No Crusts | Funky Buddha Brewery

Funky Buddha Brewery
Florida, United States
funkybuddhabrewery.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Brown ale brewed with peanuts, raspberries and strawberries

Added by dimenhetfield on 06-11-2011

Liked:
4.19/5
Alströms:

1.48/5  rDev -64.7%

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Brown caramel colored liquid. Thick khaki colored head. Giant amounts of it. Immediately points to high carbonation. When it finally settles down the lacing is clinging to glass for dear life. Smell is of peanuts. Nothing spectacular. I read the concept of this beer. Peanut butter and jelly. Yea, right? Well it tasted more like metal and vegetables. Horribly muddled. This just can't be right. The beer was so highly carbonated. Like foam in your mouth.

Even though this bottle was bad I am rating the beer as I had it. If I get another in the future I will re-rate it. So for now, this is one awful beer.

2.36/5  rDev -43.7%

From 32 oz growler...Smelled and tasted infected

2.41/5  rDev -42.5%

Thanks to Urbancaver for pulling this one out on his visit.

Being the average middle class kid, raised solely on PB&J for the better part of 12 years, I was stoked to try this one. Furthermore, the rarity of it and relative trade frenzy around it made me curious to say the least.

In the glass... It just looked like your basic brown ale, maybe even a little light in color. On the nose... yup, it smelled exactly like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I mean dead on. First taste... wtf?

I dont know how the nose was so spot on when it tasted so badly. Widly over carbonated, it just tasted like prickly peanut seltzer. The beer had little to no body, no "jelly" of and kind and a weak seltzer-like after taste. I took another sip... Yup. Exactly the same. This just tasted like a gimmicky beer that slipped out for trade bait. Glad I didn't bite.

I wanted this to be good, I really did. But it wasn't. It was easily the worst beer at the share. Hopefully the other Funky Buddha beers are worth a damn. Not that I would trade for any of them.

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

2.67/5  rDev -36.3%

After opening this begins to gush at a rapid pace. Not a good sign generally. Looks like cola with a small head.

Aroma is...a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. WITH crusts....shame on you for false advertising haha

The flavor is bready and metallic with slight notes of jam and peanuts. I like the peanut and jelly flavor, but those metallic notes kill it. I assume that it is probably a result of time spent in the bottle (much like Short's bottle failures) and is better fresh from the source. I would advise that this one is not bottled anymore.

The body is thin to medium and appropriate for a brown ale.

Overall, the beer I am drinking is just not that good. I would love to try a keg at the source though.

2.74/5  rDev -34.6%

On tap at Churchkey. Served in a mini snifter. Pours a moderate brown color with a short head and a bit of lacing. The nose carries some peanut butter and jelly. Surprise, surprise. The peanut butter component takes over, with just a bit of berry in the background. Flavor has mild fruit and more peanut. A bit one-dimensional, and not my favorite dimension at that. Medium body with a semi-dry finish. Just okay.

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This definitely tasted like PB&J. However that is extremely strange in a beer.

2.78/5  rDev -33.7%

This is a grape jelly heavy beer with a faint hint of peanut butter at the end. The aftertaste will linger with you for several hours after, which doesn't lend itself well to its enjoyment.

The color is solid and aroma matches the jelly flavor, but it could have done with more peanut butter flavor.

Very light in body and an easy drinking beer.

2.81/5  rDev -32.9%

22 oz poured to my Lost Abbey tumbler. Thanks dboon!

Pours a charred brown color with a very light tan head that climbs to the top of the glass at the blink of an eye. I poured maybe 3 ounces and the glass was filled with foam. After it settled, I poured very carefully and got about 8 ounces before it was near climbing over the top of the glass.

The smell is incredible. After smelling the first time, you can't believe what you just smelled coming out of this beer. It's like you're 6 years old all over again. Gobs of peanut butter, wheat bread, slight hint of strawberry jam. The peanut butter aroma has a great roasted quality to it.

Taste is upfront with the roasted peanuts. The bread character is very overwhelming in this beer. It takes over and lets slight strawberry spill through once it warms.

Mouthfeel is too light with an insane amount of carbonation. It is like drinking coke straight from the can. Almost offensive. Impossible to take down in large quantities.

Overall, I can see what they were going for. I personally didn't like it too much, but I applaud them for their creativity. I'm glad I got to try this beer and see what all the hype is about.

3.11/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured a light brown. The nose was actually quite nice with notes of peanut butter and some jam. However, the flavor was not what the nose was putting down. More like a lite peanut water with carb.

3.12/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Thanks to Capone's, BV, and FB for bringing these beers up for Philly Beer Week.

A bit disappointed by this one, but it was definitely interesting all over. First off, you gotta be careful with this beer...it stratifies incredibly (at least it did at Capone's; it did not when I had it elsewhere). Most of the pours I saw, including my own, had two strictly defined layers: on the bottom was a murky, swampy brown layer (hello, peanut butter), and floating on top was a clear mahogany brown layer (hello, jelly). This was all topped off with a thin layer of tan head. (I have a snifter of Jell-O 1-2-3 in front of me.) Contrary to most reviews, the aroma I got was pretty much pure grape jelly. I actually decided to give this a little mix with a straw before tasting it. Grape jelly was easily the dominant factor here, and yes, it was distinctively jelly, not just "vinous notes" or like a grape beer. I really did taste the jelly. The peanut came in as more of a shady afterthought and really only when the beer warmed up a little bit, earthy and chalky at that. And actually...crusts? I tasted them. False advertising! :P Seriously though, there was a distinct breadiness going on. This was basically a nutty brown ale infused with grape jelly. The body was pretty thin and weak, which was my main gripe about the beer (but don't be offended, FB, I feel that way about most brown ales). This is not like biting into a PB&J sandwich. It's good for what it is, and quite innovative, but overall, after tonight's event, I probably wouldn't bother getting this one again even if I did get the chance. Compared to their other beers, which typically deliver what they promise and more, this was a bit disappointing.

This was definitely my least favorite of Funky Buddha's brews. Still good, but my least favorite.

3.14/5  rDev -25.1%

Review from notes from tonight.
bottle thanks to my awesome girlfriend...split with ericandersnavy.
Label says no crusts, so this entry needs to be corrected. I have submitted it.
Poured a nice brown with about a finger of head...
The nose was.. a huge letdown. it honestly smelled like bean sprouts with a bit of peanut in there.... There was a fresh "green" aroma I could only link to the smell of bean sprouts, or alfalfa sprouts. There was a hint of raspberry... which I could say was jelly.
Taste was very sweet in the front, and finished a bit on the tart side. In the middle there was peanut flavor, but again, it seemed like fresh peanut flavor, green... eric said it best when he said it seemed like boiled peanuts. If anyone is from the south, it tasted like the boiled peanut water. No jelly at all. To be honest, i got mustard on the finish. Does anyone put mustard on a PB and J? I dont eat them, so I dont know, but I assume not.
The mouthfeel was great, I cant remember the last time I had something with such tiny carbonation! it was like an explosion in my mouth, fantastic!
Overall though, this was a huge letdown. I was expecting so much, and got so little in return. I am glad actually have someone I tried this with that will rate it though...
Maybe I had a bad bottle? I dont know, but from their other offerings i have tried and rated, this was a huge letdown.

No Crusts from Funky Buddha Brewery