Trappist Westvleteren Blonde | Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

good
Read the review
Trappist Westvleteren BlondeTrappist Westvleteren Blonde

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

(Green Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

I felt like I paid way too much for this in Brussels until I tried it...Poured from its simple brown bottle with 03.12.11 stamped on the green cap into a Chimay chalice.
It has a golden body wth lots of carbonation working its way through. A wonderfully pillowy white head sits atop this magnificent looking brew. Lacing is left all over the place.
Smells of hay, grass, and funkyness I guess. Kind of a Sasion thing going on. Citrus.
Picks up where the nose was with those grassy/hay flavors. Citrus and hops are there.
This thing is smooth and creamy beyond belief! Some dryness going on.
I wish I had brought back two or three more bottles so I could continue drinking this through the night and write an essay on it. I still have the 8 and 12 to try and my god, this thing has set the bar quite high...can't wait for those.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Hazed sunflower gold with an ivory meringue white head that retains fairly well. On the nose there are pumpkin seeds, roses, carnations, coriander, and lemon, with an unexpected tropical undercurrent of pineapple, passion fruit, and papaya that's matched, kinda weirdly, with a musty cellar/fermenting dough character. The flavor is all fruit punch and mimosa, reeling with pineapple, orange, kiwi, and banana, with hints of apricot and mirabelle, and coriander, dandelion and yeast around the edges. I think I detect something fennel-ish as well, and some sweet cashew nuttiness. The texture is spot-on for the flavor, light and soft and cloud-like, but not insipid or thin. A very tasty and interesting pale ale, as you might expect from a brewery of such stature.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Bought at a bottle shop in Brussels in May. Wish I had bought more than one.

Gorgeous foam and lacing, excellent head retention.

Smells of brett and some other funk. Lots of different fruit and spice flavours, but hard to distinguish specifics. Nice hop presence - grassy and floral. Dry. Lingering bitterness.

Lots of flavor for only 5.8%

The only thing wrong with this beer is it's small size and lack of availability!

Def. worth seeking out. I think I prefer this to the Quad.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Thank you harrymel for bringing this one back from Belgium for me. You rock dude!

19-10-11 (whatever that means?)

A: It was almost as if a bright, unfiltered orange was infused with Alka-Seltzer. Cloudy as hell, and the head was both frothily white and glorious!

S: Weird how it contains a mild bit of fruity sourness, along with a fresh yeasty quality that was a great substitute for the hop bombs that we (Americans) often produce and pass off as a Begian PA.

T: Completely devoid of sugar and has sort of a "chalky" finish. Slightly mothball-esque in its disposition, slightly hoppy and citrusy (but the Belgian-y character wins out overall).

M: The more I drank of this, I got a great bit of white pepper added to the soft citrus, and the yeast wasn't like anything found in America. The lacing was splotchy.

O: This is the "anti-American" Belgian PA for sure... and, to my mind and tastes, it's infinitely more drinkable than anything that American produces also.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

My first experience with this beer was at In De Vrede. I, like any self respecting quad lover, ordered the westy 12, whilst my wife ordered the Blonde, after all I was driving...

It had a very light look, but almost a sediment type look to it, a little cloudy.

The taste of this was just really great. Even after my palate was quote unquote tainted by my 12, it was very smooth and crisp. Definitely a beer i would crave after a long day of work, very refreshing.

4.26/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours murky straw-colored - almost like a Witbier. The enormous white head is thick at first then airy. Dissipation takes some time and leaves fantastic lacings.

S: Dry malt and perhaps some wheat. Kind of sour and yeasty (almost like the Brett in Orval). Lots of citric notes. Spicy.

T: Dry and sour. Malty and yeasty, even here the Brett-like yeast is dominating. Peppery and citirc. A faint tone of wheat as well.

M: Long sour lovely aftertaste - reminds me of a Gueuze but stays longer. Body is smooth and medium. Carbonation very moderate. DRY!

O: My expectations were high, and still not high enough...

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Bought at Beer Temple in Brussels for 8 euros. Drunk on 10/25/11 at 11:30pm in Paris, France out of a Rochefort chalice for the glass's christening.

A - Light golden color. Slightly hazy. Short, creamy head.

S - Citrus, refreshing, subtle.

T - Imagine a salad of fresh hops with lemon drizzled over top. The citrus flavors grab your attention up front, but the hops are there. As the citrus fades, the hops come out and leave a wonderfully dry, hoppy aftertaste that isn't abrasively overdone like with most American IPAs. This is what I've been looking for all these years, but have never found with all the IPAs and BPAs I've had.

M - Smooth as a baby's bottom. Light, but not too. Great for any occasion.

O - What more can one say? Never had a better beer. American Pale Ales are either too sweet or too abrasively hopped - or not interesting enough. Belgians are too boozy or also too sweet. I don't like sweet things, so the citrus provides a perfect refreshing replacement for sugariness. I love hops, but have never had a beer this light, refreshing, and balanced with enough hoppiness. Drinking this made my eyes water like when I read a great poem or see one of my favorite paintings in person. I doubt I'll ever have another blonde this good. Well worth every penny. Overhyped due to its rarity? Of course. Deserving of its fame? You bet.

4.61/5  rDev +8.5%

had the pleasure of traveling to the Westvletern brewery and had a glass of this at In Dre Verde, the monk's tiny restaurant and bar. This was by far the sexiest blonde i've ever seen in a glass. It was very cloudy and had a beautiful head and just from looking at it I could tell that it would be delicious. Not only was this beer rich and complex but it was smooth as hell too. It really flowed down my throat and i was pleasently surprised by the least known of the three offerings from this magical brewery. can't wait to try the bottle i brought home

Trappist Westvleteren Blonde from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)