Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy | The Traveler Beer Co.

Curious Traveler Lemon ShandyCurious Traveler Lemon Shandy

The Traveler Beer Co.
Vermont, United States
travelerbeer.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Curious Traveler is our take on a classic European Shandy that has been brewed for generations. We started with an American craft wheat ale, which delivers a crisp, light body. We then added fresh lemon and just a touch of lime to bring out a bright, juicy citrus aroma and flavor. Simply, the Curious Traveler is “Quite a Refresher!”

Added by goblue3509 on 06-14-2012

Reviews: 92 | Ratings: 619
4.34/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy brewed by The Traveler Beer Co. This brew has an ABV of 4.40%. The Shandy pours out a nice cloudy amber color with a nice white head. You pick up on a nice citrus sweetness in the smell of this brew. There is definitely lemon in this brew. Also a nice amount out grins, malts and hops. This Shandy has the look and smell of most Shandies on the market today, not saying that is a bad thing. Now for the taste , it is bold with lemon citrus sweetness. There are some nice mild notes of grins and malts in the taste of this brew. Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy is a nice clean smooth drinking brew. This Shandy would go great on a hot summer day. I like how smooth and r this brew is . There is nothing overpowering about this brew, it just goes down nice and smooth. The mouthfeel of Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy is citrus, bold , smooth, clean, and refreshing. Overall I'm giving Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy a 4.25 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. The Traveler Beer Co., did a real nice job with this brew. If you are looking for a nice light clean refreshing brew on a hot summer day look this one up.

3.64/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sampling a slightly chilled bottle poured into a pint glass. The brew pours a very cloudy golden color with an eggshell white head of 1 cm that fades to nothing fairly quickly after the pour. Aroma is a bit of grain and wheat twang with significant lemon notes as expected. A little bit of a tart scent is present, not quite a berliner weisse.
The first sip reveals a light crisp body with fine tingly carbonation that is prickly as I swallow each mouth full. The flavor is as anticipated with lemon and wheat twang and some tartness. This is an easy drinking beverage with a simple straightforward summery profile. I am glad to have tried it but dont think I would chase it down or purchase again as there are less fruity beers that I would prefer on a hot day.

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Tried it in a pint glass.

It more or less tastes half pilsner, half lemonade. If you like both, try it. I probably wouldn't drink it again if I was paying and had an alternative, but if someone offered or handed me one for free, I wouldn't pass it up.

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

L: Drank it straight from the bottle so I didn't hardly see it
S: Smells of malt and lemons, hint of wheat
T: Tastes a bit like an Arnold Palmer if you mixed it with a lager
F: A little thin for my tastes but still a little thicker than water. Less carbonated than soda but still fairly carbonated
O: I've not had a lot of summer shandy type drinks but I did enjoy it.

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed from a bottle
I consider this perhaps my favorite lemon beer. Especially if you consider it the exact same price in 6 pack or cheaper than Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. I would have to give this beer a not so flattering flavor note but the reason I like it the best of the lemon beers is the lemon flavor is not fruity or lemonade exactly. It is the flavor of a lemon drop coated in powdered sugar. A childhood favorite.
Look - cloudy light yellow
Smell - old lemon, malt, faint wheat.
Taste - Like a wheat beer with lemondrops in it. Slight skunked beer taste but not unpleasant to me.
Feel - Unfiltered beer feel, as apposed to Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy well filtered feel more akin to Sam Adams porch rocker.
Overall Not a fan of summer styles but on a hot summer day Fruit beers work for me and this one is decent.

2.1/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
A cloudy bright yellow.

The smell is lemon malt with no other real smell but it's almost like a sour lemon.

Taste is like a watered down carbonated lemonade. Summer shandy was way better. It's smooth but you can find a much better beer in this style.

1.46/5  rDev -57.4%

A beer from my mother in law. WTF. Its yellow and hazy, white head. Smells like lemonade, tastes like lemonade that someone accidentally poured beer into. Feels harsh and acidic (lemonade) with a dry biting finish. Very very not good.

Pours a heavily hazy yellow with 1 finger head. Head receeds very quickly. Smells of lemon zest and sweetness. Tastes of lemon and rind bitterness. Awkward malt finish. Alternative to various session beers. Very drinkable, but wouldn't do again unless putting serious yard work in or enjoying some sun on the beer.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy pale yellow in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high white head that died down, leaving a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of sweet lemons are present in the smell, somewhat like what you would expect from a lemon tart.
T: Like the smell, the taste is quite lemony but there isn't any of the sweetness that you might expect to find based on the smell—some hints of sourness are perceptible.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very easy to drink and could make for a refreshing choice on a summer day. If the lemon flavors were a little brighter, then I would have considered this to be thirst quenching.

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 1/2016. Pours hazy golden orange color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big lemonade, lemon peel, light pepper, wheat, cracker, light honey, light herbal/grass, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance of lemon juice/peel, pale malt, and light earthy hop/yeast ester notes; with good strength. Taste of big lemonade, lemon peel, light pepper, wheat, cracker, light honey, light herbal/grass, and yeast earthiness. Light lemon tartness and earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemonade, lemon peel, wheat, cracker, light honey, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and balance of lemon juice/peel, pale malt, and light earthy hop/yeast ester flavors; with a great malt/tartness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth, moderately crisp, and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.4%. Overall this is a damn nice shandy style. All around great robustness and balance of lemon juice/peel, pale malt, and light earthy hop/yeast ester flavors; and very smooth, crisp, and refreshing to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into an Euler stange. Pours a very hazy yellow caramel with a thin white head that dissipates into large patches, leaving good lacing. Aroma of lemon with a light wheat ale component. Flavor is sweet lemon juice and and a substantial wheat ale base. Finish is lemonade with residual hints of wheat. Medium bodied with good carbonation. This turned out to be a pleasant surprise, as I wasn't expecting much and was thinking it would be predominately cloyingly sweet lemonade. Although this lemon forward, as seems inevitable, the wheat ale base is pleasantly substantial and balances nicely with the lemon flavor. I think I would like the wheat portion on its own as well. I liked this and will watch for it in the summer for a cooler. The lemon is not overwhelming and is fresh tasting. Not a style I seek often, but I found this perfectly satisfying.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours super hazy golden straw with a frothy off white head that settles to a light layer and then a firm ring, leaves a little spotty lacing behind.

S: Sweet lemonade, maybe a hint of wheat.

T: Sweet lemonade, definitely a little wheat twang, and some lemon zest.

M: On the heavier end of medium body, moderately low carbonation.

O: I could see how this could be a nice refreshing summer "beer", but the body is just too heavy. If it's cold and free I wouldn't turn it down though.

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy is a very citrus beer with a strong lemon flavor much stronger than other lemon Shandy's I have tried. Had a great flavor but don't think I could drink more than a couple at a time

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

BB Jan 2016 at 42 degrees into snifter
Aroma of lemons
Head small (two cm, aggressive pour), white, creamy, rapidly diminishing to two mm ring and broken layer
Lacing – none
Body light yellow, cloudy, effervescence.
Flavor – were you ever cleaning furniture and accidentally got some Lemon Pledge in your mouth? That’s it. No hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3.

4.04/5  rDev +17.8%

A wonderful lemony aroma that isn't too strong. It has a bit of a watery aftertaste, but it's got a nice crisp flavor with a hint of the lemon's rind in it.

This stuff is so amazing I almost hate it haha!! My buddy got me on it and now we literally drive all around Lexington, Kentucky to find it when we decide its one of those nights!! It's not heavy, but doesn't taste watery at all like a lot of the beers I have usually drank and it is very refreshing!! I have never in my life given a review on a beer, but I had to on this one. Great job on this one!! I've always been pretty much a domestic beer guy (Coors Light, Bud Light, etc.) and loved the price of those!! However, Lemon Shandy is a tad pricey, buttttttt it's so freaking good that I can reason with my wallet to cover the expense. Great job Curious!! I haven't tried any of your other beers yet because I haven't seen them anywhere, but when I do find them I hope they are just as good as the shandy. I tell everyone I meet how good it is so I hope business is going great for you all!!!

3.56/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This was a nice fun beer. Had a couple of these on the beach today in Tybee GA. The beer was definitely welcomed in the hot summer sun. Good choice for a summer beer.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a standard pint glass.
Hazy golden-yellow in color, with a nice cap of bright white foam.
Aroma-Lemon pulp,white sugar
Taste-Lemon/lime, faintly sweet with small wheat note.
Although a bit lacking in character it is very refreshing, quenching, and quite "gulp-able" on a hot day.

3.15/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

L-Beautiful golden, honey color...thick foamy head.

S-Strong essence of lemon.

T-More lemon than ale...but too sweet, and too lemony...also, more artificial tasting than a real lemonade.

F-Nice body, not too thick or thin.

O-Too lemony for my liking...won't buy again.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Strikes a good balance between sweetness and tartness up front, with the wheaty malt becoming more apparent on the way down. However, the aftertaste has a cardboard flavor to it, which is my only real complaint here. I'm not sure if I picked up an oxidized batch, or if they all taste like this, but it does detract slightly from my enjoyment of this otherwise solid shandy.

2.96/5  rDev -13.7%

12 oz. bottle, label notched at best by September 2015. My second beer from The Traveler Beer Co. "The American Craft Shandy" according to the label. Not expecting much given my encounter with the last offering, and the given style.

Poured into a Lagunitas mason jar.

A - Pours a cloudy lemon yellow body. About a finger of fizzy white bubbly head that dies out quick. Cloudy and murky. No lacing on the glass. Looks okay for a shandy, I suppose.

S - The aroma is weak. White sugar and bland lemonade. Not very authentic or citrusy at all.

T - Follows the nose. Weak, bland, sugary lemonade, and a touch of wheaty / grainy beer base pokes through.

M - Crisp, clean, lightly tart / sugary. Weak, bland, and watery, though it's drinkability can't be denied.

Overall, typical faux craft beer swill, in my opinion. Reminds me of a Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, though I would probably prefer this when put side-to-side. Would not want it again, but it will appeal to the masses. I've yet to have a good craft shandy, and this one wasn't it.

Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy -----3/5.

4.1/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a hazy golden color. A good flavorful shandy, that was refreshing. I would drink it again

4.06/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It's a lemon-based shandy, so you must remember that when trying this beer.

It's similar to a Summer Shandy or a Porch Rocker. To say which one is better would require a side by side test, because just going from memory they're all pretty similar. All good too, nothing really bad to say about any or about the style itself.

It's a fairly lemon forward, and not too sweet. Fairly accurate to the raddler style I had while in Germany. While I am no expert in this style, I have had a few, and think this is one I wouldn't hesitate to buy again!

Solid little shandy for those desperate times when you run out of Steigl Radler. Available from local grocery stores as a plus! Not really a serious beer though, but it does not try to be.

3.49/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft. It's exactly what it says it is. Didn't expect a fine ale or a complex beer, just a nice, refreshing, tart thirst quencher and that's what I got. Very little head and lacing. Quite cloudy and not much smell - again not a negative cause this is a shandy. A great way to start a session when walking in from a very warm spring day.

Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy from The Traveler Beer Co.