Hue Beer | Hue Brewery LTD

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by UncleJimbo on 12-23-2002

2.51/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that died down and left some lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of corn adjuncts are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of corn adjuncts along with faint hints of sweetness and a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little watery and clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink but doesn't have any interesting flavors. I guess it would be good in the tropics on a hot and humid day.

2.75/5  rDev +11.3%

2.18/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Had this at a bar in Hue. Bottle was marked 'export' as well. From notes.

A - Poured gold and bright with good carbonation. One finger of white head was gone fast and left no lace or retention.

S - Really mild. Honey and grain.

T - Chemically corn. Grain and honey as well. Flavour began quite offensive with that cleaning product thing going on. Mellowed out further down the road with more honey and grain.

M - At first this was a little hard to get down but it became a little easier furthern on. Good carbonation, lightish body and a little dryness after a heavy adjunct sweetness.

O/D - Not something I'd want too much of. That chemical note was really offputting, but it was smoother as it went on. Not one of Vietnam's finest, but definitely not its worst.

2.36/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a clear golden-yellow with a foamy white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and vegetal aromas. Taste is much the same with sugary and metallic flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer with some aromas and flavors that make it pretty much undrinkable.

1.31/5  rDev -47%

I'd never heard of Hue beer before tonight when I saw it on the menu at a local Vietnamese restaurant. I remember images of the Tet Offensive in the Vietnamese war and the street battles that occurred in Hue. My cautious side said to order something that I already knew was good, but my adventurous side got the better of me, so Hue it was.

Oh, wow! Not so good. This import, I swear, must be one of Vietnam's ways of getting back at us for what happened in Hue. However, I can't say that I'm sorry that I ordered it since it's provided me with a new baseline for judging awful.

The initial pour from the heavy bottle into the glass looked adequate — not promising, but adequate. It was a very light but vivid yellow with a thin, but average amount of foam. Bringing it up to my mouth, however, the smell of sour, yeasty, and slightly decaying skunk drifted into my nostrils. I had to, first, sit it down, shake my head, then work up to actually tasting it.

Once past the foul odor, the taste was somewhat better, but only in comparison to the offensive aroma. The taste was a weak, flat and incongruous mixture of clashing flavors that rapidly decayed into a slight metallic aftertaste. Admittedly, there was a hint of actual beer flavor mixed in with what I can best describe as a fermented concoction of boiled rice and corn strained with a dirty sock into a bucket of composted grass clippings. Holding my breath while drinking it provided me with the several attempts necessary to empty about half the glass before giving up.

I'm rarely unable to finish a beer, but this was one of those times. Although some here have given it an average ranking, I think that mostly provides evidence that different people experience tastes in vastly different ways, 'cause I honestly can't imagine anyone liking this stuff.

2.95/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle (£1.39 from Chung Yong Supermarket, Glasgow):
Golden with a 0.5cm white head that has slightly foamy texture. The beer is pretty clear with a lot of bubbles rising to the surface. The head also stays pretty well with no visible reduction.

Light with some corn and grassy hops, there is a bit of bread and some basic lager adjuncts coming through. There was also some light lager malts as well with a touch of skunk.

Light hops, a grassy flavour with some bread and light lager malts. There is some very light citrus and a touch of grain. As expected this one was a basic lager taste.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation and a very slightly gassy feel and is refreshing at least.

Okay for what it was, a mass-produced and very cheap (at least in Vietnam anyway) pale lager that hits the spot, particularly in a hotter climate. It's by no means great but it is worth a try more for the novelty of trying a Vietnamese beer when you get the chance.

3.53/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very eye catching label with OK artwork. Has a gold foil wrap around neck and cap. Really looks like it came from the Orient.

Appearance - Pours out a crystal clear golden yellow with a 1 finger fizzy white foam head. Moderate carbonation rising from the glass.

Smell - Smells of earthy grassy hops mixed with bread-like corn-like malt aroma. Almost has a faint white wine aroma.

Taste - Tastes of rice malt flavor with hints or corn malt flavor. Slight hop bitterness mixed with a faint white wine flavor on the back end.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied despite medium carbonation. Very light, crisp, and smooth.

Drinkability - Refreshing with a light feel that doesn't fill you up. Drinkable on a hot day

My first time having this and first time having anything brewed in Vietnam. A very unique taste unlike anything I have ever had. Very refreshing and I enjoyed it much more than I expected. Now I have a go to beer if I ever find myself in Vietnam or more likely at a Vietnamese eatery.

2.76/5  rDev +11.7%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very pale yellow with a tiny fizzy head.

Smells of sweet grain along with a little bit of lemon. Somewhat promising

The taste starts off decent with some sweet bready grain typical of cheap Euro lagers. This doesn't last long however, as a harsh bitterness takes hold. The grain fades away into nothing but bitterness. The mouthfeel is sticky but dry at the same time. Not a very pleasant finish.

Overall this beer wasn't all that enjoyable. I could drink it again but probably wouldn't.

2.5/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Aroma
Very light grassy scent that is pretty vibrant, think there are some adjuncts there somewhere. Slight sweetish malt, this really smells like a BMC to me.

Mouthfeel
Medium/higher end of carbonation some slight bitterness. Kind of watery, I think the carbonation is meant to attempt to try to hide some of this but doesn't do that well

Appearance
Pale straw in a goblet glass. Poured to slight head that left quickly although maybe some slight lacing with the little that's there

Taste
Some bitterness with a sweetish undercurrent that isn't very pleasant. It really tastes a bit like Stag to me, although I like Stag more.

Drinkability
Fairly, it's meant to be a drink a bunch/sessionable beer but there's a taste in there I don't care for much that's kind of sickish sweet

Overall
average if I'm comparing to american pilsner with the added expense of purchasing this it's definitely not worth a premium.

Hue Beer from Hue Brewery LTD