Uncle | Rhinegeist Brewery

3.96/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.26/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: brown caramel body with a little light escaping very little head was chunky and off white.

S:Mild is right hardly any nose at all maybe some light coffee faintest hints of malts.

T: light malts lots of grain corn hints of coffee.

M: medium bodied slight carbonation bite.

O: very easy drinking beer I can't really see where the Coffee comes in but it's a good beer.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I know nothing about this style. However, this is a very nice beer. I could drink many of these. Very clean clear look and not much nose. Taste toward the malty side but not sweet. It doesn't lean bitter either. Just a nice clean finish. Drinking this at the Brewery, which always makes beer taste better, but I would recommend this very approachable beer to anyone.

2.95/5  rDev -29.3%

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Growler filled on 2/26/17. Nonic pint.

A: pours a clear, very dark reddish or medium brown with ruby hints. Two fingers of sandy head and very active carbonation - surprising for a two week old growler! Little lacing, retains a thick ring around the edge. Seems over carbonated for the style.

S: dark, toasty malts. Colombian coffee; nutty.

T: Toasty, crisp and clean. Lingering roasty malt. My last growler was a Brett beer, and I don't think I got it completely eradicated; there's a little sourness/funk. A little earthy or red apple skin English hop on the finish, but this is clearly a malt-driven affair. This would be killer with food. Nutty roast notes linger lightly on the finish. Pretty spot on.

M: medium to light bodied, with some slight slickness and very active carbonation. I drank 16 oz. in about a minute. Exceptionally refreshing. So I know this is way overcarbonated for the style, but this is the richest sub 5% beer I believe I've ever had. So I'm giving it some extra credit in this category.

O: I love English brown ales, and heard about this two years ago, and wanted to try it but the time was never right. It is a summer beer, and I can see why; this would be perfect for playing cards on a rainy August day. Absolutely worth trying, and I will continue to seek it out when available. My only knock would be that it is a mild; at 3.8%, it goes down easily and feels lightweight. I'd probably pick a 6% brown ale before this 8 times out of 10. The only other dark mild I've had is Ghettoblaster, and I think this is better.

Uncle from Rhinegeist Brewery