Wide Awake It's Morning | Funky Buddha Brewery

Wide Awake It's MorningWide Awake It's Morning

Funky Buddha Brewery
Florida, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Rise and shine, buttercup - it's time for breakfast. This imperial version of our infamous Maple Bacon Coffee Porter adds some girthy gravity to the the smokey, salty, rich combo of maple syrup, fresh roasted coffee, and bacon.

Added by Habmike on 04-01-2011

Reviews: 104 | Ratings: 590

came to funky buddha on a Wednesday for my weekly happy hour. When I asked what was being released next the bartender said, well tomorrow we'll be doing maple bacon coffee porter. I was ecstatic, except he was wrong. Instead it was imperial mbcp, wide awake.

Served in 8oz portion in a snifter. Pours a deep dark, jet black with A plentiful brown head. Smell is ridiculous, overwhelming coffee, coffee, for days with rich malts and chocolate following. Taste is smooth malty coffee with no bite, it oozes down the throat. as it warms the maple becomes apparent, with little bacon to speak of. after the first sip, the taste lingers and candied bacon flavors are throughout my mouth. Mouthfeel is not syrupy or thick, but medium to full, a crazily drinkable 10.5 abv.

Overall this is like Christmas morning for adults. Funky Buddha is on track to do big big things when they go into full scale production in 2013

Drank on tap at Olde Magoun's Saloon, Somerville, MA
Served in a snifter

Near pitch black appearance. The ultra viscous, oily liquid was topped by a one-finger tall, super tight and frothy, saddle brown crown. Outstanding retention. The head slowly dropped to a lasting cap of foam and deposited copious amounts of streaky lacing along the glass.

The aroma was outstanding and could be detected several feet from the glass. Maple notes were in full effect. Warm maple syrup drizzled pancakes came to mind. Loads of brown sugar and caramel. Intense vanilla bean. Slightly roasty. Freshly brewed coffee was noticeable as well. Hint of dark chocolate.

Like the nose, the flavor profile was spectacular. Once again, maple notes dominated. Super sweet but not cloyingly so. Ultra rich and robust. Boatloads of dark malts and brown sugar notes. Dark roast coffee came through strong in the center. The beer was moderately roasty on the back end and the finish. Coffee grounds were noticeable. A touch of piney hops appeared as well.

The mouthfeel was ridiculously creamy and viscous. Almost milk shake-like. The liquid contained a super fine, moderate effervescence that helped the beer glide across my palate.

Funky Buddha makes a number of insanely flavorful and creative beers, but Wide Awake It's Morning definitely takes the prize. Although I got no bacon in either the nose or the flavor profile, this beer was still mesmerizing. Furthermore, at nearly 11% ABV, it drank like a dream. As far as breakfast stouts go, this one simply cannot be beat.

This is a perfect beer. So smooth. Smoky bacon deliciousness. My hand was sticky from the maple - like when one eats pancakes. Probably the best coffee flavor I've ever tasted in a beer. And the alcohol is barely noticeable. Amazing!

Freshly opened 22 oz bottle the day after the release from their brewery. Pours pitch black with a dark brown head. Tons of maple syrup and coffee/espresso comes through on the smell. First sip I'm instantly hit with maple syrup and coffee with a little bit of a smoky/salty aftertaste. Smooth feel reminds me of their Last Snow porter. Essentially this is very similar to the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter but the increased ABV is noticeable with each sip but it's nothing too overpowering and the beer does a good job of masking the 9.5%

From a bottle - thx Dos-beerigo.

Pours very dark with a very very slight head. Immediately the aromas hit you maple, coffee, some smokiness. The taste is rich and luxurious with slightly sweet flavors resembling the aromas, coffee, maple, smoky bacon. Absolutely delicious. The mouthfeel is amazing, it coats your mouth in velvety richness. I could literally find nothing wrong with this beer. I wish there were 10,000 bottles.

Also, I didn't knock off as others have done for lack of head in appearance as I think this adds to the "coffee" persona. To each his own.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Original batch, kindly poured by the man himself into a FB snifter

A: Pours a big syrupy black color with a small khaki colored head. Retention isn't great, but with a high ABV it still looks evil

S: Damn, tons of sweet maple, coffee, and some burnt bacon. Simply amazing. The maple adds a whole new dimension to this beer that I never thought was possible

T: Much more balanced and refined that I expected. The bacon is less noticeable in the flavor, but the maple adds a pleasant flavor and balances the dark roast coffee. Thick body and dangerously drinkable. Not too much hop presence, but then again, that's not what you would want in a beer like this.

MF: Thick and chewy feel to it, sweet maple/coffee finish, low-medium carbonation. Alcohol is not detectable.

O: Overall, this is an amazing beer worthy of its hype. I have not had but one chance to get to FB since I am at school in SC since they have become a world-class brewery, but I will definitely make the effort now. Great job Funky Buddha!

4.97/5  rDev +10%

On tap at Funky Buddha.

Dark in color, but not entirely opaque. Has a lighter burgundy tone around the glass edge. thin film of head which disappeared soon after. Incredible nose and taste. Lots of maple and coffee on the nose. Tastes just like it smells and after warming a bit, some smoky flavors make an appearance. All balanced well. Packs a punch on ABV and it's clearly present in the taste. A definite sipper and IMO, the regular version is a bit easier drinking. Really amazing overall, FB did it again with this one.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

dark black, with a nice two inch tan head of lace and a great side glass contribution. Very thick looking. Huge chocolate and coffee aroma coming off of this, almost a vanilla like coffee, very sweet and rich aromas. The flavor was very full. Lots of roasted coffee mixed in with a light chocolate mix and a hint of a hoppy back, but just a hint. Very rich and creamy, this served up perfect for a dessert brew. It was a bit rough finishing the whole bottle as it is quite thick and very filling. Overall this was a great brew.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Bottle 47/50

The most striking thing about this beer to me is the smell. Biggest nose on a beer to date. As soon as you open it the smell is unmistakeable. Breakfast sausage and maple syrup. Just like a sunday morning breakfast cookout. Even two feet away in my glass the heavy pounding of my olfactory nerves persists. Incredibly potent. And downright fuckin wonderful.

Thick used motor oil in a glass! No head whatsoever. The glass is stained wherever the liquid touches.

Taste is coffee, pork and syrup. Incredible. It's not too thick or chewy. It may sound awful but in truth it is possibly the best beer I've ever had.

In my eyes, a once in a lifetime beer. I felt like I had won the taste lottery. Hype is my kryptonite. I bought into this hype train hook, line and sinker. Good thing I did. This beer is ultimate win.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This one really lived up to the hype for me. The smell was absolutely amazing and the taste followed through. It pretty much tasted like a liquid McGriddle to me; I love savory!

4.89/5  rDev +8.2%

Had a couple glasses of this for good reason.

A: looks like a dark beer so no surprises. Didn't have much of a head which I prefer, though if they really do brew this with bacon that would explain that

S: Maple smells dominate but also coffee. Smells awesome.

T: Taste follows the smell, strong coffee and maple flavor, but more blended together. This tastes less like liquid breakfast (good thing in my opinion). One of the more unique, and better tastes I've had in a beer.

M: This isn't the thickest syrup of stout you'll ever have, but it's well bodied and smooth. Matches the sweetness well.

O: What a beer. Wish they brewed more than a handful of gallons of this so I could find it in other parts of florida.

4.87/5  rDev +7.7%

BIG THANKS To darkguardian for this one!!!22oz bomber bottle number 6 of 50. I was torn whether or not to open this bad boy right away or to sit on it for a special occasion. After some comments I decided to open it last night. Man am I glad I did. The second I opened the bottle the maple syrup and coffee smell filled the room. I was a little worried after all the hype that I was gonna get a bad bottle but the inital smell is all good. I poured it into a darkness snifter and it poured black with some brown head that went away very fast. The smell is of roasted coffee and maple with some smokeyness. The taste is great alot smoother than I thought it was gonna be it's like breakfast in a beer. Mouthfeel could be a little thicker in my opinion(if you wanna split hairs). This beer was a little bittersweet because it was such an amazing beer and I wish I could have share it with someone, but I'm also happy I got the whole bottle to myself (minus a couple sips for my wife). After all was said and done my hands still reeked of maple syrup and my wife said my breath stank of dark coffee. ALL AROUND AN AMAZING BEER!!!! TOTALLY LIVED UP TO THE HYPE!!!

4.84/5  rDev +7.1%

Look : Dark brownish black with brown head - 4/5
Aroma : Big maple syrup and coffee, roasted, small chocolate and coffee from malts. - 10/10
Mouthfeel : Medium carbonation, medium bodied - 4/5
Flavor : Huge maple syrup flavor with some sweetness, but ends very dry. Well roasted coffee, malt, dark chocolate flavor too. - 10/10
Overall : That maple syrup is just amazing. This is my best imperial porter, and dark beer for me so far - 20/20

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this on tap at the Funky Buddha for the Wide Awake It's Morning Release Party. Thanks goes out to Ryan for hosting such a great event!

A - Pours coffee black with a thin tan head. Not much in the way of lacing on this one.

S - There's the smoke I was looking for in the regular Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. This one definitely smells like breakfast is being made in the kitchen and is stirring you out of bed. Big notes of espresso, sugar, sweet maple syrup and a hint of chocolate.

T - The taste mirrors the nose and the smokiness / bacon profile is much improved in the Imperial version. Upfront you're again hit right away by notes of roasted coffee, sweet malt, maple syrup and maybe a little vanilla.

M - Full bodied, almost chewy with low carbonation. Perfectly balanced in every way. No alcohol heat is present in this one either.

O - This is an extremely rich beer and it would be difficult to throw this back all night long, I did enjoy about three before calling it quits. Kevin and Ryan did a great job of taking an already superior beer and improving on it. Cheers!

4.79/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Comes out looking black but a little thin, nice big tan head settles down and leaves rings of lace.

Smell on this thing is like IHOP in a bottle... Ridiculous smoke and maple syrup. Taste is the same, everything you expect us right there and it's amazing how well it's captured.

Feel is medium and I'd like a little more, but it's thicker than the pour led on. Oily, but not sticky. Very sweet beer, but the smoke/salt cuts through it and produces a nice balance.

Overall this is just fantastic, and reminds me a lot of Double Stack except maybe with better balance. Time to get some Morning Wood!

4.79/5  rDev +6%

Bottle 24/50, dated 6/26/2011.

Pours black without any head, even with a vigorous pour.

Wow, smells incredible. Huge maple syrup, and dark roast coffee with smokiness. My tasting partner notes offal/bacon. A little chocolate, cream, a touch of fruit/jam, and roasted malts. The aroma filled the room once I opened it. Unbelievable stuff.

Tastes of sweet maple combined with chocolate and a ton of dark roast coffee. Light bacon smoke as well. The first taste was very sweet, but the more I sip it the less sweet it is, and definitely not as sweet as the aroma suggests. Really delicious and drinkable. Alcohol is well hidden, leaves my mouth dry.

Medium to full body with moderate carbonation for the style. Doesn't make it feel too syrupy, smooth mouthfeel.

Overall, very impressive beer. So much complexity to the nose and taste. I was worried I held onto it too long and the flavors would fade, but they are still going strong.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2016 release, 22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- pours nearly opaque black in color with a creamy khaki colored he'd that sticks around for a while, before leaving some lacing behind

S- breakfast in a glass: fresh, fresh coffee, sweet maple syrup, smoked pork, chocolate, French toast, exactly what is expected, perfect aroma

T- explosion of fresh coffee up front, immediately followed by a sharp maple sweetness. Mid-palate brings smoky malt that resembles bacon, and a plethora of smoked meats. The finish is chocolate and smooth maple, with more smoked meats on the linger

M- medium body with low carbonation leads to a a creamy mouthfeel that continues into a silky finish, abv hidden well

O- one of the best stouts I've had to date, breakfast in a glass, absolutely delicious

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Very excited to try this beer. Can it live up to the hype?

Pours coffee black with thin tan foam that leaves a glossy surface reminiscent of obsidian rock

This smell is what I want to wake up to every morning. First the maple, next the hint of smoke (bacon) and finally the smell of freshly brewed coffee. Absolutely sublime.

Taste is maple, smoke and black coffee. Really is extraordinary how these flavors blend together

Mouthfeel is very nice medium bodied with just enough carbonation

Overall this is one of the best beers I've ever had, no question. Definitely live up to the hype actually it may even exceeds it!

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap at the release (06-26-2011)

Beer pours pitch Black....what a gorgeous color.

Nose gives a lot more smoke then the regular Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, which was something that I could careless about as I do not enjoy smoke. In this beer though it fits in perfectly.

This beer is a GrandSlam Breakfast (minus the eggs) in a glass. Maple Syrup is present, Smoke is there, and SLAMMM a huge hit of Black Coffee! Everything is exceptionally well balanced.

The highlight of this beer is the mouthfeel. I have complained before that I wanted more mouthfeel from some of their beers. This one is spot on. Almost velvet-y smooth. Just Perfect!

Very Good Beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow this is delicious! Has a nice dark chocolate color. Aroma is roasted coffee and malts with sweet savory notes. Flavor is roasted coffee with a little bitterness that's balanced by the maple sweetness. Has an overall savory flavor with a smooth rich body. Overall this is fantastic.

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Do you like breakfast? Do you like beer? Well.. you're gonna love this beer then

A: dark as night, nice head with lacing

S: like a million bucks. lots of coffee, maple syrup

T: first you get coffee, then sweet maple syrup and then somewhere in there is some slight salt of bacon and finish with some coffee again

M: A tad thin but more than ok

Overall: I beg for more every day

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I loved this. I know some people don't like that maple coffee adjunct taste/smell but I loved it. It tasted great, went down smooth, had an amazing coffee maple smell. I was very happy to have this and would love to have it again.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

I was lucky enough to try this on-tap at the EBF.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a layer of thick, smooth tan head thad fades to a ring around the edge of the glass and leaves some lacing.

Smell: This beer is more roast forward than the Morning Wood. Still some sweet maple, but this one is milder. I'm picking up some smooth, nutty coffee.

Taste: I can pick up a hint of bacon in this beer, it's a very welcome flavor. The maple is a bit more subdued than the barrel aged version. Roasty and sweet with a nice amount of maple blending with everything else.

Mouthfeel: Thick body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I enjoyed this slightly more than the barrel aged version. This one seems to allow the bacon to show up and not just highlight the maple and coffee. I would love to have another.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Been waiting for this gem of a beer for quite some time. Pours black, not too thick, but not thin either. Maple is the main ingredient that you smell first, swiftly followed by smokiness and coffee bean. A little bit more smokey then the regular Maple Bacon. The ABV is hidden very well amongst the flavors in this one. Has to be one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Small snifter from World of Beer, Tampa, FL.

Appearance was as expected from this style, dark and beautiful lacing.

Aroma was amazing, camp fire breakfast in a glass.

Taste was tremendous. Maple upfront followed by smoky, creamy chocolate infused bacon (hard to imagine).

Mouthfeel was medium bodied which is surprising with such intense flavor.

Overall the best liquid I've ever experienced. Planning a trip to the brewery for the next release.

Wide Awake It's Morning from Funky Buddha Brewery