Green Chili Beer | Flat Branch Pub & Brewery

Flat Branch Pub & Brewery
Missouri, United States
flatbranch.com

Style: Chile Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

This is the chili-heads favorite brew. A mild base beer is spiced up with Anaheim and Serrano peppers. This beer has a wonderful green chili aroma and a touch of heat in the finish. Have it with tomato juice as a “liquid enchilada”.

Added by maxpower on 01-14-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.44/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This chili beer has some heat. I have not had much experience with chili beers, but if I want that hot spicy flavor, I will order some chips and salsa

2.43/5  rDev -25.9%

The beer pours clean, with an enticing smell, and unique taste. However, the clarity and aroma are an abrupt contrast to the flavor of the beer.

Note: This is my only tasting of a chili beer. Please take note, that it could be an entire dislike for the style, rather than the merits of this style of beer.

3.93/5  rDev +19.8%

Reviewed from notes taken 5/29/14

Deep amber color with a thin, clinging white head. Peppery smell with a bit of smokey character. Taste reflected a peppery base upfront yet relatively mild overall; light grain flavor. Medium bodied with a slightly coarse feel; crisp, clean, and dry finish.

A good, respectable chili beer. The pepper heat starts somewhat slowly then builds in intensity. Nice combination and blending of pepper heat and gentle malt flavors. Pairs nicely with their bayou chicken/sausage pasta dish.

4.25/5  rDev +29.6%

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

On draft at the source. The beer is light orange and mildly hazy with a thin white collar. The aroma does indeed offer a healthy dose of green chilies. The flavor is one dimensional, with a light body and ample green chilies throughout. No heat or burn in the finish, which I was expecting. A fun beer to sample, and well done for what it is. I like green chilies, so it's likely that I enjoyed this more than the average consumer. Worth a try.

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

2.28/5  rDev -30.5%

I had this on tap at Flat Branch.

My colleague ordered this one and I had to try it. It was a murky sort of yellow with white head. The smell is that of, well, chillis, and alcohol.

The taste is more or less the same as the smell. I honestly almost gagged as this hit my tongue and went down my throat. Perhaps one of the most unpleasant beers I've tasted.

Overall this is a big miss. I would not, could not, drink this beer again.

3.49/5  rDev +6.4%

A. Bright and inviting, and still slightly cloudy. Decent carbonation, that fades quickly.

S. Some initial malt sweetness before the chili takes over. It kind of has a "ballpark nachos with jalapenos" smell to it.

T. Light and smooth, the chili's bark is worse than its bite- which is good. Just enough chili to dominate without taking over completely.

M. Light but a little chewy, it does not burn like I feared it would.

D. Good for what it is, but not my cup of tea. It is not offensive in any way.

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%

On-tap at the brewpub. This appears clear and blonde. To keep this simple, which is easy for this brew, this tastes like crisp green bell peppers in a glass. It doesn't taste like hot peppers like other chile beers, just greenhouse bell peppers. There isn't enough malt to balance out the pepper and the pepper isn't terribly tasty. It's worth a try, but not a good session beer.

3.91/5  rDev +19.2%

While I'm waiting for my beer to warm up, I might as well plug in some reviews I scratched down...

Growler at Pete's RB Spring Gathering. Thanks Dorothy. :P

Slightly unsettling, muggy yellow color. Wisp of pasty white head.

Raw jalapeno nose singled out among a muddled produce section of smells.

Taste is straight up corn tortillas, itchy malt, with just a nip of jalapenos & brighter green Italian peppers lingering on the follow-through.

Spritzy carbonation, doughy, & slightly metallic. Chewy?

Lots of fun. :)

Growler at PPRBSG09. This was actually one of my favorite beers of the whole gathering! Pours a clear yellow with a small white head. Aroma of salsa and tortilla chips. Flavor is largely tortilla chips with a slightly spicy finish. Not really spicy at all (and I'm very sensitive to spices). This is a great beer! If you like tortillas and salsa (like I do), then you'll enjoy this beer! So drinkable too.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast