Nelson Fuel

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Nelson FuelNelson Fuel
Notes: “Pour up some Nelson and pass it around” This is our 2nd beer in our I.P.L Fuel series that goes heavy on Nelson Sauvin hops both during whirlpool & the dry hop! The result was a hop forward lager, with a powerfully juicy banquet of white grape, mango, and spice! Pour up a Nelson; grab the six-string; and fuel your Willie spirit!
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 5 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Growlah:
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

I bought a 4-pack just after the store received it and before it was even on the shelves (dated 5/7/19 troublemaker). So I was surprised by the lack of carbonation and the surface was almost completely flat within a minute with none of the usual artifacts of a well-made beer. The smell was mild but interesting. Nelson Sauvin is my favorite hop and the taste came through which redeemed this beer - rather sweet with some of the pure Nelson flavors but maybe with some other hops. Enjoyable overall and I give it a 4.5 flavor score for those who love Nelson hops but far from a perfect beer.

4.24/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is my favorite Altamont beer. I've always wanted to like Altamont since they're somewhat local to me but they continue to underwhelm. This beer could change my opinion. Basically, it's an imperial pale lager impersonating a pale ale. Would love to see this beer brewed again!

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Can stamped 05/07/2019.
This was poured into a lager glass.
The appearance was a semi-glossy transparent golden yellow color. Small foamy white head settled off at a decent pace. Concave lace slid with the sips.
The aroma had a soft pillowy laundry fresh clean scent running through some danky tones, not so earthy or oniony but it's a different kind of dankiness. Dare I say herbal danky? Is that a thing, yet? Hmmmmm...
The flavor leaned towards the sweet end pulling in some floral hops and a super light biscuity character. Fairly crisp slightly danky aftertaste of danky to clean laundry character.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it - I could come back to having full sips, almost gulping this. Good carbonation. Finish was somewhat dry with a fantastic mobility to it, light danky/soft sweet pillows.
Overall, odd lager to me. If this was a full blown lager with only Nelson hops, I'm going to wave the bullshit flag on this one. Don't get me wrong, the Nelson Sauvin is there, there's just another hop too that the brewer isn't telling us. I'd still come back to this.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Can. CLEAR gold with lasting head and lace. LIght orange lemon lime and herbal aroma. Clean lightly toasted grains with a little citrus and cereal and leafy herbal in the medium bitter clean finish. Light and lively. Excellent.

Nelson Fuel from Altamont Beer Works