Jack-O Traveler Shandy | The Traveler Beer Co.

Jack-O Traveler ShandyJack-O Traveler Shandy

The Traveler Beer Co.
Vermont, United States

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Jack-O Traveler is an alluring wheat beer illuminated by the tastes of fall. He strikes a perfect balance between bright refreshment and seasonal spice. Jack is brewed with fresh pumpkin, for a delicious dark-hued, Shandy-inspired beer.

Added by chudson1992 on 09-03-2013

Reviews: 80 | Ratings: 646

Sickening sweet flavor made the mistake of buying a six pack. Neither the wife or me could make it through one. Ended up pouring the other 4 down the drain.

From an ABC mixed six - it was terrible. Poured a brown color almost like it was 'off'. Very syrupy sweet, like fake lemonade. Bessie had to finish it for me....

1.06/5  rDev -68.1%

Horrid, sickening sweet and tastes of pumpkin pie spices. Among the worst beers I've every had. Its orange red in color, smells like pumpkin spice latte, tastes offensive and is so awful in the mouth I had to chock it down. Overall, garbage.

1.8/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A. Average poor, little head that dissipates in seconds. Very little carbonation. Color dark cloudy orange that traps the light and promotes inner shadows.
S. Pumpkin spice, burnt pumpkin pie but not in a good way.
T. At first taste is pumpkin spice followed by gag reflex kicking in. To be blunt it tastes like a 40oz of Old English 800 with pumpkin spice. Separately they are good but together gross.
M. Watery, little syrup.
O. One of the worst pumpkin beers I’ve had. Don’t bother.

1.85/5  rDev -44.3%

In reviewing this beer, I will describe my experience in how I even came to have a pint of it sitting in front of me. The bar I was at had just kicked the Southern Tier Pumpking. The Travelers was the replacement. They gave me a taster. It actually tasted pretty good.

Don't fall into that trap. One one ounce swallow is akin to getting a sip of Hawaiian Punch. It tastes pretty good. It's when you get a mouth full, then a throat full, and then a belly full of this stuff, you realize the mistake you made.

It's sickly sweet and fizzy. It's almost like a soda. It smells pretty good, and it looks pretty good. But, the flavors are cloying.

I wish I had looked it up on BA before I "fell" for the taster offered to me.

Hey, there's a market for Boone's Farm too, so this will appeal to some people's tastes. Unfortunately, not mine.

I don't really care for this one. There's kind of a weird soda smell and aftertaste, possibly because of the extreme carbonation. Also seems over spiced. I probably wouldn't get this again.

Wasn't crazy about this, something about wheat and pumpkin just don't go together. The wheat makes this beer really weird and almost slimy feeling as you sip when combined with the pumpkin. Was burping up pumpkin spice flavor for hours long after I had half a bottle and not in a good way. Just wasn't for me I guess.

2.06/5  rDev -38%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

L : dark brown, tiny head....tiny

S : clove, nutmeg, cinnamon. Kind of pumpkin, maybe more pumpkin pie. Think bay rum cologne.

T : Tastes like bay rum cologne. Cinnamon, fake pumpkin, nutmeg, more fake pumpkin. Smell bay rum cologne, and tell me this isn't it.

F : felt a bit thin, easy to drink (if you like drinking pumpkin extract)

O : Again, like bay rum cologne, or a cinnamon jockstrap. Not very good. Actually, the worst pumpkin "beer" I've had. Smells good, tastes bad.

2.16/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I ordered this on tap at Finn McCool's in Virginia Beach. I asked if they had any pumpkin beers and ordered it without hearing the name, wanting to get my first pumpkin of the season. I hated it. Could only force half down. It was far too sweet, and the spices were over the top. Cloying. I would not have ordered it if I had known it was from curious traveler. They seem to be a brewery for people who prefer soda to beer, always to sweet and lacking balance or sophistication.

2.34/5  rDev -29.5%

Amber color with a thin head that was gone by the time I made it to the couch.

Smells like pumpkin pie spice and weird pumpkin sweet lemon. Tastes like it smells. Way too much spice for my liking yet not enough to cover the weird lemon.

Seems like a winning equation: if beer + lemon = good and beer + pumpkin spice = good then in conclusion beer + lemon + pumpkin = good. But it doesn't. It's weird and icky.

I was curious. Now I am all set.

2.42/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Bottle at America on Tap
Cloudy light golden color. Huge pumpkin pie spice in the aroma and flavor. I think I liked the grapefruit juice one a little more, Not a fan.

2.46/5  rDev -25.9%

Bottle provided by the brewery, my first from Traveler Beer Co.

Pours a cloudy brown in color with a pretty white head.

The aroma is of lemon and pumpkin spice.

The taste is pretty dreadful. Pumpkin spice sweetness and not much else. Reminds me more of soda than beer. Almost sickly sweet. I'm having a hard time drinking this.

The mouthfeel is decent.

Overall this is a bad beer. More like an alco-pop.

2.56/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Amber to copper in color.

Smell is artificial pumpkin.

Taste is sweet pumpkin lemonade.

Body is thin and watery.

Pumpkin beers and shandys should not be combined.

2.59/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

There's a major reason I dislike a lot of pumpkin ales - they're overspiced. And sadly, this one smells like a total cinnamon bomb. I do get some lemony hints, though. Still, this smells like something I'd rather hang up on the rear view mirror of my Civic instead of drink. Taste is a bit better, though. Yes, all that cinnamon is there, being fairly annoying; however, I also get plenty of lemony hints. I'd almost suggest this is a shandy first, pumpkin beer second. Refreshing? Sure, why not. By design, I don't rate shandies well - despite the low score, this isn't a bad drink. It really gets cloying after a while, and it's fizzy as hell, but between this and your typical BMC crap, I'll pick this eleven times out of ten.

2.59/5: Definitely not the most awful thing I've put in my mouth

2.64/5  rDev -20.5%

This tastes like cola mixed with an overspiced pumpkin beer. It also has the thin body of a soda. I'd pass on this one unless you're really into shandies.

2.78/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured at 46°F from a 12oz bottle (enjoy by date Feb 2016) into a pint glass.
LOOK: Pours with a fingers worth of white foam that dissipates into a quarters worth after 45 seconds. A displeasing orangey-greenish-brown color that reminds of sewage. There is slight amount of cloudiness. Rising bubbles are medium in size and subtle in quantity. Lacing is thin and moderate.
SMELL: Mild aromas of wheat, lemongrass, nutmeg and cinnamon combine with subtle aromas of pumpkin.
TASTE: Initial taste is of strong lemongrass and mild wheat flavors. Subtle flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg immediately follow. Hints of pumpkin enter lastly as nutmeg flavors quickly vanish, but all other previous flavors grow slightly stronger. The final taste is what I can only imagine as accidently dropping a wheat roll and a tiny piece of pumpkin pie into a whole cup of lemonade, letting it sit for an hour or two, then drinking it.
FEEL: Light-bodied and highly carbonated. Goes down rough due to the high amount of carbonation. Finishes with an extreme crispness that nearly makes up for the rest of the terrible mouthfeel.

2.85/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had a few sips on tap at Barnum Publick House in Bridgeport. Pours a dark copper color, tinge of haze, with a nice light tan head that sticks around. Smell is a little too sweet and candy like, some artificial spice in the back, malty. First sip: wow, this is a disaster. It tastes oily and fake, chemicals, hints of ginger beer, maybe some nutmeg, strong sweetness. Bitter at the end, not enough carbonation. Ended up sending it back. This beer really sucks, do not buy it.

2.97/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Smells and looks great. I'm not the biggest pumpkin fan so this probably wasn't for me but hell can't turn down a free beer. Honestly it taste like someone blended up your grandma's pumpkin pie. For some people I guess that could be a good thing... not in my family. Overall it's like most Traveler beers kinda gimmicky and punch to the mouth flavor.

Have not done a review quite like this one before, but I am just going to cut to the chase. The lemon just doesnt work as far as I am concerned. The pumpkin flavor itself is not bad, but the shandy makes it too sweet. It starts to taste more like a fall version of Mike's Hard Lemonade. If you want a different take on a pumpkin ale, I would recommend New Belgium Pumpkick. While not great, I think the sour tartness from the cranberry is a better spin. This one is fizzy, sweet, and was hard to finish.

I love pumpkin beers and even though it's still hot where I live it feels like fall to me with a wide selection available right now. Unfortunately this one let me down. It is a shandy and the label does not hide the fact that it isn't going to taste like pumpkin ales so I can't accuse Traveler of false advertising. It certainly isn't bad but there's far too much lemon taste in my opinion. It tastes like a sweet lemonade swallowed with a mouthful of weak pumpkin pie. The pumpkin pie taste is definitely there but it's competing too much with the lemon. It was definitely worth trying because all pumpkin beers deserve a chance but I'll pass on this one next time I'm in the store.

3.04/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

It's time for... ironic beer of the month! A strange brewery and a beer that I assume will be horrible, in the middle of a huge blizzard of the decade, well except for the one from 2 years ago.

Pours a pasty white fizzy fluffy 1 finger head that surprisingly fades semi slowly, decent soapy lacing, obviously filtered crystal clear burnt sienna dark auburn toasty brown color.

Nose is quite interesting, not as horrible as I expected, definitely a mix of lemon shandy and pumpkin spice latte beer, some mild pumpkin notes, fake pumpkin, lots of spices, coriander perhaps, clove, cinnamon, allspice, perhaps, not quite sure as it's just a hodge podge of spices, drowned by lemon zest, citrus rind, etc. A mild wheat based beer and messy malt, sweet syrup fake like beer, but still not that bad.

Taste is more of the same, but this time the pumpkin pie spices dominate, lots of cinnamon, clove, allspice, nutmeg too perhaps, all mixed, with plenty of canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie filling. Then sweet malt, malt extract and syrupy mess, touch wheat, etc, and plenty of lemon zest and lemonade, etc. Finish is bitter, lots of lemon and lemonade, mild spices and a little pumpkin note, etc.

Mouth is med to a bit lighter bod, mildly syrupy, lighter carb.

Overall not quite as bad as I expected, delivers what it expected, plenty of lemonade and lemon shandy, with lots of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices, although all fake and macro beer like, but despite being decent and delivers what it expects, it's still not very enjoyable and tastes fake. So pound it and move on, or maybe even dump it when I get sick of it soon.

3.06/5  rDev -7.8%

Very light with an overpowering taste of cinnamon that seemed to mask any other flavor. Not totally horrible, but there are too many better pumpkin beers available for me to come back to this one.

3.06/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours cloudy orange with a thin head. Some carbonation. Nice sweet pumpkin pie smell. The taste starts with the sweet pumpkin pie flavor and ends rather quickly. Not a ton of pumpkin spice but rather the sweet brown sugar flavor of pie. The beer is medium bodied and you can feel the carbonation on your lips.

3.08/5  rDev -7.2%

12 oz bottle with a BB date notch at Dec. 2014.
Spicy and bready aroma.
Tastes like a pumpkin-nut muffin ... not a bad thing but with a light body, some lemon and prickly high carbonation, this is too much like a wine cooler.

3.15/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a hazy dark copper with a thin tan head. Aroma is pumpkin spice. Taste begins with some cinnamon, citrus, and wheat. Extremely cloyingly sweet though. Average mouthfeel. An ok tasting beer, but the sickly sweet flavor is too much.

Jack-O Traveler Shandy from The Traveler Beer Co.