I'm Sorry

From:
Off Color Brewing

Illinois, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
I'm SorryI'm Sorry
Notes:
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 14
3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L) Pours a hazy golden, straw color with a thick white head. Good retention and great lacing for the style.

S) The nose is floral, slightly grassy, slightly sweet, and spicy. Very inviting.

T) The taste is quite nice. The spice is very evident and lingering. There is a strong floral note, almost lavender, but I do wish it was even more evident. The slight honey like maltiness does wonders to meld the brew together.

F) The brew has a med-high carbonation that works well with the style and has a decent body.

O) This is an easy recommendation to anyone who enjoys floral and spicy Belgian brews. Paired with a fresh chevre and honey, absolutely lovely.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

i had higher hopes for this one, still a tasty belgian pale/saison hybrid type ale, but the rose hips and special ingredients seem way too subtle to me, the beer has some residual sweetness that doesnt all the way jive, and the yeast profile isnt anywhere near as interesting or complex as it is in a lot of their other beers we had in here. slight perfume on the nose, springy and sweet and blooming, with some pilsener type and wheaty grains underneath, light but also a little sweet. some fruity esters in the yeast, green apple and white grape and pear, perhaps the faintest farmhouse funk to it, but clean when i taste it. almost has a rice character in the flavor, softly nutty and starchy but light still, and i am surprised its as strong as it is, drinks like half of its listed abv. some hops come in at the end too, a little bitterness and come mild citrus along with the flowers give it a very alive feel to it, but the residual sugar here keeps it from being as refreshing as it could be. i wanted a little more from this one, but appreciate this quite a lot at the same time. if it were fermented down to bone dry it would be a better beer in my opinion...

3.51/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale burnt yellow with a white foam of fat bubbles that dies swiftly.

Smell is unusual funk with floral, light phenols and hints of wood and cherry creme.

Frothy and semi-wet in the middle yet with a dry finish, taste is light, tart floral pear and peppery cracker.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a hazy, medium orange amber with a one finger white head with great retention and lacing. Aroma of pale malt, apples and pears, light lemon, coriander and clove. Flavor is pale and candi malt, peach, clove; floral. Really nice medium bodied with good creaminess, unusually viscous for a Belgian pale. A very good take on a Belgian pale; the base and start of the sip is authentic pale ale, but a light sweetness builds, bearing floral and stone fruit notes and leading to a drier, more classic Belgian pale finish. In total, not quite a traditional one, but the flavor progression is very good and inviting. The floral notes are well handled and integrated into the other flavors. The mouth feel is unusually good for this style. I liked this quit a bit.

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm a fan of Off Color. (If anybody has more fun brewing and also is funnier, then I don't know who that is.)
At this moment, I am in my mid-teens of beers from Off Color that I've Had. (I started 8 months ago.)
I'm also the first reviewer of I'm Sorry, their beer for the day after Valentines Day.
But, there is no need to apologize... as this is a good ale. (I recognize I didn't get the joke.)

Not a great looker, but I suppose this still Looks like a Belgian Pale. But it Smells and Tastes much like a Belgian Pale should. I'm Sorry handles the flowers and rosehips quite well; not loading up on a delicacy allows it to be subtle.
This ale also has a medium weight in mouthfeel, which is appropriate. What makes I'm Sorry distinctive is its softness and balance. Not too many bubbles pricking the tongue.
My theory is that softness helps a Belgian work with some foods, such as vegetables with onions and herbs. Softness, however, works less well with fatty foods that need the hops and bubbles to clear the palate of grease. Tonight, I ate my veggies. And Off Color gets a pretty good rating. Tomorrow, I finish the bottle and we see how versatile I'm Sorry is.

2/26/17; I finished I'm Sorry along with most of the motley leftovers. In inexplicable ways, they paired.
This Belgian pale does its job well as it is versatile.

5/15/17; Fortunately for me, I got a second bottle. Fresh is important with Off Color. But this was still a very pleasurable beer to accompany my world-famous ratatouille. Slight improvement in rating OA.
Off Color: Bring I'm Sorry back. It will always be in season... and will always be handy in a heated situation.

I'm Sorry from Off Color Brewing