Wide Awake It's Morning | Funky Buddha Brewery

Funky Buddha Brewery
Florida, United States
funkybuddhabrewery.com

Style: American Porter

Rise and shine, buttercup - it's time for breakfast. This imperial version of our infamous Maple Bacon Coffee Porter adds some girthy gravity to the the smokey, salty, rich combo of maple syrup, fresh roasted coffee, and bacon.

Added by Habmike on 04-01-2011

#94

1.54/5  rDev -66.1%

Big thanks to spdyfire83 for bringing this to the table! 22oz bottle poured into a tulip...

Appearance: pours a dark, opaque brown. The thin head is gone quick. Virtually no lacing. Carbonation is fitting for a porter (this is a porter, right?!).

Aroma: This bottle had been cracked and was being passed around when I came back from a glass rinse...the maple had already infiltrated the entire room upon my return. I like maple, so now I'm excited! But then I get my pour, and the game changes dramatically. Despite the fact that I can still smell maple in the room, I get virtually none when I really get into my pour. I get the coffee and some smoke, but what dominates is this weird fucking vegetable smell. I've read reviews mentioning this but I'd never experienced it, so I just thought al those reviewers were daft. But here it is, and it overwhelmed the beer. Cooked celery, and maybe some bell pepper (?) were my associations. Seriously, the smell killed my beer boner most heinously.

Taste: Wow...gross. Acrid cheap coffee, some smoke characteristics. Overwhelmingly bitter. I only taste maple when I exhale after a sip. And then it gets worse...the aftertaste is unholy and punishing - it just doesn't stop sucking, it's amazing! It tastes like raw celery, and it lingers longer than a vegan fart.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation and body are appropriate for the style, but it's past the point of mattering.

Overall: I'm excited I had a chance to try this one, and I respect what the brewers are going for...but my experience with it was disappointing and unpleasant.

2.5/5  rDev -44.9%

3.26/5  rDev -28.2%

Mostly maple with some coffee. Has a metallic flavor to it. Reminds of waffle crisp cereal, you know, it’s not too bad but leaves an after taste that seems really fake maple. Did not enjoy this very much, prefer Hipster Brunch by quite a bit for a beer with these adjuncts. Finished half the bottle and then went on to something else.

3.28/5  rDev -27.8%

Courtesy of the generous spdyfire83. Another whale I never thought I would try. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark brown with a thin head that dissipates into a thin cap. No lacing left behind.

S- Wow really intense bacon, vegetables..perhaps bell peppers? maple syrup, coffee grounds, dark chocolate, tobacco, roasted malt and some smokiness.

T- Meaty with bacon and sausage, sweet maple syrup, burnt caramel, old coffee grounds, tobacco, chocolate, roasted and smoked malt.

M- Medium carbonation and body. Finishes dry and bitter with some coffee grounds. The abv is hidden well.

O- This was just an intense beer with too much going on. Lot's of burnt coffee and smoke that reminded me of drinking cheap coffee at a diner. Overall, I admire their creativity, but I just don't think it was executed well.

3.41/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Slightly translucent dark brown. No head. No lacing.

S: Absolutely intense aroma of the exact ingredients listed in the name. The intensity of the aroma is almost unbelievable. Huge scents of sweet maple syrup, strong coffee, smoky bacon, and some lighter chocolate notes, all fighting for supremacy in my nose.

T: Tastes of chocolate and coffee with smoke in the background. Long lingering flavor of burnt coffee. Burnt caramel on the finish, but then comes along a light maple sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Sweet with a smoky tannic ashtray bitterness.

O: It's rare that a beer makes me ask the age old question: WTF?, but this oddity did. It's certainly a unique beer that tastes and smells exactly as advertised on the label. Like breakfast in a blender. And while I do enjoy maple, bacon, and coffee, I'm not 100% convinced they all need to make an appearance in my beer to be appreciated.

3.52/5  rDev -22.5%

22oz. Capped bomber into a TJ's snifter. Thanks to CarbonIS for this one. Had at a tasting 9/4/11.

Black color. Ring of light mocha head with moderate retention. Spotty and sparse lace with very little cling.

Big coffee notes with some Chinese medicinal notes in the background. Some slight hints of maple in the background. No bacon. Strange. Very aromatic though.

Maple opening. Coffee notes towards the middle with chocolate and fudge. Bacon comes in sweet. More maple and coffee with some milky notes. Finish is sweet and slightly smoky. Aftertaste is more smoke and coffee bean bitterness. Not bad, but not great either.

Medium to full bodied and near flat. Smooth and oily in the mouth and smooth and viscous going down. Finish is messy with a lingering aftertaste. Good.

This is pretty much a novelty beer in my opinion. Very different than anything else I’ve ever had from the style but that doesn’t mean that it’s particularly good. After about the 3rd or 4th ounce, my palate had had enough. Decent, but forgettable.

3.53/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark black-brown body. Just a thin, but well defined, ring of khaki foam. Spotty sudsy lacing.

S: Maple syrup and burnt coffee. A bit of smoke and roast. Not particularly inviting or well developed.

T: Like the nose, coffee (both roasted and burnt) takes center stage. A bit of smoked malts, maple syrup, brown sugar, and chocolate.

M: Fairly thin for as much malt in the flavor. A weak, sloppy finish. Slightly over carbonated.

O: Eh, I just didn't get the appeal of this. I didn't get any bacon... and the smoke and coffee was rather boring. Give me Mikkeller's beer geek bacon anyday.

3.57/5  rDev -21.4%

43rd Review
Bottle to snifter.
Bottle 29/50

From notes. Shared at the DL Variant + Others Tasting in Chicago back in October. Thanks to dimenhetfield for the trade.

A: Deep chocolate brown. Barely 0.5 fingernail (tan) head on vigorous pour.

S: Initially, I cannot decide if I like this or hate it. Obviously it would be unfair to judge a beer on smell alone; however, this is quite unique...smokey, maple syrup, espresso, dark chocolate, brown sugar, and pancakes. Just kidding – there were no pancakes on the nose of this beer, but that’s what it makes me think of...a big burly breakfast. I cannot find the bacon in the smell, but am hopeful that comes later.

T: Complex. Very complex. Sweet and roasty. Rich. Up-front you get strong coffee notes intertwined with sweet malt and maple syrup. Bacon comes thru solo (mid-palate) and this is quite an interesting flavor for the beer. Finished off with a hint of caramel and vanilla which I thought was nice.

M: Full bodied and almost no carbonation. Potent after-taste that almost ruined the experience for me, but I can look past it.

O: This was a very unique beer to have at such a large tasting. Initially, I thought the beer might be off based on reactions from the crowd; however, once I "jumped into the beer", it was just really, really complex. The complexity actually amazes me; however, IMO it almost takes away from the actual point of the beer. Obviously there is a fine line between good and bad, but this one tip-toes the hanging wire. I had fun with this one though and tried to enjoy the experience as much as possible. As mentioned above, I would to take down a huge plate of breakfast with this beer. It is bold and big (a lot going on), but nothing that I would seek out going forward. Curious to see how the regular Maple Bacon Coffee Porter tastes in comparison to this, but my interest stops there.

Simply put...fun to try!

3.6/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

So much better in theory than execution....smells wonderful but lacks any real depth, gets very sweet and cloying, overloaded maple atop a coffee that tastes bottom shelf. No bacon to be found. Rather messy

3.62/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -19.6%

3.71/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

There are so many other better stouts out there ... sad I traded for this POS.

3.71/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at a Whole Foods in Orlando. Typical black porter appearance. Smells like maple syrup. Tastes like coffee with a sticky maple syrup on the aftertaste. Interesting beer but I could not stomach more than six ounces.

3.82/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

too sweet, too thick, too much. reminds me of a Goose Bourbon Coffee aged one year. the mouthfeel is too thin

Wide Awake It's Morning from Funky Buddha Brewery