Bottles Packs & Growlers

Your Rating: None
9 Ratings

Type: Bar, Beer-to-go

8900 Ridge Ave
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19128-2027
United States

(215) 482-4338 | map

No notes at this time.

Added by MasterSki on 04-13-2013

View: Place Reviews
User Ratings & Reviews
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters
Ratings: 9 |  Reviews: 4
Photo of MonicaAJC
4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
vibe: 4 | quality: 4 | service: 5 | selection: 3.75

Love this place. Super low key. No hype. Small and friendly. great servers, with decent beer knowledge.

103 characters

Photo of ShaneHarris
5/5  rDev +22.2%

They have great beers on tap. You can get a flight of three 8 oz beers (usually high in alcohol %) for 7$, and most of their bottles and growlers are a decent price compared to other places. This is the best bottle shop I've been to.

 233 characters

Photo of Knapp85
4/5  rDev -2.2%
vibe: 4 | quality: 4 | service: 4 | selection: 4

Stopped in here since it's near a friends house and we wanted to grab some beers to take home. The place is tiny but has some bar seating, They have a few beers on tap that you can order to drink there or have growlers filled. They have a pretty good amount of bottles and cans that you can make mixed 6 packs if you want to. I like stopping in here, there is usually some new stuff I like to pick up and try.

 409 characters

Photo of joe6pack
2.25/5  rDev -45%

Photo of custiskid
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Photo of svt5126
4/5  rDev -2.2%

Photo of SpAiReArGsEonNE
4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Photo of NeroFiddled
3.84/5  rDev -6.1%
vibe: 3.25 | quality: 4 | service: 4 | selection: 3.75

BPG is next to Doc's World of Beer in the Andorra shopping center. It's part of the same building, and might be the same owners.

I was surprised on my first visit (a Sunday night) to find people sitting at the small bar enjoying themselves. That's certainly good for business!

Along the right hand side there's a bank of glass door coolers full of good stuff. I didn't find anything amazing, but neither was it full of junk. I'm not sure about the prices because I didn't have the opportunity to write them down and then do a comparison with the competition, but they seemed in line.

They also sell growlers, and they will fill someone else's growler - unlike some places who've misread the PA laws.

Overall it's worth a visit, and I'm sure I'll be stopping back soon.

Update: Wow, I can't believe it's been three years. Of course that might explain why there is a better selection now as it seems a new beer is released each and every day! My last visit was difficult because there were too many beers I wanted to try. As for pricing, you're paying more than some places (namely grocery stores like Giant, Acme, or Weis), but less than others (The Foodery, The Beer Shoppe, Beer Heaven). On the other hand, their draft and growler prices aren't bad.

 1,256 characters

Photo of Source
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%
vibe: 4 | quality: 4.25 | service: 4.5 | selection: 4

I was running errands yesterday in the same strip mall in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia where BPG is located, so I decided to venture in and I'm glad I did. (Philly people: it's in the Andorra shopping center across the the McD's and next to the beer distributor.) I really didn't know what to expect considering there are no reviews for this place.

To start they have a really nice can and bottle selection. 80% is chilled in typical bottle ship coolers. The other 20% is mostly bombers prominently shelved behind the bar / counter. They also have 12 rotating taps with a great cross section of fine craft beer with most styles represented. I ended up walking out with a 32oz growler (yeah yet another growler in the collection) of Deviant Dale's for a quite a reasonable price for both the growler and the fill.

I found Steve Benko, the proprietor, to be both friendly and knowledgeable. He did offer a taste of the DD prior to filling the growler which was very nice, but unwarranted considering my affinity for this beer.

All in all my visit was a wonderful experience. I will be back and will recommend BPG to my friends in the area. Kudos Steve!

 1,165 characters

Bottles Packs & Growlers in Philadelphia, PA
Place rating: 4.09 out of 5 with 9 ratings
  • About Us

    Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

    Learn More
  • Our Community

    Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

    Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

    Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.