Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy | The Traveler Beer Co.

Curious Traveler Lemon ShandyCurious Traveler Lemon Shandy

The Traveler Beer Co.
Vermont, United States
travelerbeer.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Curious Traveler is our take on a classic European Shandy that has been brewed for generations. We started with an American craft wheat ale, which delivers a crisp, light body. We then added fresh lemon and just a touch of lime to bring out a bright, juicy citrus aroma and flavor. Simply, the Curious Traveler is “Quite a Refresher!”

Added by goblue3509 on 06-14-2012

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 1/2016. Pours hazy golden orange color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big lemonade, lemon peel, light pepper, wheat, cracker, light honey, light herbal/grass, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance of lemon juice/peel, pale malt, and light earthy hop/yeast ester notes; with good strength. Taste of big lemonade, lemon peel, light pepper, wheat, cracker, light honey, light herbal/grass, and yeast earthiness. Light lemon tartness and earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemonade, lemon peel, wheat, cracker, light honey, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and balance of lemon juice/peel, pale malt, and light earthy hop/yeast ester flavors; with a great malt/tartness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth, moderately crisp, and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.4%. Overall this is a damn nice shandy style. All around great robustness and balance of lemon juice/peel, pale malt, and light earthy hop/yeast ester flavors; and very smooth, crisp, and refreshing to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into an Euler stange. Pours a very hazy yellow caramel with a thin white head that dissipates into large patches, leaving good lacing. Aroma of lemon with a light wheat ale component. Flavor is sweet lemon juice and and a substantial wheat ale base. Finish is lemonade with residual hints of wheat. Medium bodied with good carbonation. This turned out to be a pleasant surprise, as I wasn't expecting much and was thinking it would be predominately cloyingly sweet lemonade. Although this lemon forward, as seems inevitable, the wheat ale base is pleasantly substantial and balances nicely with the lemon flavor. I think I would like the wheat portion on its own as well. I liked this and will watch for it in the summer for a cooler. The lemon is not overwhelming and is fresh tasting. Not a style I seek often, but I found this perfectly satisfying.

3.33/5  rDev -2.9%

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.76/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.39/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours super hazy golden straw with a frothy off white head that settles to a light layer and then a firm ring, leaves a little spotty lacing behind.

S: Sweet lemonade, maybe a hint of wheat.

T: Sweet lemonade, definitely a little wheat twang, and some lemon zest.

M: On the heavier end of medium body, moderately low carbonation.

O: I could see how this could be a nice refreshing summer "beer", but the body is just too heavy. If it's cold and free I wouldn't turn it down though.

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy is a very citrus beer with a strong lemon flavor much stronger than other lemon Shandy's I have tried. Had a great flavor but don't think I could drink more than a couple at a time

3.14/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.09/5  rDev -9.9%

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

BB Jan 2016 at 42 degrees into snifter
Aroma of lemons
Head small (two cm, aggressive pour), white, creamy, rapidly diminishing to two mm ring and broken layer
Lacing – none
Body light yellow, cloudy, effervescence.
Flavor – were you ever cleaning furniture and accidentally got some Lemon Pledge in your mouth? That’s it. No hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.59/5  rDev +4.7%

4.04/5  rDev +17.8%

A wonderful lemony aroma that isn't too strong. It has a bit of a watery aftertaste, but it's got a nice crisp flavor with a hint of the lemon's rind in it.

3.48/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This stuff is so amazing I almost hate it haha!! My buddy got me on it and now we literally drive all around Lexington, Kentucky to find it when we decide its one of those nights!! It's not heavy, but doesn't taste watery at all like a lot of the beers I have usually drank and it is very refreshing!! I have never in my life given a review on a beer, but I had to on this one. Great job on this one!! I've always been pretty much a domestic beer guy (Coors Light, Bud Light, etc.) and loved the price of those!! However, Lemon Shandy is a tad pricey, buttttttt it's so freaking good that I can reason with my wallet to cover the expense. Great job Curious!! I haven't tried any of your other beers yet because I haven't seen them anywhere, but when I do find them I hope they are just as good as the shandy. I tell everyone I meet how good it is so I hope business is going great for you all!!!

4.34/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy from The Traveler Beer Co.