Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) | Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)

Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Style: Dubbel

(Blue Cap)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-03-2001

Reviews: 804 | Ratings: 2,080
4.83/5  rDev +7.8%

This pours out a cloudy dark mahogany. The head is stiff and leaves a nice lacing around the edge of the glass. Aroma is sweet at first. Upon further smelling, numerous fruits show up in the malt profile with yeasty esters providing a very complex aroma. Grape juice and a whif of alcohol round out the aroma. The taste is right up there with the aroma. It is smooth, complex. I seem to find something different in every sip with vinous fruits dominating. This is one tasty brew. Mouthfeel is chewy at first, but finishes dry leaving a nice fruity aftertaste. Drinkability is insanely good for a beer this potent.

4.15/5  rDev -7.4%

A christmas gift drank to celebrate the first Eagles trip to the big dance in many a year...
Pours a wonderful dark cherry mahogany color in a goblet glass. Wonderful foam, glass lacing. the aroma is superb, probably the best thing about this beer, a fruity, woody, malty smell. Very, very inviting. I might be able to make it through 40 days of lent on the smell alone.
First sip is suprisingly banal; maybe the hype had skewed my expectations. A bready, malty taste with a hint of alchohol and good hop balance. I served the beer too cold, but as I warmed the goblet with my hands the flavor profiles did come out more, again a wonderful malty blance with hint of raisins and alchohol. I found the balance to be wonderful and suprisingly the aftertaste to also be exceptional, the actual taste seemed a tad flat. Please understand this is an exceptional beer. I honestly have enjoyed others more, the St. Bernardus Pater 6 that I've had I think is superior. I also enjoyed the Chimay I had during the post-game chat more(Chimay blue). Still this is definitely damm good. I will try this beer again, but I will wait till I visit the monks in person, God willing, down the long beer -drinking road.

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%

Blue cap with a US label attached. Purchased for an outrageous price from a bar in Las Vegas (I rationalize it in that it is the ONLY time I have ever seen beer from this brewer for sale in the US- for that reason, I am thankful for the chance). I will not (I hope) let that reflect on my review.

Pours a medium muddy brown with moderate off-white head that dies quickly. Lots of dark muddy yeast at the bottom (I thought I was careful with pour- how did that happen?).

Aroma is semi-sweet, malty, milk chocolate (or is it chocolate milk?) with some dark fruits (cherry), toffee, and perhaps some coffee. A wonderful mix of aromas that I really like. It doesn't get much better.

Flavor- sharper than the aroma, more biting, but very pleasant. Flavor mellows out after a few sips. Alcohol profile is moderate-strong.

Mouthfeel is very full.

Overall, I really enjoy this, and am glad to have tried it. But to be honest, I don't get the hype. This is good, but a few others are equally good or better, in my humble opinion.

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%

Well, it really is the shiznit.
Lucky enough to snag a bottle at Spuyten Duyvil, for $12, which isn't bad considering you're at a great bar like Spuyten.
What strikes me about this beer is that it has all the characteristics one would expect of a great Dubbel, is so incredibly complex, but is so goddamn smooth. It's like great cooking. You should never be able to taste individual ingredients, just the great melded finished product. And this beer is a perfect example.

The major flavor components, to me, were chocolate, truffles, earth, clove, fig, a mixed bag of fruits and nuts. Drinkability is off the charts.

Perhaps the most ringing endorsement: My non-BA buddy was with me, and said "I don't really like Belgian beers," then took a sip and said, "This is undoubtedly the best Belgian beer I've ever had." Word.

4.63/5  rDev +3.3%

Label Lingo and bottle babble: No Label to speak of.

Dark eggplant pour revealing glints of purple light thru the base of the tulip, topped with a huge khaki sand colored head that sticks to the sides like it was painted on. This is perfection pour held to the light, some cloudy haze to the murky pour is evoked. Lace river patterns creep down the glass.

Perky brown sugar sweet and doughy, light scents overall due to a thick foamy cap that just won’t quit.

First Swigs: Dark caramel red apple, cake dough. Confectioners sugar, cake icing. Slightly vinous with a dry clean finish. Almond extract, slightly detectable awl-kee-hawl. Fruity awl-kee-hawl. Fruity cornucopia, of pinapple, red apples and tangerine, followed by ginny, floral esters.

Frothy yet gentle foamer. Nearly perfect light to medium body. Significant carbonation. Might not want to admit this, but this is gulpable! Also, craveable any night of the week.

Last Swigs: Gentle dark sugar air. Sheer delight. Intimidation factor: Done.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark and beautiful amber, clear with some carbination a-rising to the eggshellish thick and creamy head. Decent head retention. Champagne and chardonnay, vineous scents... nice. Very smooth feel, it just runs over your tongue so easily. Very bitey flavor, so nice, very sharp. Taste of alcohol, almost whiskey aftertaste. Good warm tastes. Dry with a bit of sweetness. Drinkability is pretty damn good, but you do taste alot of alcohol, so maybe not a session...
Redid this one again 12/25/04. Done in a vertical X-mas Day tasting as a special treat from my beerbud! Thanks to the BlitheringIdiot for the Westy 6,8, and 12 that we shared for a Christmas day celebration!
-Dating 04-03-07. Dark rootbeery brown with a ton of huge, frothy, khaki head that finally reduced down to a thick ring at the edges. Saison scents in the spiciness. Banana, oranges, and cherries. So nice and dry. Smooth and creamy, but not heavy. Medium maybe. Carbination is present but not overwhelming. Can feel and taste the alcohol, very nice, I enjoy that. Tastes of vanilla and dark fruits, but not sweet. The Blithering one said he tastes almond extract, yep, you can sooo get that, and once you do, that is mostly what you taste. Can smell the almond a ton at the end. The flavors are good in this one, I find it much more enjoyable than the 6. Could djoy a few of these in a sitting quite easily.

4.69/5  rDev +4.7%

Mahogany liquid goes pouring into the goblet and raises a dirty white head that peeks just above the rim, supported by light carbonation. Head gradually dies, filming out across the surface, yet sticks moderately well. The beer is a globe of murk, but caramel-colored highlights show up at the edges. Smells of grape bubblegum come out of the bottle during the pour. In the goblet, the aroma is a bursting forth of purple fruit, especially plums, with a tangy, refreshing nosefeel. The overall suggestion is of elderberry dessert wine... with fresh-cut flower stems and VSOP cognac encrypted deep within. Now to taste. Simpler flavors than I expected, but the balance... I'll have to reconsider everything I've ever meant by "balance," because this is damn near a miracle. Chocolate malted milk, frosted grapes. Wheat bread and honey butter emerge along a separate axis. Wait, did I say this was simple? Maraschino cherries; exhalation brings tastes of amaretto. And then chocolate again: full circle. Slightly mucilaginous mouthfeel like whipped milk would be impressive in itself... but it's the alcoholic element that perfects it: never burning, it adds substance to the body, supporting the framework with its warmth.

Not quite a religious experience of a beer... just profound enough to have me licking the insides of my empty glass.

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

It sits a clear dark brown in the glass with a lacy head about 1 cm thick on top. The aroma is malty with a bit of salty sweetness. The flavors open with a grand entrance of brown sugar, carrot, and smokiness. The middle is dominated by caramel, toffee, and slight fruit flavors. The beer has a magnificently spicy end. This is by all means an excellent beer.

4.28/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Dark chocolate color with thick white foamy head, and some sedimient on the bottom. Beatiful looking beer

Smell: Floral notes and grapefruit notes. Smells exsquisite

Taste: Deep chocolate notes. small sting of alcohol. Tastes of figs and coffee as well.

Mouthfeel: smooth and silky

Drinkability: For an 8 percenter with such a smooth mouthfeel it is very drinkable.

Overall an outstanding beer.

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Yes, it IS worth $6- a bottle.

Into a big Westmalle goblet it looks beautiful but not like a sunset. It looks beautiful because of what the tobacco colored murk promises. A very active and rocky head with nooks and crannies, just like a Thomas' English Muffin.
Vigorous carbonation at first but the head does not overwhelm the glass.

The nose is cocoa and yeast with mild citrus notes, then caramel, vegetal - cabbag-ey, then cookie dough and bready malt. Later a bit port-like. Notes of black cherries get very strong as it warms. (On other occasions I have noted sweet yams, white chocolate, earthy and musty raisins, and malted milk.)

The taste is also very complex and fascinating. Cocoa, prunes, alot of fruit, currents of coffee, mocha and taffy, all with a slightly smoky finish. A mild bitterness lingers at the tail end - it all just gets better and better with every sip. A great balance.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and silky despite all that initial carbonation.

Staggeringly drinkable.
postscript - I must mention a phrase coined by a friend upon tasting this beer for the first time: "...a freight train of flavor"

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

wooha, the good stuff! What can be said about the worlds best dubble (according to hundreds of BAs) that hasnt allready been said. What strikes me is the softness and smoothness of the mouthfeel. The subtleness of the cocoa and powdered sugar in the nose. The classic and impressive sheets of lace. The complexity of the flavor profile. The layers of flavors. Vanilla, cocoa, chocolate, rum, dark berries etc. Alot going on here. Buy this stuff. Enjoy

4.91/5  rDev +9.6%

The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear deep amber brown and then the sediment decided to crawl out of the bottle and it became a chunky, hazy mess. The head was tan and small bubbled and fell slowly to coat the glass as the beer was consumed.

The aroma was deep, deep malt with caramel and dark fruits, namely raisins and prunes. Also present was a pineapple aroma if the nose was held back from the chalice and deep maltiness and dark fruits if held directly above the liquid surface. Alcohol enhanced the aromas and esters and a substantial bready/biscuit aroma was also present in the complexity of it all.

The flavor was malty with caramel and dark fruits, raisins and prunes/plums. There was also a wonderfule biscuit/breadiness to the flavor and a slight spice that added to the complexity. The deep dark caramel and candy flavors were deep and interesting and the alcohol presence added to the impression of all the flavors.

The finish was just even and dried out over time into the aftertaste but the deep dark caramel, dark fruits, and spice complexity last long into the aftertaste and linger. The body was medium full and well done. The alcohol was present in the warming, but was restrained every step of the way from start to finish and at no time did the beer reveal it's 8% secret that it kept so well.

50 cl bottle. Date code on cap 26.11.03. Price of $7.50 still on bottle. This one is still pricey, but beginning to become well worth the price of admission to see the show.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Only thing there is to say about this beer is that the appearance is litle off. The white of the haze together with the brown of the beer give a strange colour that doesn't make you think you're having one of the best beers (I think) there is.
Foam keeps for ever though and the nose is litle hoppy and malty but more than that fruity( apricot like). Taste is full malty followed by fruit and ending very bitter and dry. One of my favorites!

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Deep dark brown with a tan lumpy head with darker brown patches in the foam. Intense lacing.

The aroma of berries rise from the glass.

My neighbors, when I was 8, had an old mulberry tree growing through a fence. We would climb the fence to reach the biggest darkest juiciest berries. I've never tasted anything quite as good until now. There is a pleasant bitterness near the end and the finish is dry and too short but then, anything short of forever would be too short.

Very foamy with champagne-like carbonation feel. Very warming.

I love it.

4.46/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

25.09.06 printed on the cap.
Aroma: Some dark roasted malt with a slight bubble gum edge mixed with mild spices. Overall very mild and a touch coarse.
Appearance: Dark brown glass with a solid half finger of creamy froth of tan with an interesting ring of dirty brown where the head collapsed on itself. The head looks like it is settling in for the long haul, and it did. A smattering of lacing graced my goblet.
Flavor: First blush is the dark roasted malt, then some subtle complex flavors rush over the tongue. Anise, licorice, wet wood, grapes, powdered dry bubble gum, cola, and cocoa. Then, the dark malt rushes back in, mixed with all the flavors for a slow fading after glow. No alcohol tastes noted when chilled, but they slowly emerge as it warms.
Mouthfeel: Spritzy, a touch heavy handed with the carbonation in my view, but as the beer sits it settles down to a nice level. Very smooth with a medium heavy body, but no chew.
Overall Impression: As the beer warms, so does my impression. I’d start this beer out closer to 60 degrees to get the best effect. This is a complex, well made beer, but just didn’t provide the existential, religious, sexual experience other Trappist beers have given me. It is worth seeking, but its current ranking of 6 on the Best of BA seems a touch excessive. Overall, a world class beer that I’m very happy to add to my list.
Many thanks to Brother Stonecrusher for enlightening a simple backwoods Texan.

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle tasted from case bought on 1/1/02. Reddish brown in color with an off white head. Lots of particles. Aromas of dark fruits (plums & raisins), spices, dough, caramel and slight yeast. Mmmm, nice smelling. Tastes are just as complex, if not better, than the smells. Great tasting beer. Alcohol content hidden. Lively carbonation. This is a very good beer - one of my favorites (I’m glad I still have 12 in the cellar).

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

It's time once again to add a little beer to this mug of mine. Since the first addition to the glass was Westvleteren 12, I've decided to keep it in the family and go with Westvleteren 8, the best dubbel on the planet according to those whom I respect and admire.

Pecan shell brown that takes on more of an auburn hue with orange highlights when backlit. The voluminous toast brown head appears frothysoft, but is deceptively firm with a supernatural persistence. This beer is simply beautiful in the glass. Lovely aroma of heavily toasted caramel, dried fruit (apples, figs) steeped in brandy, and spice (cinnamon, allspice). The nose is complex to be sure, although it could be a mite stronger.

Wonderful flavor; delicious. My first impression is that, although there are many flavors to be had in this bottle, the beer is unquestionably a seamless, individual entity. As I drink, I actually have a mental image of a sphere that has multiple and varied components, but is first and foremost a perfectly smooth whole. My first bottle of exceptional wine was an eye opening experience because it introduced me to the concept of what I like to call 'volume'. This beer has an superabundance of volume.

When a beer is this well-crafted, this flavorful, this complex and this nuanced, when it has a body that is at once full and silky smooth, each mouthful seems to completely fill the mouth, to have such a depth and breadth of flavor and body that it expands into three dimensions and push the boundaries of sensation. That, my friends, is the best way that I can devise to describe the loveliness that is Westvleteren 8.

The flavor profile is amazingly similar to the nose, but much more satisfying ('tis the taste, the actual imbibing that I crave). Sweet, dark caramel-toffee, brandy-soaked cherries, leather, good bourbon... combined with a grace and a lightness of touch that will make your very soul weep with pleasure.

Is Westvleteren 8 better than Westvleteren 12? My vote is an unqualified 'yes'. I could drink this every day for the rest of my life and not tire of its myriad charms. This is as soul satisfying and as life affirming as beer gets.

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%

This bottle was aged in Malto's cellar and I believe the age gave this beer an amazing smoothness combined with a chocolate flavour that put me into orbit. I didn't expect the chocolate notes but they were somehow perfect complements to the dark esters and old fruit buried in the body. A truly great beer experience.

3.77/5  rDev -15.8%

Fairly dark brown in hue with obvious beige and auburn highlights; I’d even say there is a suggestion of copper. I can’t see through it. The head was russet in color and at the apex it was a shade over two fingers in height. The bubbles were tightly compacted. Head retention was excellent; it sat there motionless for a long while. A decent sized cap lasted the entire consumption. I am very impressed. It looks magnificent in my goblet. There was subsequent lacing; it was a bit spotty and unorganized. The nose is lacking in a major way. I am dumbfounded! This beer sat for 45 minutes once I took it out of the DFB (previously in the cellar). There is hardly a chill to the touch yet almost no aromas are found. The best I can say is the smells are largely neutral with only a suggestion of malt and the faintest trace of green apple. What a disappointment! There is no invitation. Hell, there isn’t even an implication that it might be worth my time to take a sip. Unacceptable. The palate is much improved over the nose. Big whoop! The nose offered nothing, on the other had, the palate has taste. Still, I wouldn’t call the palate noisy. It is flavorsome but nothing out of the ordinary for a Dubbel. There is really good maltiness depth; it is somewhat caramely, lightly toasty, sweet brown sugar too but more so chocolate notes. This aspect reminds me of coco powder (is that a compliment?). Astringency works well, there was even a few sips that were roasty. Again, good malt depth. Other flavors include hints of nuts, figs, green apples, a kiss of plum, peppery and then herbal qualities. At the finish there is a bust of alcohol, more fruit (this time dark), and powdery chocolate. As a whole I like the palate. It has turned the tide in Westy 8’s favor. I wouldn’t say this is the best Dubbel I’ve had. But I would say it is tasty enough to drink again (price considering). Medium in body, modestly low carbonation but it works with this beer. The mouthfeel is fair, it does come off a little thin and, dare I say, watery. But I’m not going to knock it. Well, I’ve come to the end of my bottle. I can sum it up like this… it is better than Chimay Red. In my mind, that is not saying much. Okay, maybe that is not totally fair. I think Chimay Red sucks. Westy 8 is good, just not noteworthy.

Best before date of 31.01.06 stamped on the bottle cap. Purchased in Iowa City, IA for $9.00.

From the first whiff, it's evident this is unique. A spicy conglomoraton of cinnamon, ground cardamom, Dr. Pepper, Raisinets, and Kahlua. Such intensity! Where the chocolate was obscure and more a ghost than a reality, coccoa powder dominates the flavor and texture of this beer. Abrasive carbonation and chocolate literally give the sensation of licking pure chocolate powder. Brown sugar. Bits of alcohol. And then there's tree bark or cracked peanut shells -- whatever it is, there's a natural, raw character to this beer despite its upbeat aroma. One of the best beers I've ever tasted.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

Murky, rusty-brown body and a large, relentless, soft ripply beige head. Very rich, malty aroma - almost wortlike. Specific aroma notes include buttery roasted nuts, burnt caramel, barnyard and earth. Rich malty flavor followed by some very nice late bitterness. Also has a woody flavor and texture even. Mouthfeel struck me as a little chalky at first but that sensation subsided and gave way to a nice, big, smooth palate. Great stuff indeed. I wouldn't have pegged this as a dubbel.

4.51/5  rDev +0.7%

Looks just like it's big brother the 12%'er. The smell is more faint though meaning you can pick out more subtle smells, vanilla and raisin, chocolate raspberries, and a Vienna style smell. Flavors are just as many with toasted almond, vanilla, medium alcohol, overall has a much better balance than the 12%. Finish is of chocolate and coffee, reminds me of a fullers London porter in flavor and mouth feel. Overall much better than the 12% alcohol version, balance is much better.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours opaque deep brown with orange hints. Head is first rather large, off-white, well-laced, but diminishes to a thin cover. Sediments are dancing all over the glass. Aroma is an explosive fruity malt and yeast meadow. Tangy fruits are chewy (bubble gum, plums, pears, dates, banana, grapes, watermelon, grapefruit.. name it you have it). Huge malt hides smoky suggestions. Monstruous house yeast offers those chocolate bread characteristics a plenty. Enough complexity to lose yourself in. Incredible smooth rounded mouthfeel, silky texture, easy 5. Contemplative dry balancing bitter finish is very long and bear a small warming alcohol hint. Very worthy, I may prefer it to the 12, it seems better balanced(a bit less yeasty and less fruit juice like), but it could just be lighter. I owe it to myself to compare both side by side someday.

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%

You say it best when you say nothing at all. This could possibly be the most perfect beer.

Pours dark and lovely, but doesn't taste heavy at all. The fragrance is slight but rich. The taste is classic; perfect balance of savory sweetness and the epitome of precise carbonation. I'd drink this into eternity. Can I please be buried with a bottle?

Two words: Liquid Orgasm.

Rootbeer brown and eager to raise a tall cake of caramel foam. The aromas are reminiscent of a Turkish coffee, complete with cardamom seed, yet, at the same time, frail. Loosly wrapped with nutmeg, white raisin, dark rum, whole cream, spring branches, rainwater and black stones, the aromas are utterly seductive.
It offers the kind of tannic grip one might associate with tamarind husks or date pits. Incense-like qualities increase through the pack passages to the sinus. There is an intersection on the palate with the resinous, herbal qualities of fine chocolate too. Raspberries and beeswax pull it toward unspoiled, comforting, Middle Earth fragrances -- up front -- while easy, sad, wilting, exotic perfumes of New Orleans close it. Full stop.
This is non-Grand Cru Grand Cru.

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)