Trappist Westvleteren Blonde | Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

good
Read the review
Trappist Westvleteren BlondeTrappist Westvleteren Blonde

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

(Green Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002

Reviews: 437 | Ratings: 876
3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

I tried this at In de Vrede in Westvleteren. Unfortunately I had it side-by-side with the 8 and the 12, so this review is slightly biased against the blond.

The appearance was very nice, with a thick pillowy head transforming into nice Belgian lace on the glass. The liquid itself was clear golden color, looked like any pale ale. I didn't notice much if any yeasties in this fresh (1 month old) sample.

The flavor was mild, more malty than hoppy, and couldn't compare with the symphony-in-a-glass next to it. I drank this beer only out of commitment to a plan, because the 12 was so damn inviting next door.

I think this would be a good session beer if it was easier to find. Since it's not, I don't mind drinking any number of pale ales in its place.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

The Westvleteren Blonde comes in an unlabeled 33cl brown bottle with a date of 12.08.05 printed on the cap. It pours into my tulip glass a wonderful sunshine/goldenrod color with a creamy frothy two finger head that lingers with massive active carbonation. Very nice. Aromas of fruity sun dried grains with a lovely floral, spicy, herbal green hoppiness about it. Lots of light fruity character with hints of apple, lemon and orange. Hay with some earthy, peppery yeastiness coming across as well. An wonderful aroma to be had here.

First sip brings a nice fruity, sun washed grainy maltiness accentuated by a hint of clove and pepper and plenty of earthy yeast tones throughout. Mildly spicy, floral herbal hops poke in midway through each sip. Apple, lemon and light citrus tones with a touch of fresh baled hay. Finishes clean with a lingering fruitiness. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Goes down really smooth and refreshing. A delight on a nice sunny day like today. Truly a tasty blonde ale and one that I would imbibe much more often given the chance. One day I will get to Belgium and sample this at the source, that much is for certain. Ev, thanks again for giving me the chance to try this one!

3.42/5  rDev -19.5%

Served from chilled bottle into a snifter glass. In the bottle, the beer appeared a hazy deep yellow to straw color with a light dusting of yeast on the bottom. The yeast were not chunky, but reminded me of grains of salt. It poured a similar deep straw color, very hazy with a robust head of medium sized bubbles that stuck to the side of the glass. This beer changed significantly in both aroma and flavor as I drank it.

The first aroma was of bitter lemon zest. This quickly dissipated into an extremely familiar aroma... I brewed a hefe weizen that smelled EXACTLY like this. The yeasts aroma was unmistakable, it was Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast.

The flavor was more of a banana and mild clove with hop bitterness way in the background. This also changed and the second sip gave way to more hops. The third sip to even more. It was a dry grassy type of hop flavor, but there was something else there. A strange sensation that I have never tasted in another beer. Not that it was a good sensation, it was numbing the back of my tongue. I continued to have this sensation throughout the beer and it was kind of upsetting. I didn't want my senses numbed since I will have a hard time ever locating another bottle of this.

I liked the hefe I brewed better... same banana/yeasty aroma and flavor without the concerning numbing characteristic.

3.59/5  rDev -15.5%

I am drinking the final Westy 6 from my Father's Day 2005 case. I am drinking it from a Three Philosophers goblet.

Appearance: The ale is a nice yellow color, similar to that of applejuice, with a hazy body that contains a small amount of sediment.

Smell: Unfortunately, the beer does not give off much aroma. There is a light hop smell, but nothing significant.

Taste: The ale has an interesting taste that I can't quite taste. It is a yeasty flavor, possibly influenced by the water used in brewing. Either way, it add a peculiar kick to the ale. On top of that, there is a light hop presence to add a hint of counterpunch. The overall effect is a drying of the mouth that requires another sip.

Mouthfeel: The ale sits well on the tongue and the relatively low alcohol content makes this the closest Trappist ale to a session beer.

Drinkability: Drinkable enough. It's not my first choice when I reach for a Trappist, but it is not a bad ale overall.

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%

cap dated xx.11.04, so brewed in nov 2003. this beer is 2 1/4 years old. has been stored in mostly dark (incandescent only) and temp-controlled enviroment since being shipped from belgium.

large head poured in chalice glass. this beer has distinct odor of the westvleteren yeast, sort of odd without the other backing odors in the 8 and 12. yeast is very compact on bottom of bottle and does not get in glass.

very pleasant smell. much fresher than the taste itself.

I do not find this beer as easily drinkable as it should be at this alcohol level. IT is curious to taste the westvleteren yeast without the stronger elements in their other beers.

aftertaste typical westvleteren, if i didnt' know better might think it was the darker beers.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Cloudy blonde. Head is ok, but the remaining lace is very good and lasting.

Tastes is reminiscent of Orval. Notes that remind me of bret, but not as funky (or as good) as Orval. That funky edge is what makes you go back for more.

Reminds me of the wild ale Russian River made from a blonde (Redemption?), but RR's is better as well. Probably from the bret or bret-like funky tastes.

Many thanks to blitheringidiot for hooking me up with this fine and hard-to-find brew.

4.11/5  rDev -3.3%

I bought this bottle about 3 years ago, time to clear some of the cellar.

Pours a hazy straw color and makes a dense white head, head retention is very good, lacing is quite nice. Aroma is rather faint, there is a bit of caramel and alot of yeasty esters. Really nice nutty caramel flavor, slightly sweet honey, light spices and light fruit, hint of bittering in the finish. Mouthfeel is superb, very rich and creamy, gently coating the palate and then closes with a clean, dry finish. There's nothing overrated about a Westy, even the little Blonde with quite a bit of aging, very enjoyable. Oh, if I could only session this!

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Note: This beer has been aged for 2 years.

This beer pours a cloudy, yeast filled dirty blonde. It leaves a thick white head that drips down the side of the glass. The aroma of this beer is sweet, lime, honey, plum, fruit cake. As I taste this beer the flavors previously mentioned come out. The lemon rind, honey, bitterness, all are enhanced by the crisp carbonation of this brew. This belgian is delicious one that satisfies with complex flavors and crisp taste.

Tasted at the In De Vrede cafe over the road from the brewery. Presented in a Westvleteren challis, hazy straw yellow with plenty of bright white compact head perfectly filling the challis. Aroma is of honey and feint cloves, with the very slightest hint of flowery hops - subtle and nicely balanced. Taste is so well balanced it is hard to pick out individual flavours, maybe some orange peel over the malt background, with a little light clove spiciness. Finish is nicely balanced with crisp refreshing bitterness from the hops, but beyond that there is no hops flavour dominance noticeable. Mouth was light and fluffy, but not watery. Complemented the flavours nicely. Very drinkable on a hot day (which it was when I visited). A pity I was limited to only one as I had to drive back to Paris. Looking forward to trying the 8 and 12's I have brought home.

3.84/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A BA pal brought this guy, the 8, and the 12 from England to New York, just for me. You rock, dude. That having been said...

I was all excited about these guys. And, thus far into this rating, I have had the 6 and the 8. So far, I am pleased with them, though not overly... thrilled, I'd say. Good beers, but I don't seem to enjoy them as much as others have. But, I am still very happy and thankful for the experience.

Now, the review... Pours a cloudy, hazy, golden color, very muddy, with lots of white head and tons of lacing. Smells like... Hennepin? La Fin? Sweet, malty, fruity, with a sour/sweet thing going on.

Tastes dry, light sweet maltyness. There's a crackery type aftertaste at the end, slightly toasty. Mouthfeel is smooth and not watery, but extremely dry at the end- like, I want to reach for water type dry. Fairly drinkable, but the dryness thing is just... I don't know, maybe one has to be in the mood for it. A good brew.

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hazy with kick ass lacing, good head, fluffy white foam. I like what I see. Smells sharp and yeasty... a very inviting odor.
The taste and mouthfeel dont quite match the smell and appearance. There's a roasty/toasty crackery thing going on.
I haven't had too many belgian pale ales and it strikes me that this is as it's meant to me... so this may be better as per style than I'm giving it credit for but there is something a bit lacking for me.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

11.2oz bottle from Vienna Whole Foods, Vienna, VA.

Poured into a Rapscallion snifter, formed a 3/4" bright white head over the translucent golden brew. The head stays as is, and lacing is sticky and prevalent. Aroma is sweet pale maltiness with a tinge of spicing and a touch of some citrus. Taste starts with some light malt sweetness, touches on the spices and citrus again, and closes with a combination of these flavors lingering on the tongue. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is great. Least favorite of the three, but the bar had been set pretty high by the other two.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Well I have worked my way "down" the Westy ladder and enjoyed the trip! While not as good as the 8 or 12, you can still tell that this beer is crafted with skill and care. Hazy golden yellow with a super thick white head that lasts a long time. Thick sheets of lacing. Aroma of citrus and floral hops. Medium-bodied and dry with spicy hops and citrus flavoring. Wonderful balance throughout. The finish is lightly bitter with yeast and spice flavors. I’d love to have any of the Westy brews again but considering the hefty price tag I’ll probably stick with the 12 from here on out.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Holy Frikin floaties. I have never seen so many floaties outside a Fantome brew. big white fluffy head, stubborn carbonation, yellow body darkened by the floaties.
S - loral hops on a light biscuity background.
T - Slightly sweet (but not by Belgian standards, which is why I like this one so much). Elegant long lasting bitterness. This may be my favorite Westvleteren.
MF- Medium bodied, smooth.
D - This is a great beer, goes with food, or on its own. GREAT!

4.42/5  rDev +4%

This poured to a bright but solid gold with a medium head that slowly faded. Lace is somewhat minimal but looks nice.

The smell is very nice, bringing a nice combination of herbs and hops on top of a light malt base. The taste is crisp, and the hops definitely stick out. The mouthfeel is fairly full for the style, while drinkability is very good.

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

No label, just the famous green cap. Pours a hazy yellow like any blonde with little head. Smells strongly of hops. The initial taste on the tongue is definitely very hoppy, almost like an american Pale Ale. It lingers for a long time. The more and more sips you have it begins to loose its hop and starts to evolve into more of a traditional blonde flavor.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Yeast and malt that is consistent in a medium grainy but smooth mouthfeel. If only I could have this all night. Very fresh from Belgium and worth the shipping. Some floral and yeast aroma.
Five and a half years later, second bottle aged for the same amount of time, either 2003 and 2004. Beautiful blond, creamy, delicate.A little yeast in sediment.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a slightly hazy yellowish amber, topped with a two finger marshmallowy white head, highly carbonated with a mass of bubble streams, leaves webs of lacing. Grows cloudy when the yeast is swirled and added from the bottle.
Tart aroma, wet hay, fruity, with a slightly 'lambicish' nose.
Flowers, leaves, hay and tobacco on the taste, it tingles my lips a little. It's quite malty, deceptive given the color, some spices, strong cheese, with a nutty aftertaste. Unplaceable leather/pine taste.
Medium bodied.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Golden yellow with creamy white head. Tons of lace. Lots of initial carbonation. Slightly hazy body.

Smell: Very earthy, grass/hay filled nose.

Taste: Dry, slightly bitter hoppy taste. Herbal.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body. Very nice mouthfeel. Wonderful on the palate. Very clean.

Drinkability: Very drinkable beer. I could drink this all night. Too bad I only have one bottle left.

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a bottle that I brought back from Belgium last summer so there ain't no label or born on date.

Rock hard white head that last along time and collapses into what looks like a volcano of head in the center of the glass. A cloudy golden liquid supports this heavenly head.

The aroma is very earthy but as the beer warms, other phenolic start to climb out of hiding. The aroma is in no way BIG, but it is very complex.

This is very subtle tasting beer. It is not sweet but does not finish paticularly dry. The hop bitterness beats up the roof of my mouth and lingers well past the last of the liquid. This post finish is probably the thing I like best about this beer. The spiciness plays more and more with my tongue as I drink more of it.

The mouthfeel is tricky. It starts highly carbonated which almost makes the mouthfeel light, but as the carbonation dies and the liquid lays upon the tongue, the fullness can be appreciated and I would call it medium.

A very nice beer to enjoy on a rainy day. The beer is not big in any aspect but makes up for any lacking in its mixture of elements. The spicy taste and the subtle phenolics are my favorites.

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

Label Lingo and bottle babble: Uhhh….I could describe the plain brown brown bottle if ya want? Just the cap is all there is to describe.

Light straw hay hues with bubbly retained eggshell head cap scattered across the surface. Cloudy haze with bits and pieces of yeasty particles settling to the bottom of the glass. Steady carbonation streams rising up in a mini tulip glass. Head cap rises with swirls leaving some lace.

Phenolic aromas and barnyard saison like airy with some medicinal wafts.

First Swigs: Brisk yeasty bone dry lingering aftertaste. Medicinal with a touch of bananas. Some leafy suggestion and light herbal vegetal spice notes of cloves and celery. Clean malt background followed by whisps of vanilla peeking out. Towards the finish, some awl-kee-hawl esters evolving.

Flows like liquid air (As strange as that sounds,) which fits the style perfectly. Goes back way too easily. Bone dry. Zesty. Plenty of lingering carbonation. Little traces of awl-kee-hawl and clean ending.

Last Swigs: My Christmas present to me. Dry light airy hay. This is a saison, cloves & light funky “stinky feet.”

Beer is good. Happy beering.

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%

Done in a vertical X-mas Day tasting as a special treat from my beerbud! Thanks to the BlitheringIdiot for the Westy 6,8, and 12 that we shared for a Christmas day celebration!

Bottle dated 12-08-05
Poured out a cloudy lemon yellow with a ton of yeasty chunks floating throughout. Very thick and creamy white head that was only a thin, but nice and consistant layer. Wonderful scents of saisons, belgian yeast, bananas, chardonnay, and spices. Dry and slightly bitter at the edges. Black unsweetened tea. The flavors get better with each sip. Good amount of carbination, but yet it is not too much. Bit of foaming up over your tongue, but nothing too extreme. The feel is just right for the style. Light feeling, it just flows through your mouth. Very easy drinker, but not one I would pick for a regular drinker -if it was one that was just normally sitting around here and there that is.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from the green-capped bottle into a chalice. A clean orange color with a white frothy head. The aroma on this beer is outstanding. Lots of apple, pear, and sweet alcohol aromas dance together up to my nose. The flavor is outstanding as well. It is malty, bready, and sweet all the time. There are a few light fruit flavors noticable in the beer. I can't pin down exactly what kind of fruit, but I think there is some pear and a touch of orangy citrus. This beer very clean on the palate and I could drink it all day if I could find that kind of supply.

Notes: I had been wanting to try the Westvleteren 12, 8, and Blonde for a long time. I had all three on the same day and the Blonde is by far my favorite of the 3 despite the hype around the Westvleteren 12.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear pale golden straw and then chunky and hazy when the sediment decided to leave the bottle and enter the glass. The head was comprised of very fine bubbles which persistently stayed around to lace the glass.

The aroma was spicy and lightly fruity. Some citrus notes and grassy aromas were present.

The flavor was grassy and hoppy with a citrus bittering and brash hoppiness. The spice presence in the nose was present in the flavor and contributed to the complexity.

The finish was dry and hoppy with lasting hop bittering and lasting spice that stayed long into the aftertaste. The body was medium and crisp due to the carbonation.

33 cl bottle. Still has price tag on back of $8.99. Code on top of cap says 17.10.03. A nice Belgian Pale Ale. Not worth the coin it took to purchase however, but very nice to drink. Better BPA can be found for much less money.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Label-less bottle, brought over from Belgium by da Bum...bless you, good sir!
Lovely pale orange hue, cloudy, resting under a thick, tapioca-ish, creamy crown of foam...angelic aroma, a zesty, spicy, but still mellow blend, soft and slightly citric, bits of lemon rind and ginger flit about...good stuff.
Sweetness on the tongue, too, rich and creamy mouthfeel, wondrous texture, really fills the mouth, and stays long on the palate. Light bodied, exquisite drinkability, a beer any good monk (and I'm tryin' to be one, lord, I am!) should surely deserve to luxuriate with throughout the remainder of a well-won day.
Probably the finest session ale ever brewed...no stretch here!
A superb little beer, absolutely delightful!

Trappist Westvleteren Blonde from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)