Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)
4.6/5
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

(Yellow Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001

#32

Ratings: 6,400 |  Reviews: 1,881
4.88/5  rDev +6.1%

Courtesy of mwa423.

Pours a silky beer red/brown mud hut color with an inch of medium bodied but long lasting tanish/beige head. Retains in the glass remarkably.
Smell has got sweet malts, grain, banana bread, and spice.
Taste has different flavors on each drink. I get spice and sweet malt through the first few drinks, then becomes spicy with some non-citrus fruit on the next few sips. They blend together greatly.
I stopped drinking this nearly 3 minutes ago and I've still got some Belgian spice and grain on my palate.
One of my friends said this, and I agree, this is a much better gulper than a sipper. You do the math...

4.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black but not fully opaque, light ruby hue. Pours a one finger dense head. It is quite beautiful.

Aroma: Molasses, liquorice, medicinal characteristics and sweetness.

Taste: Dominated by rich and malty molasses. It's very sweet, with medicinal flavour and cough syrup stickiness. Warming alcohol all the way through. Like rich fruit cake.

Mouthfeel: Fairly heavy body, oily, rather light on the carbonation.

Overall: Well, I wouldn't miss the chance, even if it did cost me 19,5 EUR! This is from the new batch, released to make some extra profits for the monastery. I heard that there was a small batch at my local pub in Helsinki, Kuikka, and I had to try one before they run out. It's obviously a great beer, but I personally prefer Rochefort 10 -- this is just too sweet for me. It would go well with a rich chocolate dessert or fruit cake and it's fitting for Christmas time. Not worth the insane price tag though. I do feel that the praise for this beer is partly just due to the difficulty in obtaining it.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Normally I wouldn't want to review a beer I've only had a small sample of but this is something I may never get the chance to try again so its now or never. Thanks to Vickie (LifeIsGood) for providing me with this opportunity.

Pours a deep brown color with a decent looking tan head that leaves considerable lacing. Again, this is a small serving so I'm sure this would be all the more amazing if I was working with a full bottle.

Smells of sweet brown sugar, dark fruit, slightly alcoholic (though not as strong as ABV may indicate) with some bready notes, a little nutty and some chocolate in the background. Truly an amazing work of art going on here.

Taste is stongly reminiscent of dark fruits (fig, raisin) with notes of caramel and chocolate present throughout. Subtle sweetness that lingers.

Nice mouthfeel, very smooth with medium carbonation. The feeling as it glides across the palate is almost indescribable. A true sipper that I would love to savor throughout the night if only I could obtain a decent amount worth of it. Now all I have to do is make a trip to Belgium so I can (hopefully) obtain a full case worth for about 40 bucks. Trying this should be a goal of any BA and I am just glad I was able to fulfill it, even to this small extent, so early in my journey.

4.4/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.12/5  rDev -10.4%

4.81/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed in a goblet. Consumed most without yeast.

A. Super dark ruby. Nice head to a fine bubble rim.

S. Charred roasted malts. Figs. Toffee. Semi sweet.

T. Ohhh the sweet is balanced with matured walnuts, raisin, green apple, and figs. A little bitter finish.

M. Super smooth. Medium carbonation. Extra full body.

O. Very happy to see this available at my local watering hole. I paid 25 bux and I'm satisfied. Damn fine. Certainly worth the hype. Its a very strong beer not subtle by any means.

4.77/5  rDev +3.7%

I bought a bottle of this almost two years ago, then gave another bottle to my brother as a gift, and tonight, on Good Friday 2009, we're drinking our bottles together. They are 11.2 oz bottles - mine has a date of 10.02.10. Unlabeled, with the yellow cap. 10.2% ABV. Decanted into chalices.

Appearance is darker than I expected. Almost like a cola. Nice frothy, off-white head. Caramel color, with reddish edges. Mostly opaque. Great head retention - it lasted the whole time I drank it. You can see multiple columns of carbonation. (Side note: we poured off most of the beer, but not all of it; there's just under an inch of yeasty sludge at the bottom.

Aromas are great, and they only got better as the beer warmed up. The chalice really helped to open things up. Definite yeast aromas, some hints of cola. More smells of dark fruit: cherry, plum. Apples - especially apple skins. As it warms, there's more brown sugar and maple syrup. I really loved sticking my nose in this. There were so many other spices I just couldn't identify.

Tastes were very good, too. Definitely sweet, but not overly sweet. It's balanced, but there's no real bitterness to it - as in, no hint of any hops. Aromas of yeast, apples, apple cider, with a strong bready center. As it warmed, there it grew more tart, like granny smith apples. Tastes of apple skins at the back of the throat. It definitely hides the alcohol, although I can feel it.

Mouthfeel is awesome. It's so wonderfully smooth. Great carbonation, but it doesn't bite the tongue. Very consistent.

This is a very drinkable beer. You need to sip it because of the higher alcohol, but it's really fun to drink. Very dynamic - most definitely worth trying. If you can get ahold of a bottle - do it! This would go really well with a good meal. My wife said this beer was "savory and sweet, like a good roast." I could see this going well with a big platter of fruit, crusty bread, and cheese.

4.67/5  rDev +1.5%

A: A deep reddish brown color, nearly opaque. A nice looking beige head of about 3 cm with good retention leaves plenty of lacings.

S: A deep and rich smell. Plenty of fruity aromas (cherries, plums, overripe strawberries), raisins, wet wood. The malty backbone is thick and "dark" and is accompanied by a prominent spicy aroma. A hint of yeast. The alcohol is noticeable, but very integrated with the rest of the aromas. A great smell.

T: The taste is nothing but fantastic. A noble and rich malty backbone and semi-sweet cherries converge with a prominent, but not very strong, taste of alcohol. At this point, the beer is quite reminiscent of a fine liqueur. Hints of chocolate and coffee. Raisins adds another sweet component. Earthy yeast and spices balance the massive sweetness. Faint nutty aromas, and perhaps just a minimal hint of tartness. In the finish, the alcohol is very noticeable and has a sweet and warming character. But the alcohol is very well integrated and suits the beer nicely. The finish is slightly bitter with notes of spices, iron and grass.

M: Full-bodied with a velvety smooth texture. The rather high level of carbonation is well suited for the overall character.

D: What to say about this legendary brew? Well, I think it's almost as good as it's reputation say it is. It's just unbelievably tasty with an impressive complex character. This one comes really close to perfection.

4.8/5  rDev +4.3%