Leather Lips IPA

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Leather Lips IPALeather Lips IPA
Notes: he brewing process by itself contains enough Nugget and Chinook to satisfy the most seasoned hop head. But we couldn’t leave it alone. Once fermentation is complete we add a massive hop bag to the bright tank that is bursting at the seams with whole cone Centennial for an aroma that you just can’t get any other way. High fives all around.
Reviews: 301 | Ratings: 411 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by PDXHops:
2.1/5  rDev -46.8%

12 ounce bottle from Spleeb, consumed way back in September 2011. (This review notes backlog is getting outta hand...) Duvel tulip. Hazy golden amber with a massive foamy head that's in no rush to leave. Lots of soapy lace.

Citrus zest and pith aplenty in the nose, but also what appears to be newspaper? The first sip confirms the newspaper presence and also entirely too much carbonation; I reckon something went a bit wonky with this bottle. It's a shame, too, as the hop profile gives hints that it was pretty ferocious in the grapefruit department at some point. There's still plenty of astringent bitterness left behind, but that weird newspaper business seems to blunt the hop flavor. I'm inclined to give this one another shot down the road and update this review.

Crazily bubbled bright orange topped by a beige crown that is currently filling all but the bottom inch of the glass despite the gentlest of pours. This may be the most carbonated beer that I've ever seen, and I've seen some doozies. It still looks pretty good. Here's hoping the flavor and the mouthfeel won't be negatively impacted.

The aroma doesn't seem to have taken a hit, even through what is still four fingers of foam. It's bright and citrusy, with orange, lemon and grapefruit peel bursting out of the glass. A hop bill of Centennial, Nugget and Chinook should make for an impressive nose. And definitely does in this case.

Leatherlips is a good IPA that, nevertheless, isn't the stuff of my fevered hop dreams. I don't want to believe that overcarbonation is responsible for my less than full-throated praise, not after I've been dying to acquire a bottle for so long, but I'm afraid that it is. I'll try to work around it as best I can.

I'm amazed at how bitter *only* 50 IBUs can be in some instances. This beer is hugely bitter, much more than some IPAs/DIPAs that claim more than 100 IBUs. It just goes to show that the numbers mean very little. White grapefruit pith, bitter orange and unsweet pine sap make up what is a relatively simple flavor profile. Simple, but intense. My tongue has already started to twitch and I'm only halfway through the bottle.

Subsequent pours rejuvenate the head like an M-80 in a bubblebath. Amazingly, the insane carbonation is still as frenetic as it was when I popped the cap more than 10 minutes ago. While I'm tempted to bump the flavor score, I won't. This just doesn't taste like a special IPA (in its current state). I know one thing, my alpha acid tank has been topped off for the remainder of the day; maybe even the week.

How the hell do I properly assess the mouthfeel with this much chaos going on? If I can factor out the bubbles (difficult, but possible), I can better appreciate the quality of the mouthfeel. It's medium in heft with a finishing stickiness. It's a shame that I couldn't have experienced it as the brewers intended.

I still don't feel like I've had the true Leatherlips IPA. jrdegriselles was kind enough to send me two bottles, but I'm pretty sure they're both similarly affected. Maybe I'll open the other one and let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour or so. If incredibly bitter, incredibly hoppy beer is your thing, then wrap your lips around a Leatherlips and get ready to pucker up.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Cloudy golden with a very, very thick head.

S: Sweet and floral. Big hops!

T: Hoppy! It is also bitter, spicy and floral (almost like drinking flowers). There is very little malt presence. It leaves a very bitter aftertaste.

M: Light to medium.

D: This is a tasty brew. Because of its one-sidedness (hops) and the lingering bitter aftertaste, this might not be an easily drinking brew.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Many thanks to zrrbrrt for sending this my way. Cloudy apricot nectar with a huge mass of just-off-white sticky and cratery foam. Killer lacing, to boot. Lovely grapefruit and spruce scents, nothing mind-bogglingly unique about the aroma, but it's nevertheless a mouth-watering, hoppy nose that seems "picture perfect" for an IPA. Bitter through and through, with piney flavors just beating out the grapefruit pith citrus notes. Finishes *slightly* phenolic with a pleasantly biscuity aftertaste. Again, nothing that really "stands out," but I think Haverhill has simply nailed a solid, sessionable IPA here. Juicy mouthfeel with a dry finish. Awesome drinkability -- glad I have another in the cellar. I have the feeling that this might be just a bit better on tap...

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

I have overlooked this beer many time because I tend to judge a book by its cover a lot. But this time I decided to give it a try.

A: Beer pours a cloudy/golden color with a 2 inch off white, soapy head that quickly fades and leaves some lacing.

S: Smell consists of honey and apricots up front, followed by some pine, citrus, grapefruit and clove on the back end. A very earthy smelling IPA.

T: Taste is a lot like the smell but I get the pine and grapefruit up front, which is accompanied by the honey and apricot on the back end. Has some subtle earth notes, but no real yeast feel on the aftertaste.

M: mouth feel is a tart and bitter flavor on the mouth but I like that in an IPA.

O: Strong version of the style with grapefruit dominating the flavor. Drinkable for those who can absorb a strong style IPA. I guess you cant always judge a book by its cover!

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%

Okay. First time I've heard of this brewery. The label art is off an attractive redheaded woman holding a mug of beer and sitting on a stool with a city scene from well before mine or my fathers time. Label mentions Chinook and Centennial hops so that can't be too bad.

Pours a nice cloudy medium amber with not much head from a medium pour. Smell is all grapefruit sort of smells like Celebration Ale which is a very good thing

The taste is strong grapefruit and serious bittering hops. Similar taste profile to Finest Kind by Smutty but without that buttery hint of malt. This is all hops...with just the suggestion of a malty backbone but you gotta really look for it. I get the Leatherlips thing now...you want to pucker your lips up like and old sun-dried piece of leather when you drink in.

I am well accustomed to all sorts of hop profile but the sheer abundance of bittering hops in this one I would actually consider intense. It stands out and doesn't try to follow in the footsteps on recent IPA trends. The hops coat your tongue and mouth and sit there like a funk.

I couldn't drink more than one of these in a sitting. I can see how this would be a great beer for some, but despite drinking tons of IPA's this flavor profile is just too intense. I honestly didn't think I'd ever say that about an IPA...but I find this to be a little too hoppy and not quite balanced enough for me.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured a slightly cloudy golden yellow with a nice full finger white head that melts very, very slowly leaving lots of sticky lace in it's wake.

Aroma is immediately fruity hops...very fresh with after-hints of pine and citrus but fruit initially. Grapefruit and pine oil at the end.
Again, very fresh smelling.

Taste is very bright and clean...lots and lots and LOTS of citrus peel hops with only a little sweet pale malts to offset them. Aftertaste is drying and slightly bitter from the hops.

A wonderful American IPA...as an American IPA should be...lots of hops.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%

A 12 oz. bottle poured to a pint glass. Thanks to AdamB84 for the 2 bottle hookup. A rather cheesy label: the sexy, leather-clad redhead juxtaposed against an early-1900's streetscape. Back label has a description/marketspeak superimposed on a luscious hop cone and an equally luscious pair of red lips.

A: An unfiltered haze of copper-orange with a modest amount of lazily-rising carbonation. Very nice head, however: white and creamy, building to well over a finger-high and good retention. A thick, veil-like topping and a clingy ring of cream once the head subsides. Leaves sheets of criss-crossed lace.

S: Fragrant burst of Chinook and Centennial hops: a gooey caramel sugariness married with sweet orange and tangerine citrus.

T: Quite the flavor-packed mouthful: more citrus (a big, pithy grapefruit) and a drippy pine resin. Virile spiciness, fresh and green, atop a subtle sweetness. Bitterness devolves into a zesty, somewhat pithy, tang. Shallow maltiness is doughy bread, maybe sweeter cake. Wished for a little better balance, as this leans too far toward bitter hops in my opinion.

M: Soft, creamy carbonation. A bit coating/sticky and also (oddly) heavy - pretty curious from such a 'small beer' (just 5%???). Big points for seeming much bigger than it really is.

D: Very drinkable, both from the 'flavor/aroma/likability' side and from an 'ABV/potency' side. A lovely lass and a lovely beer make for a lovely experience to end the evening. Very glad to have tracked this one down - recommended!

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

This beer is hoppy, for sure. There is a small head atop a nice partly cloudy light orange brew. There are plenty of little particles suspended in the beer. There is also ample lacing. The smell is very piney and citrusy. Sweet hops abound!!. The taste is bittersweet. This is the kind of IPA that one could drink every day. The mouthfeel is smooth and sticky. Drinkability is good. I wish this beer was more readily available here. Thanks to wcudwight who obtained it from swedejay.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Leatherlips IPA poured into my Dogfish Head pint glass . When poured , one finger / small bubbled head appears . Held up to the light the brew is slightly clear with small carbonation bubbles rising to the top . Time for the first sip . The head is all about gone . Slick , tasty and hoppy . I like my IPA's bitter , citrusy , and with a hint of grapefruit and grass . Halfway though the beer I get a soapy flavor to my palette . It is not too harsh . At the finish the hop flavor is wonderful . Good session beer , great lawn mowing beer . This is worth buying again . Maybe a road trip to the Tap is in order . Like to have this on tap .

Now if the can Red Sox play as good as this beer tastes . Toronto has been tough this weekend .

Thanks to Kurt for the suggestion .

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

This is an over the top hopped up IPA if there ever was one. The beer pours a slightly cloudy golden amber with some whiteish head and a tad bit of lacing. There is plenty of carbonation with this beer. The aroma is clearly piney, grapefruity hops, some estery and oily hops as well. The taste is just too grapefruity, astringent, and bitter and not enough of the oily, resinous, piney hop notes that would have made this more interesting. There is a chewy graininess in the background, but it is overpowered by the bittering hops, so it is only insinuating itself around the edges and hard to detect. The aftertaste is a bit too lingering, but not bad. The beer is low ABV, which is a good thing, and fairly light bodied, also a good thing, for a beer that is this hopped up. Not bad, not my favorite, but worth a try. You've been warned though.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Slightly hazed, bright golden copper with a medium off-white head that reduces to a thin veil and leaves behind an attractive coating of lacy foam.

S-Up front spicy citrus and some backing pine. Sweet biscuit malt backs up this fairly aggressive hop bill.

T-BAM! A big old blast of orange rind bitterness crashes onto the palate. Resinous pine and an actual leather like dryness builds in behind. Lightly sweet biscuit malt backs all of this hoppy goodness up.

M-Medium-light body, sharp and crisp bitterness and a pleasant astringency.

D-Damn nice! This one really lives up to its name. Amazingly dry in a way that totally works in an IPA. This plus the fact that it clocks in at a sessionable 5% ABV and is loaded with flavour makes this one a go to IPA for sure. If I could get Haverhill fresh and local this beer would definitely have a permanent spot in my beer arsenal!

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

Opened with barely a sound and poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Deep golden color with a bit of a haze and no head to speak of (even with an aggressive pour) due to the lack of carbonation

S - Very faint hops and toasted malt

T - All bitter with very little hop flavor or aroma. Slight toasty malt.

M - Very thin with almost no carbonation

D - Total drain pour. I wouldn't mind trying it fresh on tap to give it another shot but I don't see myself bothering with another bottle.

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured a nice golden color with a dense rocky head
Pronounced piney and citrusy aroma, along with an earthy spice to it. Huge hop bouquet. This beer seemed a little thin and light bodied for an IPA. I found the taste to be dank and somewhat harsh, and solvent like. The hops in this beer were pretty overwhelming.

IMHO this beer could better be served by adding some crystal & additional pale to the malt backbone in order to sweeten it slightly, and boost the abv. I think this beer would be a knockout at 6-6.5%abv
It certainly is a tasty beer, but by far not the best IPA I have tried.

Leather Lips IPA from The Tap Brewing Company