Beck's Premier Light | Brauerei Beck & Co.

awful

Added by yeagerbm on 03-30-2005

2.2
30%

3.49/5  rDev +58.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1.75/5  rDev -20.5%

1.92/5  rDev -12.7%

I recently made a field trip our to Subs & Six Packs on Columbia Avenue while running another errand. I saw this in the cooler & when I realized that I had never heretofore reviewed it, I seized upon the opportunity.

From the bottle: "Beck's Quality Brewed Under the German Purity Law of 1516".

I Pop!ped the cap only to get a wafting odor of old Noble hops and corn silage. Ugh. I upended the bottle to get it over with & briefly got two fingers of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head that quickly dissipated to wisps for my trouble. Color was Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 -2) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like Saaz hops that had seen better days, along with a corn malodor that did nothing for me. Ugh. Mouthfeel was thin & watery. Ugh. The taste was just more watered-down AAL, corn & Noble hops wasted in a brew that can only be intended for the uninitiated. Ugh. Finish left me with a good case of buyer's regret. Ugh.

2.38/5  rDev +8.2%

not all that bad for a light beer. It still has a full flavor and body to it unlike most light beers so that's a plus, a negative though is that it is super light on ABV% at 2.3% so you're gonna end up drinking a lot of them just to get a good buzz.

2.87/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

2.59/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.25/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.25

1.6/5  rDev -27.3%

Slight grainy smell, but that's it. Not much smell at all. Not good or bad.

Standard light beer color. Maybe a bit lighter than usual.

The taste, however... it's like someone mixed a tablespoon of Stella into a cup of lightly carbonated seltzer. I don't mind the taste of light beer, but not when it's diluted to this extent. Somehow, it manages to be one of the most offensive flavors I've ever experienced.

This remains the only beer I've ever come close to not finishing. I guess this is how beer snobs feel when they drink a macro lager. I'd honestly recommend it just to see how bad it is. Buy a six pack and share it with your friends. Find out how close you really are.

2.6/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.75/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

2.19/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

For a light beer of 2.3% the taste is excellent.

1.98/5  rDev -10%

Got this at a reception in DC.
Smell: not that much smell.
Taste: Very watery and bland, doesn't taste like anything. Some skunky smell.
Overall: Not a beer at all.

2.41/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.25/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.06/5  rDev -6.4%

4.22/5  rDev +91.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I read many of the reviews. This is a Light Beer folks...it will not taste like the "full bodied" (regular) Becks Beer.

Look: A little pale in color, but no different from other Light Beers.

Smell: I read comments on how "skunky" it smells, it smells about the same as the full bodied Becks (to me).

Taste: I think Becks Light taste great, less "body" than the regular Becks, but still taste like Becks (to me).
This is not a Craft Beer, and cannot compete against good Craft Beers. Remember, the only other Light Beers with 64 calories are "Miller 64" and "Miller Genuine Draft 64", and this taste much better than they do.

Feel: Becks Light Beer lacks the "full bodied" presence of the regular Becks Beer, and the head is not note worthy.

Overall: I like the beer for what it is (a European style beer with only 64 calories per 12oz. bottle), not what it is not. It is not a Craft Beer (not even close), but if you like this style of beer, it taste quite good. I drink it all year round as my standard Light Beer, and enjoy many fine Craft Beers as well. Indeed, because I drink this light beer regularly, I really enjoy other good beers too.

Conclusion: If you accept this beer for what it is (a mass produced Light Beer) it is quite good, and certainly better (to me) than Michelob Ultra, Miller Light, Miller 64, Miller Genuine Draft 64,Bud light, and others. It is a great every day beer.

1.3/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

2.54/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Beck's Premier Light from Brauerei Beck & Co.