Dunkel | Gunpowder Falls Brewing

Gunpowder Falls Brewing
Pennsylvania, United States
gunpowderfallsbrewing.com

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Our Dunkel or dark lager is brewed in the traditional Bavarian style. With its pronounced, warm Aroma, malty taste and a finish reminiscent of fine coffee, this beer will please the senses – even for the most generic beer drinker. Don’t let the color fool you. This is not a strong or “heavy” beer. The Gunpowder Falls Dunkel is brewed with five different malt types and is lightly hopped.

Added by Tucquan on 05-19-2013

3.4

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

4.25/5  rDev +25%

4.16/5  rDev +22.4%

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2013-05-10 in New Freedom, PA at the brewery.

A - Mahogany with a 1-finger tan head that fades quickly and leaves mild lacing.

S - Sweet, lightly toasted dark bread and a hint of coffee. Not very strong at all.

T - Caramel, mocha-coffee, dark bread. On the sweet side but there's enough balancing roast and mild hop bitterness that it isn't at all cloying. I quite like the flavor, which does linger.

M - Light-medium body and medium-high carbonation. I really like the feel of this beer.

O - Nice flavor and feel. Easy to drink but not at all boring. Not many folks around here specializing in lagers. I bought a six pack to go and shared it with family members, who also enjoyed it.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

This is not really a style I seek out, but I have been wanting to try this one for some time now, so I am going to try to keep an open mind and judge to style.

Just like the pils, spectacular clarity. Nose is thick with malty sweetness. Flavor bring a good bit of the same. Toffee seems to hit on the backend. What seems like a mildly overbearing sweet edge smooths out and the more richer aspects of the character show just a wee bit more than at the start. Not too shabby. I'd still throw in just a touch more hops to balance the sweetness. But not too bad overall. I think I prefer the pilsner between the two beers I've had from them.

3.51/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was sitting at The Fridge the other afternoon, following another appointment nearby, when a rep from Gunpowder Falls walks in and drops off sample bottles of this and their Pilsner. I have been asked to review them & report back. I always try to be honest & unbiased in my reviews & in fact, my scores tend to be higher than the average. It is when I am under the average that there may be cause for concern. After all, I characterize myself as "The Will Rodgers of Beer" in that I have never met a beer that I didn't like, including Minhas, which provides me with inspiration for some of CaveDave's favorite reviews.

Nothing of note to report from the bottle's label. The color scheme of black, midnight blue & white is dark (dunkel), all right, and there is a CAnnon pictured along the right side.

A Pop! of the cap & I was off & running! An aggro pour raised a finger of fizzy, light-tan head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with button brightness. Nose was sweet with a chocolate maltiness and a slightly earthy character, perhaps from the malt, perhaps from the hops. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. In fact, it was more earthy than sweet with a light smokiness. I was reminded in some way of maple syrup, just not quite as sweet. Warming, it began to take on a breadiness that put me in mind of B&M Brown Bread. Finish was semi-sweet with just enough bitterness to keep it from being outright sweet. It was a decent example of the style, but it could have used more carbonation for a bigger body.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Clear amber in color with a quickly disipating head. Essentially no lacing. A light malty caramel aroma. Light carbonation, nearly a flat feel. Flavors are not overpowering, some roast, some caramel. Decent enough for the style.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%