10W-40 - Oaked Chocolate Macaroon

Reviews by BB1313:
BB1313 from Ohio

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Canned on 7/10/20. 16oz can poured into a tulip. Pours black with a creamy khaki head that falls leaving great thick retention and sticky lacing. The aromas are malt forward. Hints of cocoa and vanilla. Mild hints of coconut pop up as it warms, but the coconut doesn't shine. Some smoke in the mix. The aromas open up a bit as it warms. The flavors have lots of chocolate leading the way. Lots of chocolate syrup and milk chocolate along with some hints of dark chocolate. The oak and wood come through without dominating. Nice blend of chocolate and oak. The vanilla is subtle but there. The coconut seems to get lost in the sauce. The lactose comes through without making it overly sweet. More hints of smoke in the mix. Strong malt backbone. Alcohol basically goes unnoticed for the most part. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation. It's very fluffy, slightly creamy, smooth and dangerously drinkable.

This is a pretty solid stout. The coconut seems to get lost, but the chocolate, oak and lactose don't. It's simply enjoyable and fun to drink. I like it.

Aug 24, 2020
schoolboy from Ohio

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had one called Diesel once but I've never had from the 10W-40 series. How could I go wrong with Oaked Chocolate Macaroon. A heroic brew. And I've had a few brews from this brewer before, but none of them as ambitious as this. When I brewed myself, a long time ago, styles like this (sans the quality and amazing creativity) were my most successful. What does all that mean? I have no idea.

This pours a brownish black with some nice lacing and lasting fizz. I don't know what oaked chocolate macaroon should smell like, but this could have more of it. I like the chocolate and macaroon that are strong in the taste. It doesn't feel boozy to me.

Recommended. Definitely worth drinking. Try one.

Aug 27, 2020