Sweet Potato Casserole Strong Ale

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Sweet Potato Casserole Strong AleSweet Potato Casserole Strong Ale
Notes: Drop the dressing and ditch the pumpkin, Sweet Potato Casserole is fresh out of the oven and ready to party. This fall treat is just like moms used to make - only if moms had penchant for gooey marshmallow, fall spices, and gobs of sweet potato cavorting in one sinful glass. Bottoms up.

Food pairings suggestions:
Turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, and gravy. Pecan pie. Roast pork loin. Salisbury steak. Corned beef hash. Pumpkin pancakes with walnuts and maple syrup.
Reviews: 81 | Ratings: 445 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
1.86/5  rDev -53.3%

Breweries need to learn that being different doesn't necessarily end up with a good beer. Brewing a good beer does. This one? I'm a gentleman so no comment.

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The sweet potato & spices do come out strong in this beer. This is very pleasant, but it's a 1 & done type of beer for me. Sweet potato in a beer was not so bad maybe I will try a few more vegetable beers sometime anyways, cheers! B

4.06/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: Semi-cloudy amber, with a light off-white head and little to no lace.

Aroma: Sweet and malty, with sweet potatoes and spices, yep!

Taste: Sweet but not cloyingly, thankfully. Hint of vanilla brings out the marshmallow in this brilliantly well-sculpted beer approximation of the classic American holiday side dish. Pretty tasty and much better than expected from a gimmicky brew.

3.59/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Draft 12 oz tulip at the brewery in Oakland Park FL. Old gold thin white head. This one is really sweet , even the aroma. Vegetal flavor not very reminiscent of sweet potato and the sweet not much like marshmallow. A big let down after all the hype. It’s drinkable just not sweet potato casserole. Had this with a bratwurst, maybe the wrong food pairing choice?

4.1/5  rDev +3%

This was another beer that I picked up from a Publix in Florida while I was away in November. This looked crazy and sure enough, it was just as odd as I imagined it being but at the same time, I ended up coming to like it because it wasn't like anything that I ever had. Sure, it's not fall now but if I were to redo Halloween or Thanksgiving on this frosty night, this would be one of the brews that I'd want to crack open before the night was out.

Not a bad pour to this as the beer was a warm chestnut in hue with a moderate head that didn't last long, nor was enough to fill up the remainder of my pint glass. Tons of sweet potato, marshmallow, cinnamon, and sugar in the surprisingly potent nose with all of those present in the taste as well. It was warm, sugary, and inviting from the first sip and not that artificial; given everything that was present here. This didn't come across as a Fruit / Vegetable beer as it was somewhere between an Octoberfest and a Stong Ale...if that was even possible.

Plenty of booze was present here though it wasn't a distraction by any means. As it warmed up, there was a bit of wood and nutmeg to be found here as this nuances were in play here underneath the brown, sugary tone that this took. Dated 9/5 of last year, this held up well and was even fitting for a frosty night such as this. While a bit to sweet to be great, I loved the intrigue and uniqueness factors of this beer and wish that more would take a chance like this. Like Pumpkin Pie, this didn't have to be enjoyed during the holidays, or during autumn for that matter. Props for Funky Buddha for taking a risk with this, and passing with flying colors!

4.41/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Dark amber/copper with thin white head. Has medium carbonation.
Smell: Marshmallow, vanilla beans, raisins, mushrooms, and dates.
Taste: Marshmallows, mild spice, mushrooms, raisins, and plums.
Mouthfeel: Medium and very smooth.
Overall: A very good strong ale from funky Buddha.

A: Poured into a snifter to a deep golden orange topped by a finger of dense off white head which fades quickly to a collar around the edge of the glass
S: Smells of fall spices with cinnamon and nutmeg with some marshmallow and sweet potato notes.
T: Taste is sweet potatoes, cinnamon and nutmeg, and marshmallow sweetness. Swallow is more cinnamon and nutmeg with some more marshmallow and sweet potato.
M: This beer has a medium amount of body with a slightly thick and syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is a touch on the flat side. The beer has a slightly drying finish
O: Overall this beer isn't bad for a fall seasonal. Tastes like a pumpkin beer without the pumpkin. Mostly spice driven with a decent amount of sweetness. Tastes like sweet potato casserole so well done.

4.02/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A great offering from a brewer that I'm really beginning to like quite a bit...

A perfect dessert beer at the end of a great, family Thanksgiving dinner. Coloration reminds you of sweet potato, even though the foam is thin and short-lived. The smell is lightly of sweet potato, cinnamon, and pretty much none else. The feel around the tongue is a tad more carbonated than I like, but creamy and lends itself to being pounded, something to be careful with considering this is at 8% ABV. Taste-wise it was very flavorful, much sweet potato, a good blend with malts, and overall sweet without being sickening. A great beer to have on hand, I need to buy a few leading up to Christmas...

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottled on 09/05/17

Pours slightly foggy copper dark amber reddish orange with a creamy off-white foam head. Smells like big autumn spices, lots of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove type spices, some bready caramel malts, toffee, brown sugar, fruity molasses, toasted bread crust, sweet potato, marshmallowy vanilla, dried fruits, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like sweet bready caramel malts, sweet toffee, brown sugar, toasted bread crust, fruity molasses, sweet potato, marshmallow vanilla, autumn spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice, dried fruit, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium bodied, creamy and slick with moderate carbonation. Overall a real nice sweet potato casserole strong ale.

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

It pours very viscous and burnt orange/brown in color. The nose is of cinnamon buns, s'mores and spices. Lots of cola too. Same goes for the taste. Overly sweet with a late bitterness. A bit overwhelming.

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Ah, the pleasures of both having a local, in-person trader as well as being the owner of The Bottle Backlog at Chez Woody! Tone77 had dropped this off for me on one of his visits, but it just did not seem to dovetail with anything else in the queue & kept getting shunted to the side until now.

From the bottle: "Find the goodness within."; "Fully Baked"; "Drop the dressing and ditch the pumpkin, Sweet Potato Casserole is fresh out of the oven and ready to party. This fall treat is just like moms used to make - only if mom had a penchant for gooey marshmallow, fall spices, and gobs of sweet potato cavorting in one sinful glass. Bottoms up."; "Ale brewed with sweet potatoes, vanilla, and spices".

The bottle directed me to "Consume Fresh", but since that was outside of the realm of possibility, I Pop!ped the cap & conducted a gentle pour. Once decanted, a vigorous in-glass swirl raised just under a finger of foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was quite spicy with cinnamon, clove & nutmeg underlain by vanilla and accompanied by a definite alcohol presence. It was reminiscent of a Pumpkin Ale, and yet it was somehow different. Time had really allowed the spices to become dominant on the nose. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was eye-openingly spicy! If they did not use cinnamon, then I am a marshmallow's uncle! Between the inherent spiciness & the fusel alcohol heat, my sinuses were wide open & my taste buds were standing at attention. My eyes even watered a little bit. I was drawn in and fooled by the cute-looking sweet marshmallows on the label, only to be waylaid and shanghaied by a cleverly concealed serving ladle! OMFG. I just wanted to drink a beer, not be spiced into submission. All joking aside, I really liked the way that this tasted. I would never deign to call it "sweet", which is what the label suggests, but instead, it was quite spicy, which I always enjoy. They recommended a serving temperature of 40 [deg. F], but I was thinking that it might be quite nice mulled in a double boiler. Finish was super dry, thanks to the spices. I may have to revisit this one in the Fall.

3.91/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a gorgeously hazed rusty orange with a thin layer of off-white foam.

WHOA! At first whiff, I'm in heaven! Graham crackers, vanilla, marshmallow, nuts, cinnamon, and you guess it, sweet potato. Smells exactly like sweet potato casserole straight out of the oven.

Mmmmm, aroma translates into flavor to the T. Straight up sweet potato casserole flavor. Though about a quarter of the way through the dessert-like and cloying sweetness starts to overpower me and I barely finish the glass.

Full-bodied, low carbonation, rich, sticky, and cloyingly sweet.

Overall, FB nailed what they were trying to do here as it smells and tastes exactly like it should; however, this is most definitely a dessert beer and the overly cloying sweetness builds until the drinker can no longer take the sweetness. Delicious, but in extreme moderation.

3.87/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an unmarked pint glass.

A: Hazy gold, a nice cap of white head that stays around, and modest visible carbonation.

S: Big vanilla up front. Then caramel and spices over the sweet malts. Some sweet cinnamon, roasted marshmallows. I guess I could be persuaded there’s some yams (?)…there is something vegetal here for sure.

T: Vanilla, sweet malts, cinnamon and I think a touch of clove. Some nuts, and again I guess I'll give them sweet potato in the flavor. There's an extra sweetness that is reminiscent of the old marshmallow fluff. It finishes mostly sweet, but with just a hint of hop bitterness that prevents it from being cloying.

M: Medium bodied overall, but seems a little light compared to most strong ales (as the label says). Restrained alcohol for style and an average amount of carbonation sensation.

O: Interesting for sure. Within a style (vegetable strong ales?) that seems pretty subjective, it's “okay” for me. But this is more than I like most pumpkin beers anyway.

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a pint glass. bottled 10/16/16, so almost 2 months old.

looks amazing, clear amber body, good off white head, thick lacing.

spicy on the nose, mostly cinnamon, a slight funkiness, getting the yams as well

cinnamon and sweet potato pie is the taste. so as described by the name.

mouth is around medium.

If you like this particular thanksgiving side dish, you are going to love this beer, because that's exactly what it tastes like. I don't care for pumpkin beers, but i enjoyed this one.

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%

I'm from FL so I love this local brewery- its literally down the street. I'm not much for doing in depth reviews, but I feel this beer deserves my 2 cents because it is awesome. Pumpkin beers are all over the place, but this is a twist on the same concept. The smell is dead on-sweet potato casserole, so is the taste. Not over spiced, you can taste vanilla and you for sure taste sweet potato. In the defense of others who had a bad batch of this beer-yes, I have had this one and it have a metallic taste. This batch was perfect and usually I have no issues. They are a very small brewery so there is variations that are noticeable from time to time. It's best on tap. Cheers to a good fall beer!

3.92/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Light brown in color with a heavy amount of moderately sized sediment suspended within. There's a fingernail of brown covering most of the top. They absolutely nailed the aroma. It smells exactly like sweet potatoes smothered in brown sugar and marshmallows. Incredible. I'm tasting nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and sweet potatoes. The mouth is a bit thick with the heavy spicing.

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%

Wow. I was surprised. I thought it was gonna maybe be one of those beers that tries to do too much. It wasn't. It is sweet but not nasty sweet. It is a lot more balanced than I expected. Gonna get some more to share with my brother from California over thanksgiving turkey.

4.24/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Arrives at the bar rather murky, with a tan color and a modest head; a few wisps of lacing hang around

Smell: Sweet potato, marshmallow, cinnamon and clove

Taste: Starts out with the malt bill forward, bringing candied sweet potatoes and marshmallow flavors; cinnamon, clove and allspice build, through the middle, with some ginger snap crispness in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: I am not the biggest fan of pumpkin beers but this twist using sweet potatoes is pretty tasty

4.04/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap; poured into a pint glass.
Appearance- orange, hazy, very light bubbles; thin to no head. Lacing is lame.
Smell - brown sugar, candied pecans and canned sweet potatoes!
Taste - shocked this is almost 8%Abv! Very tasty, and booze are hard to detect in this sweet ale that has some after dinner liquor qualities!
Feel - smooth, sweet and easy drinking!
Overall - this is literally Thanksgiving in a glass! I love my Mom's homemade sweet potato casserole during the holidays, so this one is a natural winner for me!

3.49/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bright mostly clear orange with a soft, tan finger head that retains a soft swirling blanket.

Smell is toasted yam and marshmallow, caramelized brown sugar, but also an unfortunate essence of metallic Brillo pad. Really though, that gooey marshmallow isn't messing around, I'm surprised that can be replicated in a beer--it almost becomes like a funky cheesiness very faintly and randomly, but not quite. There is also an occasional Barq's root beer smell.

Taste is sticky cinnamon, gooey brown sugar, roasted sweet potato and yes even that marshmallow--I wonder how they are achieving that. Again it's a little metallic at times. It seems like it might be sticky sweet considering my description, not to mention the source material, but really, it's rather balanced, all things considered.

Feel is soft and wet mid-palate, but features a semi-dry finish.

3.97/5  rDev -0.3%

Fairly clear reddish-brown brew; OK head retention.

Right off the aroma, this beer portends great things. It's sweet, and smells like a sweet potato casserole.

On the palate, the entire range is displayed: marshmallow, sweet potato, brown sugar, cinnamon. It's sweet, and it's gimmicky, but it's both spot on and delicious.

1.81/5  rDev -54.5%

I can't remember ever being so bothered by a beer (strong ale?). The first thing that kind of made me suspect this to be a questionable ale was that it was made by this hip brewery calling itself the "funky buddha". It had this motto on the side of the box along the lines of, "open the bottle and open your mind". The idea that there is some cool new buddha making these sweet sugary ales to help me reach some inebriated enlightenment should have been warning enough that it was bottled BS. ... maybe the dancing, happy, childish marshmallow people on the label should have given me my next clue that this stuff is not for a lover of strong ales.
I opened the bottle and there was no real noticeable sweet potato smell or alcohol smell, just a hint of cinnamon. There was definitely a sick sweet potato casserole flavor. I was quickly reminded of why I always ate the good bits off of the top of sweet potato casserole and smushed the rest around to give my aunt the impression that I enjoyed hergooey potato mush. However, I kept drinking and waiting for it to make up for the worsening flavor with the good buzz of a strong ale. I open bottle 2 and it has a very different metallic taste I often get in Anderson valley brews (the second bottle was an oddball flavor in the four pack). This metallic tang did well to mask the dull overwhelming sweet potato flavor. ...still no buzz... At a questionable 7.9%abv, this ale barely crept into the range of what is considered a strong ale, and felt much weaker. At the same time it had no attributes that you grow to crave and love in an ale. I felt fooled as I grimaced and downed bottle four. I don't believe this to be any sort of real beer at this point, but some sweet potato spiced soda that had something like a shot of that fake fireball whiskey liqueur thrown into it. I can't believe I was fooled into paying 13 dollars for this fake ale.
I would recommend this for anyone who doesn't really like or know beer.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a murky amber color with a half inch of head. The head settle down quickly.
S - Smells like a pumpkin beer.
T - Tastes like a pumpkin beer without too many spices. Kind of sweet.
M - A little thin on the feel. Slightly lower than average carbonation.
O - Not a bad beer but nothing special. Not much depth, not a lot going on here. I know they call it sweet potato but it tastes like pumpkin to me.

One of the best beers I've ever had. Tastes like candied yams. The flavors are unreal, but somehow it isn't too sweet. Awesome favored beer that actually has some strength.

look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dipping into some local HB let's give it a whirl. Popping the top I get an immediate waft of Cinnabon, cinnamon roll. Pours to a slightly cloudy bright orange with a two finger light tan creamy top head. On the taste this brew is everything about sweet and more sweet. The up front taste is sweet potato with cinnamon butter followed by a shade of bitterness and a surprisingly clean finish. Have to rate this as a dessert beer for anything else would be discriminating. About one of these is the limit. Drink it when everybody else is tipping back their cognac.

Sweet Potato Casserole Strong Ale from Funky Buddha Brewery