Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
World-Class
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

#34

Ratings: 6,509 |  Reviews: 1,906

4.88/5  rDev +6.1%

very healthy, medium consistency foam head from pour. tan and billowy, not level. head clinging to the sides as it recedes, sediment settled on top. dark mahogany color.
smell is not strong, but there does seem to be some dark fruit aroma. otherwise nothing to smell(?).
taste catches my attention right away. dark fruit. alcohol. plums. fig. malt. toffee.
2nd pour yields a more level, creamy head.
what's missing in this (and preferably) is the rich Belgian yeast that is so prevalent in most all the Belgian brews. even the St. Bernardus has ample amounts of the rich yeasty flavor which I grew to love and then over indulge in to the point of staying away from the Belgians for quite a while. but this does not have that overpowering yeast and richness.
slathering it down the back of my throat I can taste the toffee and malt and syrup qualities. this is genuinely an incredible brew. I try not to let the rarity of it influence my perception but I am very enamored with this, and the other two (8 and blonde) I have tried. the alcohol burn is not an unpleasant one. it actually is very smooth and delicious.
I gave this excellent ratings. only the smell is lower due to the fact I cannot smell much, but that alone is also a great quality-nothing overpowering, ya know? I realize I gave the st. bernardus a higher rating but that was back when I was less refined and experienced and I was blown away with the beer. I haven't had a st bernardus in a while, and maybe it's time to try one (maybe side by side with the west12?) but from memory, this is a smoother, more stable, taste and I really think this is better in my opinion.

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

Loved the mouthful caramel malty flavor. A very complex flavor with a rather deep finish. I just do not understand why it is under so much hype as it is a great beer but the availability should not influence the impression of the beer itself. I just think there are other rather similar excellent beers in the same style. However, I would still like to drink it again ;-).

4.86/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely the best belgium beer I have had. It is the perfect beer to sip and enjoy every last drop. Nice aroma and color but the taste is unmatched. Since this is really hard to get I had to be careful to rate it based on what I feel it really is, but is is fantastic. Since there was no 4.95 review, I had to give it 4.75.

Beer rating: 4.6 out of 5 with 6,509 ratings