Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Blazing World | Modern Times Beer

YOUR RATING = None |
Blazing WorldBlazing World

Modern Times Beer
California, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

This beer is the stickiest of the icky. It's a luxuriously hoppy amber loaded up with intemperate quantities of Nelson, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops, which are some of the fruitiest, dankest hops sweet, sweet money can buy. Despite its amber hue, Blazing World is pleasingly dry, sporting a lightly bready malt backbone that serves as platform for the huge & complex hop profile.

Added by mactrail on 06-30-2013

Reviews: 141 | Ratings: 1,048

Ive had this beer at the brewery and out of a can. Both are WONDERFUL. Awesome DANK aroma and a bit of citrus. Flavor is out of this world. Sweet, dank, smooth, balanced. Makes you want more.

A - Poured a very light body, caramel, slight yellow, reddish hues, but clear, only time it was hazy was due to carbonation. 2 finger head off white head that will flirt with you throughout drinking.

S - Smells just like the can says, very dank, piney, light maltiness, epic citrus notes. This beer has 1 of my favorite hops, the legendary Simcoe. This thing is beautiful to the nose.

T - Depending how you drink this you will get a completely different experience. Quick sips reveal a very complex hop profile, perfectly balanced with the malt, a dry finish and an after taste of bitter with sweetness. Longer sips will reveal the malt character very quickly then smooth out with a wonderful backsplash of fruit, mango, pineapple, grapefruit, pine, dry bitterness.

M - Very light, highly drinkable, it's so crisp and light, it reminds me of a lager.

O - This beer is immediately one of my favorites. This is has something for everyone in this beer. It's light, crisp, drinkable, citrus, bitter, pine, dank, and more. I can't say enough good things about this beer. There's something for everyone. I wish Modern Times fused this with Fortunate Island. Wow, that would be amazing, The Simcoe and the Citra would be an instant hit! PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE LISTING MODERN TIMES, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

4.96/5  rDev +20.4%

Extra received in a trade. Was very happy to be able to try this.

Pours a copper amber color. Decent head on this one.

Mango and pineapple. Fruit punch.

Same as smell, more on the pineapple side though.

Beer seemed a little light and lost carbonation very quick in the can.

Overall this beer was still absolutely amazing and I would love to drink some more some time very soon if possible.

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

This beer has a very unassuming can design. I wasn't familiar with the brand and didn't expect too much (yes, I judged the book by its cover.) Took a sip and thought... hey, that's a lot better than I expected - didn't think I should rate it so high because anything is great coming from very low expectation. After a few sips, I put the beer down and THEN it hits me. The citrusy hop flavor lingers... for a long time. It just begs for another sip then another and made me really sad when the can is gone.

4.86/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this both on tap, and from a can. The review is from a can poured into a Sierra Nevada pint glass. It's a clear honey golden color with a big white head. Smell is orange and pineapple, along with some dank hops and grass. The taste is all hops. Bitter up front with a great juicy aftertaste. The mouthfeel is so crispy at first that it seems to add a spicy flavor to the beer. Medium body that is extremely easy to drink. If I didn't see Amber on the label, I would think I was drinking a double IPA. This is one of my current favorite beers, and it's definitely worth a try.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm new to the craft brew scene and have been an IPA junky in my short career. I'm an aroma guy first so the first thing I look for is a solid nose. Blazing World NAILED it! Taste is clean yet flavorful. Something I will make sure and keep stocked in my fridge for my daily consumption.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lack of head rentention is the only thing that took away from the beautiful crystal amber. The hop profile is unreal. This is the best amber ale I've had. Buy it.

4.74/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Viscous tangerine.

S: Dank, resinous hops that are orange-like in character. Mango, nectarine.

T: Peach, mandarin or tangerine, hoppy but not overly bitter.

M: The thickness of a double or triple IPA without being too astringent on the finish.

O: Super impressed with this one. Apparently a "hoppy-dank amber" lies somewhere between a double IPA and an imperial red in taste and mouthfeel (though without the higher ABV).

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours with a very thick, creamy white head that leaves a nice lace around the glass. The head on mine dwindled down just a bit, but It could be my glass. Smells like fall. Tart grapefruit maybe some pepper. Smells like hop heaven. Awesome! Tastes almost like a bitter. Some cinnamon flavors, a bit of citrus in the background. Doesn't taste like it smells, but this is a fabulous tasting beer. Yum. Would like to have this on cask. Thick and creamy in the mouth. A bit sticky. Surprisingly not too heavy. I could see myself drinking these after a hard day of work trying to quench my thirst. This is a delight. So glad I picked this up!

4.66/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16oz can into a speiglau IPA glass.

Look is a light mahogany with a big fluffy slightly tan head.

Lots of hopping on the aroma. At the same time both incredibly herbal and intensely citrus.

Beer is a nice balance of Amber malt and and hops. Hops tickle your tongue and provide a citrus pepper note.

Excellent beer well balanced and interesting all around. I can see myself enjoying lots of these in a row or one to really delve into.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Copper colored with slight amber hue
Smell: Very complex nose. Sweet and bready malt with fruity aromas and candied sugar
Taste: Offering reminds me somewhat of 90min IPA. high IBU yet not alot of bitterness because of sweet backbone. After drinking its hard to decide whether this is an IPA or an amber ale as described.
Feel: Lower carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel and a head that is as creamy as they come.
Overall: This was an amazingly complex beer. Modern Times is a brewery to keep an eye out for. A beer that I feel will be loved by all craft beer fans

4.64/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

So dank and good.

From a 16 oz from Trader Joe's.

Beautiful amber color with a wonderful dank smell. Very clean, crisp taste with good carbonation and a roasty touch. Definitely one of the favorites now.

4.61/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I haven't written a review in a while, but this beer alone made me change that.

I was practicing with my band and happened to see a beer tasting sign outside of a warehouse across the street from us. After practice I went in to check the place out. Modern Times! Never heard of it, but I'll give it a try. I wanted something I could take home. I didn't want a growler so I asked them about their cans. I was interested in an IPA, but unfortunately they didn't can or bottle Phalanx at the time. The bartender told me that this was very much like an IPA, very dank and hoppy. Why not? I grabbed a 4 pack and headed home.

I got home and cracked open a can and the smell just jumped right out at me. Wow! Sweet tropical fruits, piney, citrusy, dankness. Definitely picking up on the Nelson Sauvin in this one. It really smells like an IPA. It pours a redish-golden color with a white foamy head. The smell really took off once I poured it.

Now time for the taste. A nice punchy bitterness that isn't too overpowering. Huge tropical fruit, some pine, weed/dank (so that's why they call it "Blazing World"), some herbal qualities, and citrus. Again, Nelson Sauvin really shines here. A little caramel from the malts too. The balance between hops and malt is perfect in this beer. I could drink this all day.

Now comes the mouthfeel. Somewhat thick and a bit lower in carbonation than I would expect. Not syrupy or oily, but very full bodied. I wish it were a bit crisper and lighter. Oh well, fantastic beer nonetheless.

Overall, I'm very very impressed. Reminds me a lot of Nugget Nectar but way more tropical fruit and dankness. So good. Watch out world, here comes Modern Times.

Edited 1/17/15

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Looks like no other beer I've ever had, it looks 'earthy.' Honestly, if I hadn't known the beer style prior to pouring this pint I would have guessed it to be a brown ale.

Very fruity, notes of guava, fig, and dank nug.

Tastes of dark tropical fruit, orange peel, guava, and possibly passion-fruit. I'm honestly getting a red starburst taste on the backend, fucking delicious.

Mouthfeel is thick and sweet with a dank hop bitterness that balances this brew perfectly.

Overall a spectacular red/amber ale. Every time I think I don't like reds/ambers, there is a brew like this to change my attitude.

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into a red solo cup while camping. Orange/red look, real strong citrus and bold hop smell. Real sweet citrus and hop flavor. This beer is amazing loved every drop!

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Light amber, darker than gold but stopping well short of red. White head with good retention and lacing. Very clear.
Aroma: pretty good wallop of nelson- black pepper, cannabis, pineapple, garlic and chives, melon. Generally pretty herbal and fruity, not particularly citrusy, maybe a little bit piney. Lasting impression is tropical and dank. Malt aroma is barely perceptible.
Flavor: firm bitterness, dry, continues the pineapple melon garlic/chive character from the aroma. Slight toastiness/kilned flavor, but still dominated by the hops. Residual sweetness is low.
Mouthfeel: fairly crisp, medium carbonation, light medium body
Overall: This has been one of my favorite San Diego beers since I first tried it, and I have had it many times since both from tap and can. It is a very modern beer in terms of the hop character, with a powerful fruitiness that manages to be just restrained enough by the more herbal qualities. Very morish; despite a powerful aroma and flavor, the beer never becomes fatiguing for me.

One thing I feel like stating, and I know I'm not the first person to point this out- this beer is marketed as an amber; it's an IPA. I'm not a style nazi, so this fact doesn't affect the beer's score in my eyes, but the color of the beer, which is achieved almost entirely by a small addition of roasted grain, per the homebrew recipe on their website and the ingredient list on the can, is, while on the darker end, still in spec for an IPA, and everything else about the beer just screams IPA. It has none of the expected malt flavor or aroma of an amber/red ale, so don't expect that going in. Again, I still love the damn thing, just sayin'.

4.56/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: This beer pours a mix of amber, brown and gold, almost resembles a barley wine, leaves a large fluffy white head that leaves good lacing around the glass, the beer just looks like it has kind of a weird funky color to it, but it still looks solid

S: Much more impressed with this category, this beer has a really dank hop character to it, and it is quite impressive, you can pick apart the nelson, simcoe, and mosaic hops used in this beer which gives this beer a unique smell to it, get nice bursts of citrus, some spice, and a hint of pine, and you can also slightly notice the malts as well, very good smell to this beer

T: Again I am very impressed with this category, it is not very complex, but it is very well balanced and the flavors present in the mix are outstanding, at first I get that burst of citrus, then some spice and piney notes followed with a hint of bready and sweet malts, and a nice lingering light bitterness at the end, leaves your mouth feeling a little dry which makes you want more, incredible flavor profile with this beer

M: I really like the mouthfeel to this beer, it's slightly oily, very light, and very crisp, incredibly drinkable!

O: Little unimpressed with the color but everything else is phenomenal in this beer, must try if you can get your hands on it!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

LOOK: Pours a dark bronze with a hint of amber. Soapy head leaves sheets of lace behind on the pint. Gotta love a beer that comes in a 16.9 pounder can and the quality is this high.

SMELL: Very nice aroma, and dank is a perfect word. Pungent West Coast American hops in your face. Resin, hemp seed, guava, mandarin.

TASTE: The taste is nice and bitter upfront with the perfect combination of herb, pine and tropical fruit, Mango, papaya, passionfruit, and clementine orange all come to mind in the flavor. Sugary malt character lays a perfect foundation to carry the hop notes along. Great balance, fresh tasting, and just a touch darker than a typical IPA. This is very freaking tasty.

FEEL: Full bodied, yet smooth and soft on the palate. Good amount of carbonation, this beer drinks effortlessly. Very clean finish leaving the drinker yearning for another sip of this hoppy sweet amber ale.

OVERALL: A great example of West Coast hop flavors, Modern Times Beer has created a very successful recipe here. Gaining some momentum from hop heads and beer collectors, this is a perfect canned hoppy amber ale. Delightful.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice light amber, almost copper. Clear with a very nice thick head that lingers around.

S: Very appealing a lot of pine and some dankness to go with a faint fruity mango and grapefruit.

T: Slight pine and dankness upfront with some resemblance of the pale chocolate. Love that this is an amber ale that isn't so caramel sweet. You get the hops in there nicely and balance with the bready backbone.

M: Some bitterness but not even harsh. Really easy to drink and crisp.

O: I think this easily go to the top of my top Amber Ale beers. A lot of hop flavor and aroma and not all that tongue coating caramel.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

honey-amber colored, with some white foam on top.
smell is absolutely divine. sweet, yet hoppy; almost like a candy-coated hop bud.... but not so bitter. taste is wonderfully filling and full. sweet with a small bitterness to it; I cant say where they get the 85 IBUs from, because i'm not getting it.... white soapiness drools down the sides. the brew is not oily, nor sticky. it's not bitter, and not overly sweet. a slight bit of caramel, maybe, but this is an almost perfect concoction. and at 6.8%, this is quite an accomplishment! this is nectar!! perfect mix of hops and malts! this is one for the books!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up at Stone in the airport. 16 oz can, no date. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Slightly cloudy medium amber, head is slightly off white with very good retention.

S: Excellent fruity hop aroma. One of the best I've smelled in a while.

T: Amazing hop flavor with a great malt backbone. Finishes unbelievably clean.

M: Mouthfeel is a little thick, but it also feels surprisingly crisp.

O: Maybe this beer was so good because it was fresh, nevertheless, it is one of the best hoppy ambers I've had in a long time.

4.54/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - Pours an opaque golden-amber color. A vigorous pour yielded a head that would overtop my Spiegelau glass if I kept pouring. Head is surprisingly white for the amber. Overall, I would like for it to be a little bit more reddish, hence my 4.25 score.
S - roastiness. Aroma is there but not overpowering. I'm getting a kind of metallic-y smell. Not sure if that is my glass or what.
T - This is like a clean tasting, roasty IPA, if that makes any sense. I'm a big fan of this genre when it's like an IPA but with a nice roasty flavor to it. It's more Lagunitas Imperial Red than it is Nugget Nectar, as this does not have the fruity sweetness of the nectar. Bitterness hits the tip of the tongue and then the maltiness settles in at the middle of the tongue. Bitterness lingers after the swallow is gone, as does a bit of dry sweetness.
F - Despite the malt, I'm not getting a slick mouthfeel, which I prefer. I described it as clean earlier.
O - I'm scoring this pretty high because I have been disappointed so many times in this style. This one is definitely one that I would continually go back to (especially at $11/4 pack (16oz cans). Too bad the distributor has indicated this is the first and last shipment they will be receiving from this brewery. Bottom line is this; if you like this style and see this beer, buy it.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Slightly hazy cream soda-like appearance with abundant lacing, smelling of caramel sweet malt with a touch of honey and pine, tasting excellent balance between the pungent hop character and the elegant malt back, with good carbonation to compliment the lightly weighted mouthfeel.

Modern times
Blazing world
American amber ale
6.8% ABV

APPEARANCE: Poured a hazy, ugly, penny copper orange with a lazy sticky two finger off white head. Stuck around for a nice while before finally settling into a small halo.

AROMA: If dank was a fruit, then this would be fresh squeezed dank! Great tropical fruit overload, pineapple, mango, and citrus. The simcoe hops really hit the nose before making way for the malty goodness that crashes over.

TASTE: The aroma makes you think you are drinking an ipa, but the first sip is malt forward and reminds you that this is still an amber ale. Flavor is intense and in your face. Great fruitiness and floral notes that are interviewed with a small amount of pine. Finishes out with a nice sweet biscuity, honey backbone.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium body and Medium carbonation. Slightly more sticky and chewy then I would expect from 6.8% ABV. Nice semi dry snappy finish that quenches me thirst but also leave me longing for a other sip at the same time.

OVERALL: I'll go right out and say this is my favorite amber to date. So well balanced, but the hoppiness that isn't usually found in an amber is nice and present. Makes it drink like an American amber ipa combo and I love it! Great job Modern Times, I now put this above the fortunate islands on my top Modern Times beer list!

RATING: 4.5/5 Zombie Heads!

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

I don't care what they call it, it's an IPA. It's amazingly hoppy for an "amber". A great, readily available beer you can always rely on. My new go-to for any day of the week.

Blazing World from Modern Times Beer