Widowmaker | Fall River Brewing Company

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by flexabull:
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Many thanks to flexabull, who shipped me a killer box for ā€“ finally, after years of sad frustration ā€“ for placing in the Step up to the Pint league. This 22 oz. bomber split with my wife is the first victim of the recently arrived box.

The pour is orange, with rivulets of carbonation running up the side, interrupted only by the large volume of sediment suspended in the brew. The nose speaks to me of sugar-coated-dehydrated oranges, the bane of my existence one canoe trip ā€“ never again. Sweet.

Widowmaker has introduced me to the world of Cream IPAs. So thick Iā€™m pretty sure somebody forgot to skim the cream off the top: thick, thicker, thickester. Tastes like bedding straw, fuzzy peaches, mild shot of bitterness, lots of mango rushes into the mid-palate & slides through into the aftertaste. Tons of sweet malt; too much for my preferences. Certainly easy to sip, & no sign of alcohol anywhere.

Too much malt, not enough hop. I dig the mouthfeel, but entire fields of malt died to create this one little bomber. Decent enough.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours two fingers of head on a hazy medium straw colored body.
The aroma is grapefruit, pine and musty barn. Good.
The taste has a huge dose of grapefruit bitterness at the start, moves to a medium malty sweetness and finishes with a moderate bitter note. The alcohol taste is the in the background.
The texture is thicker for an IPA with moderate carbonation.
Bold.

4.92/5  rDev +21.8%

This is a delicious beer. Unbelievable 10.2 abv double ipa. Such an easy drink that no wonder they call it widowmaker! Smells good, tastes great. The best beer I've had at such a high percentage.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.39/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.24/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great DIPA at it's price point. Very smooth for 10.2% Very solid all around. Definitely gets a chance to expand once poured into a glass (in my case, a spiegelau)

4.93/5  rDev +22%

One of my top 10 all time favorite beers. Stumbled upon this gem on accident while in my hometown of Redding, CA.

I'm colorblind but it looks fine to me.

Smells less hoppy than it is, but defines an ideal IPA or DIPA everytime I smell it.

Taste: Perfection. Rivals heady topper, Pliny the younger, and 120 min. in my opinion. I'll take it over The Elder any day.

Mouthfeel is thicker than most, which I'm a huge fan of with IPA's.

Overall: Even if it weren't so accessible to me, I would still consider this one of the greatest beers that I have had the pleasure of trying. As close to perfection as anything I've tried (and that's a lot). I can't wait for it to be bottled this year (2014), and I'm excited to see more from this brewery... Possible TIPA?

4.46/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very nice DIPA, particularly for the price point and mass availability. At 10.25% you think you're drinking a 7-8% single IPA. Very well done. I highly recommend. Not a Therapist or a Younger but sure is nice!

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.62/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev -2%

Pours a deep orange color with a thin, foamy orange cream head, mostly clear with minimal lacing. The aroma is apricot and tropical fruit. A bit of alcohol vapor present. The flavor is bold, pine, grapefruit, spice and herbs. A bit of that alcohol bite, but still quite smooth. Thick and resinous mouthfeel. Another great beer from Fall River.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very light straw, crystal clear, with a snow white head that isn't over thick but is persistent. The nose is muted, very sweet/malt forward with a bit of the orange peel and pine hop background. The flavor is very well balanced with the sweetness coming through as almost orange peel with enough lemon and pine to remind you that this is a DIPA. DIPAs are very often too malty for my taste and this one tows the line but is ultimately a nice blend that keeps the hop flavors at the front. The mouthfeel is spot on for the style, full and creamy with a crispness that cleans the palette leaving room for more. Not a total hop bomb and, even a bomber deep, not a total syrup wash. Overall a great DIPA, sweeter than your average west coast IPA but still well balanced and deceptively smooth for a brew that rings in just over 10%

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast