Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

1.24/5  rDev -73.1%

1.25/5  rDev -72.9%

1.88/5  rDev -59.2%

1.99/5  rDev -56.8%

Absolutely garbage if your a true beer nerd. Taste like a budweiser with some raisin and plum notes, on top of it being extremely difficult to get this beer does not live up to its hype at all, pure malty shit bomb.

2.17/5  rDev -52.9%

Bottle courtesy of Steve via an IP trade this week. Thank you for the opportunity! My old balls still remember when this beer traded highly, never saw stateside distribution, and was ranked the top beer on this site. Bout time to get around to drinking and reviewing I guess. Cap reads 16.02.13 which makes this an 08 if my cap translation is up to par.

Pours a rusty brown with some spotted bubbles. Looks like mud- butt toilet water to be honest.

Smells of yeasty prunes with a splash of almond.

Taste is watery raisin juice and a touch of almond bark and cherry thrown on top. Feel is watered down and thin. What the hell is going on here?

Maybe I'm on hidden camera...in fact, I hope so. Maybe I'd chuckle and wag my finger at the scalawag who expertly placed their bullshit attempt at a quad in this bottle and expertly recapped it. If I'm not being tricked, then I'm a healthy mix of bewilder-pissed. Not since watching The Happening and feeling a palpable loss of all respect for M. Night have I been this bewildered. Prankster Monk possibility aside, this is one "world class" beer that's hitting my fucking drain.

2.25/5  rDev -51.2%

2.5/5  rDev -45.8%

2.52/5  rDev -45.3%

2.56/5  rDev -44.5%

2.75/5  rDev -40.3%

330ml bottle into glass snifter.
55°F

$$$

A: Very Cloudy brown body with a small tan head. Very light lacing and only a small ring of bubbly cover. Significant grit on the bottom.

S: Brown sugar and raisins jump out immediately with a slightly hot and slightly solvent character. No hop aroma.

T: Slight cardboard... may be a bit oxidized. Slightly sweet raisin and maple flavors. Spicy yeast character (not much of a surprised based on the appearance) and just enough hops to balance the sweet body. No lingering aftertaste.

M: Medium to light body and light carbonation. Brief carbonic bite that caught me off guard.

D: This particular bottle is unimpressive and not particularly enjoyable. There is definite potential here, but I'll need to track down another bottle to realize.

O: I think I bought a defective bottle. Very disappointing. I'm sure that this one can perform better, but I'll need to come back and revise when I get a chance to sample the beer again. Hopefully for Christmas.

2.75/5  rDev -40.3%