Sweet Potato Casserole | Funky Buddha Brewery

Florida, United States
funkybuddhabrewery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Drop the dressing and ditch the pumpkin, Sweet Potato Casserole is fresh out of the oven and ready to party. This fall treat is just like moms used to make - only if moms had penchant for gooey marshmallow, fall spices, and gobs of sweet potato cavorting in one sinful glass. Bottoms up.

Food pairings suggestions:
Turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, and gravy. Pecan pie. Roast pork loin. Salisbury steak. Corned beef hash. Pumpkin pancakes with walnuts and maple syrup.

Added by scottyshades on 10-05-2012

Reviews: 65 | Ratings: 396
4.64/5  rDev +16.3%

I'm from FL so I love this local brewery- its literally down the street. I'm not much for doing in depth reviews, but I feel this beer deserves my 2 cents because it is awesome. Pumpkin beers are all over the place, but this is a twist on the same concept. The smell is dead on-sweet potato casserole, so is the taste. Not over spiced, you can taste vanilla and you for sure taste sweet potato. In the defense of others who had a bad batch of this beer-yes, I have had this one and it have a metallic taste. This batch was perfect and usually I have no issues. They are a very small brewery so there is variations that are noticeable from time to time. It's best on tap. Cheers to a good fall beer!

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Light brown in color with a heavy amount of moderately sized sediment suspended within. There's a fingernail of brown covering most of the top. They absolutely nailed the aroma. It smells exactly like sweet potatoes smothered in brown sugar and marshmallows. Incredible. I'm tasting nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and sweet potatoes. The mouth is a bit thick with the heavy spicing.

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%

Wow. I was surprised. I thought it was gonna maybe be one of those beers that tries to do too much. It wasn't. It is sweet but not nasty sweet. It is a lot more balanced than I expected. Gonna get some more to share with my brother from California over thanksgiving turkey.

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Arrives at the bar rather murky, with a tan color and a modest head; a few wisps of lacing hang around

Smell: Sweet potato, marshmallow, cinnamon and clove

Taste: Starts out with the malt bill forward, bringing candied sweet potatoes and marshmallow flavors; cinnamon, clove and allspice build, through the middle, with some ginger snap crispness in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: I am not the biggest fan of pumpkin beers but this twist using sweet potatoes is pretty tasty

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap; poured into a pint glass.
Appearance- orange, hazy, very light bubbles; thin to no head. Lacing is lame.
Smell - brown sugar, candied pecans and canned sweet potatoes!
Taste - shocked this is almost 8%Abv! Very tasty, and booze are hard to detect in this sweet ale that has some after dinner liquor qualities!
Feel - smooth, sweet and easy drinking!
Overall - this is literally Thanksgiving in a glass! I love my Mom's homemade sweet potato casserole during the holidays, so this one is a natural winner for me!

3.49/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bright mostly clear orange with a soft, tan finger head that retains a soft swirling blanket.

Smell is toasted yam and marshmallow, caramelized brown sugar, but also an unfortunate essence of metallic Brillo pad. Really though, that gooey marshmallow isn't messing around, I'm surprised that can be replicated in a beer--it almost becomes like a funky cheesiness very faintly and randomly, but not quite. There is also an occasional Barq's root beer smell.

Taste is sticky cinnamon, gooey brown sugar, roasted sweet potato and yes even that marshmallow--I wonder how they are achieving that. Again it's a little metallic at times. It seems like it might be sticky sweet considering my description, not to mention the source material, but really, it's rather balanced, all things considered.

Feel is soft and wet mid-palate, but features a semi-dry finish.

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

Fairly clear reddish-brown brew; OK head retention.

Right off the aroma, this beer portends great things. It's sweet, and smells like a sweet potato casserole.

On the palate, the entire range is displayed: marshmallow, sweet potato, brown sugar, cinnamon. It's sweet, and it's gimmicky, but it's both spot on and delicious.

1.81/5  rDev -54.6%

I can't remember ever being so bothered by a beer (strong ale?). The first thing that kind of made me suspect this to be a questionable ale was that it was made by this hip brewery calling itself the "funky buddha". It had this motto on the side of the box along the lines of, "open the bottle and open your mind". The idea that there is some cool new buddha making these sweet sugary ales to help me reach some inebriated enlightenment should have been warning enough that it was bottled BS. ... maybe the dancing, happy, childish marshmallow people on the label should have given me my next clue that this stuff is not for a lover of strong ales.
I opened the bottle and there was no real noticeable sweet potato smell or alcohol smell, just a hint of cinnamon. There was definitely a sick sweet potato casserole flavor. I was quickly reminded of why I always ate the good bits off of the top of sweet potato casserole and smushed the rest around to give my aunt the impression that I enjoyed hergooey potato mush. However, I kept drinking and waiting for it to make up for the worsening flavor with the good buzz of a strong ale. I open bottle 2 and it has a very different metallic taste I often get in Anderson valley brews (the second bottle was an oddball flavor in the four pack). This metallic tang did well to mask the dull overwhelming sweet potato flavor. ...still no buzz... At a questionable 7.9%abv, this ale barely crept into the range of what is considered a strong ale, and felt much weaker. At the same time it had no attributes that you grow to crave and love in an ale. I felt fooled as I grimaced and downed bottle four. I don't believe this to be any sort of real beer at this point, but some sweet potato spiced soda that had something like a shot of that fake fireball whiskey liqueur thrown into it. I can't believe I was fooled into paying 13 dollars for this fake ale.
I would recommend this for anyone who doesn't really like or know beer.

3.75/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a murky amber color with a half inch of head. The head settle down quickly.
S - Smells like a pumpkin beer.
T - Tastes like a pumpkin beer without too many spices. Kind of sweet.
M - A little thin on the feel. Slightly lower than average carbonation.
O - Not a bad beer but nothing special. Not much depth, not a lot going on here. I know they call it sweet potato but it tastes like pumpkin to me.

One of the best beers I've ever had. Tastes like candied yams. The flavors are unreal, but somehow it isn't too sweet. Awesome favored beer that actually has some strength.

look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dipping into some local HB let's give it a whirl. Popping the top I get an immediate waft of Cinnabon, cinnamon roll. Pours to a slightly cloudy bright orange with a two finger light tan creamy top head. On the taste this brew is everything about sweet and more sweet. The up front taste is sweet potato with cinnamon butter followed by a shade of bitterness and a surprisingly clean finish. Have to rate this as a dessert beer for anything else would be discriminating. About one of these is the limit. Drink it when everybody else is tipping back their cognac.

4.56/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had in October 2015.
Enjoyable fall and winter time beer. The smell is sweet. It is a powerfully sweet potato loaded flavor but ultimately fun to drink.

L: Similar to a nut brown ale in appearance. Dark brown. Medium head.
S: Powerful sweet potato and toasted marshmallow. Enoyable on a cool evening.
T: A strong punch of sweet potato. Very sweet. Could be a bit much. More of a desert item than a beer to drink in quatity. However, there are a good balance of spices in the beer to add to the depth of the flavor.
F: Medium carbonation, good balance of the spices in the beer to allow you to get some depth in the flavor profile.
O: Overall better than expected beer. Looked like it was going to be overly sugary, but it turned out to be a very well executed desert beer.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brown color with tan head. Sweetness, sweet potato, marshmallow, wow sweetness on the nose; follows onto the palate. Medium bodied. Finishes with marshmallow. Surprisingly not as sweet on the palate.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a btrown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy, brown/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of sweet potato, marshmallows. Taste is sweet potato, nutmeg, marshmallow, some hints of ginger, alcohol is well hidden. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a unique and tasty beer worth trying.

A rich and creamy beer this tastes a lot like a pumpkin ale. Cinnamon, nutmeg, marshmallow, brown sugar, anise, and yams all rolled into one delicious beer. Didn't expect much but really enjoyed this.

3.77/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

In my pint glass the beer was an amber color with a small tan head.
Aroma of sweet potato and sugar.
The taste was as the label implied: sweet potato and marshmallow. A little bit of vanilla and a little bit of spice.
Very sweet. Probably a good dessert beer.

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

Bottled on October 5, 2015 enjoyed January 18, 2016 in a Mad Elf tulip.

Look - Color of sweet potato, weird right? A lot less than a finger of white head settles to a very thin ring. Blotchy lacing.

Smell - Marshmallow. Spice.

Taste - I've had this taste before, but can't put my finger on it. It is almost like the grain covering on a Nutrigrain bar. Marshmallow.

Feel - Enough carbonation so it isn't flat but not too much to make it unsettling. Spice on tongue but no alcohol.

Overall - I am very happy with this beer. I would have been just fine to give this out as gifts from my Florida trip. Marshmallow, cinnamon, and the Nutrigrain covering.

3.75/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

One of the things I love about FB, is their willingness to always push the envelope when it comes to brewing. While I wasn't a huge fan of this, I was nevertheless impressed by the brewers ability to combine ingredients and make this beer taste like the label describes. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of sweet potato, and the beer was a bit sweet, but even so, I found this to be a very well crafted beer from FB. There's a lot of vanilla, underlying spice, and something a rootbeer flavor to this beer, and while pretty good, the finish was a bit weak (it seemed a bit light and watery, for a beer described as a strong ale). In any event, I was very happy to have the opportunity to try this interesting beer from FB.

4.14/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had over Thanksgiving and loved it. It was legit, straight up as advertised with this one. Marshmallow dominated for me with a sweet potato underbelly. As with Funky Buddha, and No Crusts, if you can get to the taproom while this is on and have it fresh its a delight and worth the trip.

3.87/5  rDev -3%

really cool beer here. tastes seriously exactly like the sweet potato casserole on the table at thanksgiving time. pale orange in color without much head and some haze to it, looks unassuming, but the nose is incredible. earthy from the potato for sure, but the burnt marshmallow topping is over the top, really the dominant flavor. sort of spiced like a pumpkin ale, but richer and less distracting with all the sweet going on here. hints of vanilla and orange in the flavor, allspice and cinnamon, graham cracker honey breadiness from the malt, and a lot of residual sugar. it is what it says it is, and I admire it for that. there is a weird strong almost fake vanilla flavor going on that I also got in their blueberry cobbler ale. its good, but its too strong, and it reminds me of that beer too. I like how unique this is, but one glass was enough for me. it would be fun on the holiday table, but more of a novelty I think than a beer someone is going to sit down and drink a bunch of. still cool to pull it off this well. needs more carbonation, but other than that its real solid, especially if you don't mind some sweetness.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

16 oz poured into shaker pint

A: nice fluffy head slight orange in color leaning toward caramel fairly good clarity

S: lots of cinnamon and nut meg

T: lots of cinnamon nutmeg nice sweetness

M: nice and creamy makes the beer feel richer not a huge amount of lingering aftertaste which I think is beneficial

O: it's a nice beer not overly complex but what it does do it does well so if you like sweet potato casserole give this a whirl

3.31/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours deep amber body with a 2 finger off white head that reduces slowly to leave medium lacing and a layer of retention.

Aromas are nutty, toffee, somewhat artificial vanilla / maple, caramel, gourds. Taste is very sweet caramel toffee, also artificial vanilla and maple on the tongue. Mouthfeel is sticky and syrupy even though it's not even 10%.

Overall a little too fake for me, I can enjoy half of one as a dessert beer but anything more is not enjoyable.

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Almost looks amazing. Has a deep golden, amber color, slight haze. No foam at all. Kind looks like soda in that sense.

Smell and taste match very closely. It has a nice burn sugar, caramel sweetness that is followed by potato and cinnamon. No ingredient is out of place.

Overall, tastes just like it describes. However, just like Last Snow, it has no qualities of being an actual beer. I'm becoming suspicious that they just make flavorless wort and jam the beer with sugar and spices.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

my buddy mark tossed me a bottle of this earlier so I could get a taste and when I asked him how it was, he said....

it's kinda like pumpking...the first time you have it, you are amazed but by the gird it the you find that it is a bit too sweet and kinda artificial...

spot on. first bottle though and still amazed. hits the mark for the flavor it is going for.

4.03/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Definitely can taste a vanilla marshmallow sweet potato presence up front. The alcohol seems a bit powerful for how delicate the flavor are, but not too bad. I drank at the recommended temp but I think it needs to be drank at a stout temp. The flavor came out the warmer it got. Overall, a very neat beer. Nothing spectacular, but nothing like it. Funky Buddhas niche.

Sweet Potato Casserole from Funky Buddha Brewery