Resolute - Coconut

From:
Brothers Craft Brewing

Virginia, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Resolute - CoconutResolute - Coconut
Notes:
Reviews: 51 | Ratings: 192
4.71/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

poured into a Teku glass via 750ml bottle

jet black in color, no head

smell is very strong coconut, light cocoa and vanilla with scant traces of barrel presence

taste follows the smell..coconut and vanilla..creamy and sweet but not overly so. Some of the barrel appears on the backend with some fudgy cocoa. everything is blended nicely

there is a bit of the alcohol burn but not enough to distract from the flavor of the beer
body is thick and full..nice mouthfeel

a wonderful stout that Brothers should produce more of..all coconut stout fans need to try this one!

Loved this one! Amazing Coconut aroma before you even got it close to your face! Coconut on the nose and palate! Smooth but nice light barrel character at the finish!

4.25/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a jet black color with tan/brown lacy head. Nose of cocoa, coconut, hint of roast, and some vanilla. Flavor is the same with a bit of heat. My favorite of the resolute series and hope for this to come back again!

4.52/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One year aged, on tap at the brewery. It's very good and the coconut flavor is strong and not too artificial, but the Double Barrel Resolute blows this away. At Resolute Day this might have been the variant I preferred the least.

4.9/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

latest batch (2015 I believe) drank in a snifter on 10/15/2016

A-motor oil thick, thin head

S-some sweet coconut is present but subtle and mellow, the bourbon barrel, and chocolate are really potent

T-lovely smooth bourbon barrel with its oak and sweet tasty chocolate are really the big hitters. There is some vanilla present and the sweet coconut is there, but nothing overpowering. Not terribly overly complex, but just an amazing combination of flavors and the flavors themselves are some of the best I have tasted.

F-thick, creamy, coats the mouth, minimal booze, really amazing

O-this was an extremely well done beer. I was excited for this, but this exceeded my expectations, and by a lot. One of the best beers I have had. The barrel came through exceptionally well in this making the balance of all the other flavors just extraordinary. I did not get the whole "Mounds bar" take like it sounds like a lot of people have, which maybe is due to a little age on the bottle. Nevertheless, I think that worked in my favor. AMAZING and I will seek out more from the Resolute series

4.76/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

so I'm having this beer almost a year old...just about two months shy. coconut heaven.

appearance is a dark burnt charcoal or wood type of color that symbolizes a a dark chocolate almond bar. light tan head with fluffy bubbles (which I wasn't too fond of)

the room (kitchen) filled with the smell of coconut chocolate fudge as we began to pour this out. this is a pure almond joy with a lovely bourbon character resembling vanilla, burnt nuts, dark chocolate, and a balanced almost perfect malt roast

tastes like almond butter lightly burnt chocolate that's been living in a coconut cave with a lit fire for years. very hidden heat given the high abv. this is not the most viscous of stouts like the sugar mouth chewey monster bcbs but it is a beer that incorporates the barrel and coconut on a whole another level. I don't feel so bad now for giving up what I did to get this.

all in all this is not a coconut flavor you get when you rub on sun screen in the Bahamas that's reminiscent of of chugging Malibu before a highschool dance....I've been getting this a little too often with whats been out there. this is pure joy. seek this one out as its never being made again. fantastic word class beer reminiscent of the OG props and BA 4th et al....

4.91/5  rDev +4.7%

Hands down one of the most perfect beers I've had. I hear it's similar to Prop '13, but have trouble imagining that Prop is better (clearly I need to try it). I'm a big fan of stouts, but generally favor sours/IPAs. I'd take a bottle of Coconut Resolute over almost any beer out there.

While I tasted pure coconut, it was not overbearing. It almost reminded me of a Samoa girl scout cookie, which happens to be my favorite. It's an absolute treat and nearly impossible to taste alcohol...very impressive for 13.5%.

4.45/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Floaties! Doesn't bother me, but a look very similar to Prop 2013. Motor oil.
S: First take yielded fudge, but during the second take is when the coconut explosion takes place. Coconut ended up dominating the nose over the fudge.
T: Just like the taste indicates; TONS of coconut, but almost too much to where it's difficult to enjoy the other components of the base beer/barrel aging.
F: Oily, sticky, but the carb did a nice job of making this smooth and dangerously drinkable.
Overall, this is one of the most authentic coconut stouts out there, if not the single most authentic. However, I would have liked to have gotten more of the base beer instead of (I thought I would never say this) an over-dominating coconut profile.

4.76/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I've had this twice in the past month, and it's absolutely incredible. Definitely up there with '13 Prop as my favorite coconut stout. There's NO fake suntan lotion taste or smell. It's rich, toasted coconut fudge...body could be improved upon, but that's it. World class.

4.74/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was one hell of a beer. We did a side by side with ANTEAD Coconut and Resolute was the unanimous preference. Pours with a beautiful coffee colored head, so rich and decadent in appearance. The smell was rich milk chocolate, toasted coconut, vanilla-coconut syrup presence, light roast finished with a balanced bourbon presence. The mouthfeel was full bodied, a slight lingering alcohol heat. Overall an amazing beer that I would love to enjoy again!

4.24/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Arrives looking like motor oil; not much of a head but given the ABV that was not surprising; leggy, but not much lacing

Smell: Chocolate, Bourbon, vanilla, caramel and, of course, coconut

Taste: Rich chocolate and caramel flavors that are quickly subsumed by the Bourbon; vanilla and coconut flavors build, through the middle; more sweetness as it warms with a powerful Bourbon finish; coconut more apparent in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low to moderate carbonation

Overall: A very nice beer but a bit boozy and warm for my palate

This is a perfect BA coconut stout. Incredible coconut nose, something that's difficult to achieve and far exceeded all other BA coconut stouts on that front. Complete Almond joy coconut bomb on the flavor, but more natural. Beautiful thick mouth feel. I'd have a hard time choosing between this and Prop '13.

3.95/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Underwhelming beyond the nose, which was amazing! Taste was sort of a mess and much like the regular resolute, this was water thin. Maybe I'm just not a fan of this breweries stouts, but I just haven't been impressed with anything they have put out.

4.77/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is incredible. So much coconut!! Tastes like mounds bar and bourbon. Huge props to Brothers! I can assure that if you are able to try one you wont be disappointed.

3.21/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I went through a lot to be able to acquire this beer. It's 600 bottle count makes it one of the true Virginia whalez. The pour on this beer is great with very minimal head and little to no lacing. The smell is of bitter chocolate, bourbon, vanilla and real coconut. Past this, the beer falls short. So many people speak of this being the best smelling beer they have ever experienced without stopping to really mention the actual drinkability of it. Upon letting the variant warm up, I got all of the soy sauce flavors reviewers complain about in Dark Lord. The coconut flavor is barely there if present at all. The mouthfeel is thick and oily leaving a bad coating behind. Overall, this beer is way too overhyped. This is likely a result of hoarders playing into the hype train to inflate the secondary market value of a mediocre beer. In the end, I would have paid $25 for this beer and been satisfied but I traded away way too much to get ahold of it. Not worth your Vanilla Ryes people. Instead, enjoy a Kentucky Christmas Morning if you have it.

4.98/5  rDev +6.2%

I had heard and seen the reviews for this beer and wasn't sure what to expect. Luckily a friend of mine opened it at a bottle share. What an absolutely beer. Huge notes of coconut on the nose and immediately when you take a sip. This was the highlight of the share for me and one that I'm going to seek out again.

I missed some of the different versions of Resolute last year. This time I was prepared. This is my favorite beer of all time. So much body and flavor. I had it on tap for during the release and got a couple of bottles to take home. By far one of the best stouts I have had. Way to go Brothers!!

4.99/5  rDev +6.4%

Consumed out of the bottle in a snifter at a bottle share. The nose is exactly what you'd expect - full of coconut goodness. The mouth feel of bourbon nuts and coconut are a terrific punch. I'd love to get more of this and work through an entire bottle myself.

This beer is probably one of the best coconut beers I've ever had. Not probably, it is. The nose is absolutely incredible. The huge mouthfeel of coconut is absolutely fantastic. IF you don't like coconut beers, this beer is not for you. If you're a fan of coconut beers, this is absolutely one, if not THE, best.

3.38/5  rDev -27.9%

750 mL bottle. Black body. Coconut aroma is intense. Roasted malt. Bourbon. Taste is even more coconut. Takes over completely. Sharp bourbon bite. Roasted malt and some coffee bitterness. The coconut seems to make it sharp and acidic in the finish, though. Boozy. Not that sweet. Kinda oaky. I'm all for coconut, but this is too much and something has made it harsh and acidic.

4.75/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Coconut bomb. Maybe the most coconut Ive ever had in a single beer. Not as good as Coconut mexican cake, but more coconut than ANTEAD coconut. Best VA beer?

May be the best nose I've ever smelled on a stout. Boozy with lots of coconut. Thick in the mouth with some heat, I almost wish I had aged a little, but this is delicious as is.

4.05/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'll be honest up front, I tend to like Resolute and its variants less than most. This beer smelled absolutely stellar, but it really came up short, to me, on the flavor. It is incredibly sweet, and I think that really detracts from the overall experience of drinking it. The coconut flavor is nice, but I tend to find the variants of this beer on the overly sweet side in general, and this is yet another example of that.

4.93/5  rDev +5.1%

I've been drinking Resolute since the very first release (added the beer on BA actually, ok yeah I'll shut up lol) and this year's batch was the best yet I think. With coconut in there too, well wow.

L: Dark and oily

S: Smells like sweet coconut and vanilla

T: Holy shit it's just coconut chocolate vanilla blasts. Love it.

M: So smooth. This beer is an absolute pleasure to drink.

4.83/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best coconut flavor I have had in any beer. You can smell it when poured into a glass and the flavor does not disappoint! Strong, but not overpowering bourbon flavor. Dangerous at 13.5%!

Resolute - Coconut from Brothers Craft Brewing