or what. Once I try the other I will update my review.

2.75/5  rDev -40.2%

330ml bottle into glass snifter.
55°F

$$$

A: Very Cloudy brown body with a small tan head. Very light lacing and only a small ring of bubbly cover. Significant grit on the bottom.

S: Brown sugar and raisins jump out immediately with a slightly hot and slightly solvent character. No hop aroma.

T: Slight cardboard... may be a bit oxidized. Slightly sweet raisin and maple flavors. Spicy yeast character (not much of a surprised based on the appearance) and just enough hops to balance the sweet body. No lingering aftertaste.

M: Medium to light body and light carbonation. Brief carbonic bite that caught me off guard.

D: This particular bottle is unimpressive and not particularly enjoyable. There is definite potential here, but I'll need to track down another bottle to realize.

O: I think I bought a defective bottle. Very disappointing. I'm sure that this one can perform better, but I'll need to come back and revise when I get a chance to sample the beer again. Hopefully for Christmas.

2.75/5  rDev -40.2%

2.56/5  rDev -44.3%

2.52/5  rDev -45.2%

2.5/5  rDev -45.7%

2.25/5  rDev -51.1%

2.17/5  rDev -52.8%

Bottle courtesy of Steve via an IP trade this week. Thank you for the opportunity! My old balls still remember when this beer traded highly, never saw stateside distribution, and was ranked the top beer on this site. Bout time to get around to drinking and reviewing I guess. Cap reads 16.02.13 which makes this an 08 if my cap translation is up to par.

Pours a rusty brown with some spotted bubbles. Looks like mud- butt toilet water to be honest.

Smells of yeasty prunes with a splash of almond.

Taste is watery raisin juice and a touch of almond bark and cherry thrown on top. Feel is watered down and thin. What the hell is going on here?

Maybe I'm on hidden camera...in fact, I hope so. Maybe I'd chuckle and wag my finger at the scalawag who expertly placed their bullshit attempt at a quad in this bottle and expertly recapped it. If I'm not being tricked, then I'm a healthy mix of bewilder-pissed. Not since watching The Happening and feeling a palpable loss of all respect for M. Night have I been this bewildered. Prankster Monk possibility aside, this is one "world class" beer that's hitting my fucking drain.

Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 6,418 ratings