Maple Breakfast Stout

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Maple Breakfast StoutMaple Breakfast Stout
Notes: Brewed with maple syrup and cold brew coffee, this wonderfully complex stout starts with a rich smooth coffee flavor, then eludes to a dark chocolate character, and finishes a hit of sweetness.
Reviews: 74 | Ratings: 499 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Hopyard57:
4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Deep, dark, mahogany brown with a creamy, lovely beige head. An inviting aroma of highly roasted barley, dark chocolate, coconut and birch beer provoke the urge to taste this Stout. It almost smells like a Mounds bar. Then the first sip reveals a smooth, full-bodied beer with a somewhat surprising degree of bitterness. Baking chocolate, burnt bread and birch beer again, but less sweetness than expected. Finally, a coffee-like bitterness lingers long into the finish. Appropriate for breakfast maybe, but missing some of the maple notes my taste buds went searching for in the malt profile.

4.49/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm a little surprised this isn't rated over 90. For what it is, a sessionable stout, it might just be the best I've ever had. A deep, solid brown color with a small lasting head and plenty of lacing. Smell is roasty cocoa and some coffee, a little nuttiness, maybe just the slightest hint of anise but hard to tell. More like one typically gets from a porter. Not much maple in the smell. It's a little thin in the mouth, but tastes like a nice, roasty, flavored stout, just lighter in all aspects. Not much maple -- I wouldn't be able to tell if it didn't say it had maple. Maybe it just adds to the balance. There might be a little coffee flavor, but maybe it's the roastiness I'm detecting. Once again the flavors are a very balanced and a lighter than bigger stouts and my palate isn't so refined as to pick it all out. A very balanced flavor, though. Love it. It lacks in the feel, but it's also less ABV than other light stouts, which are typically 6+%. Makes it truly sessionable, and I love it. ...Have I said that I love it? Well, I love it. Glad I took a shot here, cause this is exactly what I've been looking for -- for much too long.

3.89/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am not a stout kind of guy, so I guess you can say that this is kind of skewed, but it wasn't what I thought it would be. Expected more from the reviews I had heard but overall was on the better side of stouts I have had!

4.01/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.66/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Can listed as 6.5% ABV, not 5.5% as listed above on BA; my can is dated 10/29/16 which is a less fresh than I normally would like to drink in a lighter stout with additives; I had only tried hoppy beers by this brewery before (which I loved) but my first foray in the stouts was primarily a miss; first, the beer is NOT clearly labeled as a coffee stout unless you read the fine print on the side of the can; it also was somewhat bland (perhaps the freshness?) and lacking substantial body for a stout

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%

2.16/5  rDev -43.2%

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a tall boy (yes! a stout in a tall boy!) canned on 12/29. With a name like this it's hard not to compare...although it's a great stout on its own merits, it smells, tastes and feels like FBS Light. There - I said it and I wasn't struck down. I'm not getting a noticeable dose of maple which I was expecting would be the differentiator. Nice bitter chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel malt and roasted oats flavors. Nothing sticky or too sweet. Mouthfeel is closer to dry than creamy; somewhere in between. Really enjoyable beer.

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.76/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16 oz. can purchased 8/5/15 in Burlington poured into Guinness Stout glass.

Look is very solid, dark brown with lots of lacing.

The smell is where it begins. Roasted malts. Kinda nutty. Some coffee.

Taste is largely roasted malts, coffee, something cola-like.

Lighter-bodied than a stout should be, more carbonated as well. Almost more of a porter.

Oh yeah, and you might notice I didn't mention something you'd expect.

Maple.

Maybe they forgot to put it in this batch? I don't taste any.

Stick with Founders Breakfast Stout.

Maple Breakfast Stout from 14th Star Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 86 out of 100 with 499 ratings