Beck's Dark | Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's DarkBeck's Dark

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-07-2001

View: Beers
3.09/5  rDev +2.7%

Haven't had this since I discovered what truly great beer is...I wonder if it'll have the same appeal as it once did? It used to be something to grab if the only other choices were Bud, Bud Light, MGD, Coors, et al. I was never ignorant enough to think it was something exotic, but it used to really do the trick.

Pours a quarter-inch foamy head, with reddish-brown color underneath. Little specks of lace are left as the liquid slowly disappears. I'd be fooled into thinking this was a brown ale if I didn't know otherwise.

Not really impressed with the aroma. Cooked veggies a wet paper fight with and win out against toasted pumpernickel and brown sugar. The sweeter, breadier elements of the aroma don't have a change against the more typical (for the style) vegetal element.

Flavor is where it counts the most, and this one does boast some of that. I like the milk-chocolate pudding flavor, also the toasted grains, caramel and dark-bread side of its character. Carbonation is on the higher end of the scale, adequate for the style but probably a little too much for my liking. Each sip is nice, there's something to enjoy here, but don't expect nirvana.

Not amazing, but certainly not repulsive. Definitely one of the best of the widely-available corporate beers. In a pinch, you could do a lot worse.

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Bottle dated Best Before April 2008. Pours a dark brown with subtle hints of red. Large rocky beige head which although impressive at first sinks in a matter of only seconds. Light lacing around the glass.

Aroma is decent. This bottle is mildly skunked, but thankfully I can still make out the rest of the flavors. Strong malts, a lot of bread and roasted malts and a bit of molasses. Light earthy hoppiness.

The flavor is sweet but not overbearingly. The hops from the nose are nowhere to be found however. Roasted grains and the molasses are in charge here, and that's about it.

Thick, somewhat syrupy mouthfeel and poor carbonation. Not offensive in any way, but nothing that stands out. This is definitely a very, very average Eurolager.

3.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Every now and then when the wallet is thin I'll grab a 6er of this for 5 bucks from the local food jobber.

Clear chestnut brown pour with a small tan head that retains AOK, leaving no lace.

Aroma is light toasted malt and toffee.

Flavor is toasty malts, hints of roasted nuts, and some light toffee sweetness with a moderate hop finish.

Body is fairly light, with hight carbonation and decent drinkability. Goes well with burgers.

2.19/5  rDev -27.2%

Does Beck's make a good beer? I've gots to know.

Pours an attractive dark brown with some carnelian highlights. Taste has some malt, maybe a bit of toastiness. I detect bitterness, could be hops, but there's no grapefruit or pine flavoring to it.

Mouthfeel is thin, carbonation went all crazy then vanished ... stay away.

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%

A: amber to dark brown, 1" off white head, dissipates fast leaving no lace, very clear with a slight sparkle.

S: caramel, toasted malt.

T: caramel, light (pleasant) bitterness, slight citrus notes(?), lightly toasted

M: light to medium body that leaves you mouth feeling velvety, slight carbonation (nice)

D: bring ont he session with this baby. great velvety feel in my mouth going down very well.

I may buy this one again for hanging out with the guys watching some hockey.

3.52/5  rDev +16.9%

A deep cola color brew with scant white head and even less signs of any lacing. The aroma is decent with a combination of coffee and chocolate and a touch of malt. The flavor is fairly consistent with the smell, bitter coffee malt with an overriding wash of charcoal. It's pretty acqueous, easy drinking and a bit fizzy. The taste is fine if you like that bitter side of the dark lagers, almost closer to a porter by my taste, but the feel is a bit more watery than I like. I liked these for years when I was younger and would still be satisfied to drink a few, but something is definitely missing in body that takes away from the flavor. Not bad, not great.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

Had this one after a long hard day at work. Here goes....

A: Pours a nice brown color, reminds me of watered down coffee. Has a beautiful head. Nice tiny bubbles that continuously bloom throught the session looks like fluffy pillows.

S: Smell is kind of hard to describe for me, but I would have to say paperlike, metallic, with something else of a roasted nature.

T: Taste follwed the nose, Hits upfront with that cardboard taste, which I have to say I like. Followed by a burnt coffee taste, then a bitterness that tastes like a penny in your mouth. Odd sensations I know but I have to say I like it.

M: I would say maybe a little watered down. But this isnt a particularily heavy style. Nice and creamy as it hits the back of the throat.

D: Could definetly go for more. I'm finding a 24 oz. goes down pretty quickly. I've been drinking a lot of heavy beers lately and this is a good break from the norm. Slammin a sixer of these wouldnt be a problem on a Friday or Saturday night.

3.43/5  rDev +14%

A- Poured a dark color with just a hint of reddish brown. Had a good head that was creamy tasting. Also had some nice lacing.
S-Smelled slightly sweet with coffee overtones and caramel.
T-Tasted a little stronger than some dark beers Ive had. This wasnt a bad thing, you just have to like dark beers and the flavors they bring.
M-Had just the right amount of carbonation. Not to bubbly. You could tell you were drinking a little richer beer.
D-I drink these all the time just not 20 at a sitting. The mood for a rich beer makes these taste better.

2.68/5  rDev -11%

The first bottle I thought: "well, this really isn't so bad."

I mean, it poured out a reasonable deep brown, with ruby notes. Head and lacing were minimal, and it wasn't anything I was particularly excited about smelling, but it was quaffable.

And with each subsequent bottle my desire to be drinking any more of this decrease significantly.

Malty and vaguely sweet, nothing over the top but not real substantial bitterness to clear the palate. Felt nice in the mouth, crisp but not fizzy.

Kind of muddled in flavor, a bit of brown sugar/molasses but without substantial body.

Drinkable, but I'd rather not support the waste of importing this sub-par Dunkel.

3.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had two of these at a friends football party. An ok dark German for this time of year, I was pleased they even had it.

Anyways it poured a dark ruby, slight tanning head that did fade. Not fizzy but well carbonated. Alittle water in the medium body.

The aroma was faint but of toasted bread.

The taste was mostly toasted malts, bread like yeast, burnt grainyness and hey. Hops play little but do add a balance texture.

Mouthfeel was of the toasted malts. For me, the beer was smooth, at least no metallic taste that I find common with German lagers.

Drinkability was ok, not a big beer, it does not warm you, but it was nice for this setting.

2.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Dark and not foamy. Has a little bit of lacing.
Smell is very skunky and that makes it hard to smell what is really in this beer. As it warms I get a little hop aroma and some caramel/coffee but these are all very slight and may as well not even be there!
The taste is a little watery and that makes all the flavors hide even more. Some coffee hints and mabey just a tad of caramel.
Mouthfeel is clean but too clean, IE nothing here for the mouth to feel.
I used to love these beers when I didn't know what a Stone RIS was.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a dark brown color with a head that recedes fast. Some skunk in the nose but otherwise, quite malty for what it is. Taste is nice and malty with some fruitiness/skunk in the background. The aftertaste is similar to burnt coffee, which isn't a bad thing. Somewhat roasty as well. Not a bad interpretation of a style I've never had.

3.68/5  rDev +22.3%

It looks like cola when poured into a pint glass. Nothing really jumps out at you smell wise. Just smells like dark beer. Tastes good. Like roasted malt with a semi sweetness to it. I'm a fan of German dark beers. I like the low carbonation and lack of excessive ingredients. I would bet this beer may be a little better if it was bottled in a brown bottle instead of green. Sometimes these beers have a hint of skunkyness. It varies from six pack to six pack. I got a fresh batch, however, and I could drink these all night. And I think I will.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a bottle into a glass. Surprisingly easy drinking with decent taste. There was no aroma to speak of, and it does not have a distinguishable appearance, but I managed to enjoy a couple of them over the course of a couple hours. A nice malt flavor and smoothness are the most noticable qualities, though it did not have the roasted earthiness I associate with beers of this kind.

It was a warm evening, and this beer served to refresh me. I don't have any real complaints, though I don't have any very strong, distinct impressions of the beer either. A nice, decent beer. Nothing more; nothing less.

Beck’s Dark pours a dark brown color. It is clean with a beige head. The aroma and flavor are dark roasted malt, caramel, some hints of molasses, and a bit of the typical skunkiness. This beer is medium bodied with a smooth texture. Went okay with the steak I had at Outback.

3.16/5  rDev +5%

A: Near black body, 1 finger tan head with little retention and lacing.

S: Odd combonation of molasses soaked bread and a macro lager. Almost good.

T: Bready roasted malt with an odd metallic taste that ruins what should have been good.

M: A bit lighter than it should be - and over carbonated. Almost fizzy.

D: Drinkable, and there are far worse choices, but it's not good enough to keep me from moving to a better beer.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

this is a tasty dark german style beer. i consider it a macro and with that it is a lighter style than other craft beers i have tried. pours nice and decent head and carbonation. darker color but not too black. i like the smell and taste. refreshing for a dark lager.

this is relatively cheap and easy to find. certainly worth a try!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

Appearance is a dark brown with a frothy head that laces nicely. Aroma is light with roasted malts, coffee and caramel. Taste has a roasted malt, coffee and a light hop bite with a light - medium mouthfeel. I've bought this beer many times over the years, its Nothing special, but for the price it's just a good dark lager that I enjoy when wanting something different.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Saw this on the menu when we went out for drinks before the movie last night. Had actually never tried it, and that shocked me when I thought about it, so you know I had to get it now.

A - Poured a nice hazelnut brown, very clear with a smallish off white head that quicly faded leaving just a token little bit of lace ring on the top. Nice carbonation could be seen rippling from the bottom

S - Light, nutty a bit with alot of grain, decent amount of sweetness came through on the back

T - Yummy, very light but a good malty lager. Had a bit of a roasted taste to it, and a touch of sweetness as well. Decent profile.

M - Crisp, clean, quick finish. Nice carbonation made the drinking easy, and the lightness let it go down quick

Overall this was a nice little dark lager. Better then I expected. It was very light in feel and flavor, and served cold went down very easily. I think I like it better then the regular Becks, but I havent had one in a while to compare. Not a bad brew at all though, and would not have a problem having it around for a session or two.

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a 12-oz mug, this is a dark ruby color beer with a slight but fading initial head. Nose is grainy malt, but with some light toasted character--better than, say, St Pauli's dark or Heineken dark. Not very complex, but not bad tasting either: malt is the main flavor, grainy but there's enough bitterness to keep the sweetness back. No caramel flavor like many american interpretations of dunkels. Aftertaste is a little toasted. Body is a little watery.

This does actually match the Dunkel style reasonably well. It's not a style I'm a great fan of, but it's drinkable.

This is a very good dark beer. Much much better than its skunky green brother. If you like lagers/dark beers and you have the choice between this and regular becks definately go with the dark. It has a much fuller more robust flavor than the skunky green bottle. I've had better beers than Beck's Dark but not many.

3.12/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from green 12 oz bottle into pint glass. The head formed to a 3/4" fluffy cap that slowly dissipated to a thin cap leaving nice lacing behind. The beer was dark brown and clear.

The smell was of malt with tiny hints of hoppy notes.

The taste .... while MUCH better to MY TASTE than the pilsner (Beck's) is just normal for a Dunkel. It was lacking in complexity and all I could pick up was a tiny bit of maltiness and a hint of sweetness like honey.... but then the hops overpowerd the sweetness...and evened it out...

Mouthfeel was average for the style.... a bit thin and fizzy for my taste.

Drinkability - another one that you could drink all day without suffering.... but nothing special.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Translucent black brew with a small head of tannish foam. The head eventually disappears entirely.

S - Light chocolate/mocha aromas along with some toasty malt. Weak but pleasant.

T - Soft chocolate and dark cereal flavors. Nothing outstanding. A bit boring actually.

M - Light bodied and very refreshing.

D - Session beer! Uncomplicated quaffability. A very nice bar beer to compliment a burger.

3.06/5  rDev +1.7%

Nice chocolate brown color and clear with mild carbonation. Good head, light brown and foamy.

Similar toasty bread malt as Beck’s regular. Light old-world floral hops. Watery caramel sweetness. Very mild tart (raisin) fruit and chocolate notes. Slight chalky/powdery feeling.

Medium-light bodied and really smooth while maintaining a nice carbonation sting. Fairly light taste comprised of grape-like fruit touches on a powdery-toast, watery-caramel malt. Metallic flares throughout. Same light chocolate richness to it; this could be beefed up as it is too understated. At the warm end it is quite bitter.

I really enjoy Beck’s regular as a kick-back-easy beer (despite the unnecessarily high import price). This dark, though, doesn’t do it for me.

3.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours out like rusty grape juice with a thin head that fizzles out to nothing rather quickly. I mostly get hops in the nose: flowers, herbs and tea. Some roasted malt comes in if I really strain, but this is mostly flwoery smelling. Some toasty and chocolatey malts mix well with the abundant hop flavor as found in the nose. Kind of sweet. Mouthfeel is a little too sticky for me. This is all-around OK. Not really bad or good.

Beck's Dark from Brauerei Beck & Co.