Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) | Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)
sintsixtus.be

Style: Dubbel

(Blue Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-03-2001

Ratings: 2,175 |  Reviews: 824

3.75/5  rDev -16.3%

4.28/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

33cl bottle best by 11th November 2014. Served in a Chimay goblet

Appearance: Muddy brown color. Nearly opaque with quite a bit of sediment in the glass. Poured about 1 finger of a creamy light tan head.

Smell: Brown sugar, caramel, red grape, sweet milk chocolate. There's a hint of tartness as well.

Taste: Sweetness upfront balanced out by slight bitterness in the finish. Flavors of raisins, grape, plum, bready malt, slight spice from the yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, soft mouthfeel despite the medium/high carbonation. Gentle alcohol warmth in the throat and chest as it goes down

Overall: Really good beer, but doesn't live up to the hype in my opinion. Considering the great effort or cost that goes into obtaining this, I'll be sticking to more readily available options in the future.

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%

Exp: 8/18/2013
A: very very dark and opaque. small flakes of yeast suspended. Quickly dissipating head, too, dense to see any rising carbonation but there's a little something rising through the center. After sipping, it does form a pretty beautiful creaminess on the surface. Very even lacing.
S: interesting, coffee candy, cherry alcohol syrup, creamy, fiber powder, other complexities I can't describe. Pretty damn impressive.
T: Pretty crazy. I haven't had a beer like this one before. Chocolately. Really nice malt. It tastes like a dark malt and it's perhaps the first beer that I've had where the malt is such a defined flavor. Like malt coffee. And it's beautiful. With a perfect "grain" flavor on top. And while that's 65% of the flavor, sitting right under it, which is more like an unsweet cherry cola. No detection of alcohol.
M: Perfect mouthfeel. Thick and creamy with a very delicate carbonation sting. Unlike any other mouthfeel in a beer I've had,
O: An incredibly special beer. Incredibly. I wasn't blown away with the Blonde. Actually disappointed, which made me skeptical about how this one would be. But this one lives up to it's fetishized name. With that said, I'm not jumping up and down saying, this is the most delicious beer I've ever had. Dubbels are not my style. But this one is the holy grail of Dubbels. Magical. It was worth the 10 euros I paid for it (please dont bash me!).

3.71/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

My bottle is dated February 2014, one year from now, so I guess it's a couple of years old.

A: A dulled bottle brown body with a creamy light beige head which clings to the sides of the glass.

S: Mildewy dried prunes/figs/dates and Cointreau. Nothing else.

T: Not registering any big flavour up front but it's quite crisp. Initially dry but sweetens up slightly. A tad bitter but pleasantly so and gets better with warmth but really there's not a lot to it. No interesting fruity esters, bubblegum or marzipan. Just a very fine balance of modest, conventional Belgian dark ale flavours, just like in the Westy 12. I can pick out a bit of sherry, a bit of mildew or something like an old wine cork flavour. Alcohol is very well hidden. Virtually no aftertaste. Verging on blandness if not for the crispness.

M: The balance and mouthfeel are the centrepiece. Beautifully creamy and silky and yet crisp at the same time. Also a bit sticky.

O: I thought I'd missed the point with the Westy 12 but now I've been similarly underwhelmed by the 8. If my bottle was a typical example of a two year old bottle then it tastes very ordinary with a bit of age. I'd love to try a fresh one because all these people can't be wrong.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)