Beck's

Reviews: 746 | Ratings: 2,274 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by output01x:
2.63/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. capped bottle (Best Before End 06.2012) into a pilsener glass.

A strong pour yields a 1-finger bright white head that fades to a thin dusting and thin foam ring in less than a minute. The body is a perfectly clear straw gold with a decent amount of small, fast-rising carbonation bubbles. Almost no lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

The nose (while on the weaker side) is dominated by malt aromas with no real hops aromas coming out. The malts are grainy, like wet hay, without much of a toasted character. Some skunkiness (gotta love those green bottles) and corn-like quality is also apparent.

Sweet and slightly tart up front, flavors of dry cereal and sweet, corny malt are immediately noticeable. Upon swallowing the beer, the flavors of toasted, grainy malts comes out more along with a bit of floral hop bitterness. A slightly dry floral hop flavor then comes out in the end as an aftertaste.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer is as drinkable as any other (non-imperial) pilsener. The body is nice and light, creating a very refreshing mouthfeel. The carbonation is a bit subdued and definitely lacks fizz. This beer is definitely very drinkable and could probably be chugged on a hot summer day (if one were so inclined).

IMO this beer gets a big fat “F”. Years ago I would have given it a solid B.

In front of me is an opened bottle of Becks with its headless contents in a glass. Not more than a decade ago this was my favorite session beer. The clean, crisp taste of this little jewel with its signature back end "bitter" bite never failed me. I always enjoyed it, and it never gave me a hangover. In fact, in every case, I woke up the next day feeling as if I did not consume 4, sometimes 6 of these the prior night.

Turn the page. InBev, the largest manufacturer of artificial piss on the planet, swallows up Becks, moves its brewing out of its home country, and does God-only-knows-what to its recipe, and thus destroys another good German beer.

It is now a horrid lifeless P.O.S.

But alas, not to rest on its laurels, InBev, always in search of squeezing another .1% margin out of one of their "beers", has decided to destroy the Becks label as well. See here...

Next, go here: www.becks.com.

Tell me please---how long does it take you to find one word about Becks beer on their website?! It took me 2 minutes before my clicks revealed a page with the word "beer" on it. Isn't that special?

It wasn't long ago when I wished death for InBev; but thinking it through, IMHO, we should wish InBev continued success with their current product lines. As long as they can stay busy remaking their reconstituted urine for the masses, e.g., *Bud Light Platinum*, hopefully they will keep their filthy hands off of our wonderful craft beers.

Ehh...you know what? That's silly. I do wish InBev a slow, long, and steady suicide after all.

1.96/5  rDev -29.5%

I am not rigidly opposed to relocating beers so long as it's done properly; the Canadian Guinness Extra really isn't bad even if it isn't quite the same, and I doubt Molson Golden is drastically the worse for being brewed in Ohio.

But Beck's is different. It was by no means the best euro lager out there but for the price it was a reliable go-to for that Euroswill taste.

Up to now, my take was whatever else one thought of ABI, at least they were undeniably competent. Not anymore. One would have thought that having decided to save a buck brewing Beck's stateside, some effort would have gone into making it actually taste like German Beck's. But they didn't even come close; I stongly doubt they bothered to try. It still says it's brewed according to the 1516 German purity law, but I don't believe it; either there's adjunct in there and they're lying through their teeth or they've somehow managed to make an all-malt beer taste like it has adjunct in it, which is almost worse. I taste-tested this against St Pauli Girl, which is still imported from the Bremen brewery, and which is very similar to the old Beck's, maybe somewhat coarser. The St Pauli blew this Beckweiser into the weeds. I didn't even bother finishing it, pouring it down the drain as an auto da fe. I bet even Michelob would kick this pseudo-Beck's keister.

My first ever beer was Beck's Dark. I haven't tried the fake version yet, not sure I want to even if they did a better job with it. ABI owns a lot of brands that are still imported but now one wonders who's next. Spaten? Lowenbrau? I never was one for avoiding a brand because it was a BMC member, but this loss cuts deep. I really will look to independent brands now thanks to this disrespectful gesture by ABI towards its customers; they think we won't know the difference; they think we're stupid.

A shameful and sorrowful loss.

3.73/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Green, the color of sickness, the color of sallow malevolence. This beer almost always comes in green bottles, which usually is indicative of skunky goodness. My best intentions led me to purchase this brew in cans, which led me down a path of darkness and pain. This is my own fault, and I abhor creation and the almighty himself for the suffering invoked after a night of consuming this blasphemous nectar. I awoke with a head pierced by a dagger of molten ore and pounding fury. My mouth was an arid, dessicated abyss where only demons and harlots dare tread. All of this, in the name of Teutonic superiority. Would I recommend this beer? If you wish to gaze into the the eyes of Satan, then wholeheartedly.

2.03/5  rDev -27%

For those that remain unaware of the fact that InBev has ceased bringing German Becks into the United States, and has chosen instead to now brew it at AB in St Louis, you will not be surprised to learn that Becks as we all knew it no longer exists. What we have now is a beer that tastes remarkably like what Budweiser/Michelob USED to taste like! This InBev insult to Becks Brauerei Bremen is almost devoid of hop aroma and character. There is malt to be sure, but it is restrained. We now have a beer for the masses that will elicit little if any comment. This is now a hot weather quencher that can sadly sit along in the ice filled cooler with Coors, MGD, Bud, and light beers ad nauseum. This is what InBev wants it to be.

I drank this beer last night at the UC in Chicago out of a 16 oz can. When I saw the label, Brewed in the USA I knew I had the imposter in hand. Everyone, I implore you, do not buy InBev products if you can help it. Certainly don't buy Becks USA. Do not support their program to buy breweries, cheapen recipes, and ruin what was otherwise good beer. InBev are a plague on this earth. Becks is their latest outrage to the beer drinker. BOYCOTT THIS BEER!

3.74/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16oz canned version:
This is a good German Pilsener-Euro lager, and in some ways, its slightly better than Heineken and Stella Artois. Even though this is the American version, its still good. I Paid only $3.99 for a 4pk of 16oz cans, no skunkiness and tasted nice and fresh. The best thing about this is there's no corn and no rice adjuncts.

1.61/5  rDev -42.1%

I can't believe InBev destroyed Beck's as we know it (in the USA).I'm sure the Germans are still drinking the real thing.They would pour this swill down the drain!Shame on you InBev! This just proves how stupid and gullible they think we are in America.

3.02/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

InBev really messed up the greatest beer on my planet...German purity law...scrapped !....Now tastes like a shot of water has been added to every bottle...YUCK !...Trying to locate the Oktoberfest version....MISSING IN ACTION !...WTH ? are they thinking ? Gosh sakes...add a dollar to the price of a 12 pack and go back to the great brew it once was !...I had that sick feeling inside when informed of InBev desires to brew it in a "Bud" plant...Gave it my best try and couldn't believe they would alter it....Very foolish move....As for now, my only redemption is Saranac Oktoberfest and the hunt for a new , regular beer ....Can you say "Spaten"....I can !...By the way, I and my friends think the art work on the bottles is idiotic....really bad !..Can't make up for the watering down ...nope.

Coors Light. The taste is non existant. I don't know what AB InBev did to the beer, but they messed it up big time. The beer looks like piss and tastes like water. There is no mouth feel and I can not denote any flavor. What a disaster. AB InBev is proud of this garbage. They proudly tout the beer as quality brew when it is made in some basement in St. Louis. I can not even fathom what they were trying to go for here, but it is not even a Pilsner. Save your money.

1.93/5  rDev -30.6%

Beck's pours a bright pale straw color with a small lacing head. Very offensive grainy aroma. Taste is light (lucky), with hints of used dish water. Very watery and light body. Overall, its offensive, and ill tasting.

3.26/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

very light tasting and not a whole lot going on.

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Crisp, refreshing, bitter finish, really well balanced German pilsner. An overall great drinkable beer and one of the better German pilsners. Not sure why such a low rating on the site.

2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

Short and sweet:

Party beer, and I would walk past it if it wasn't on sale.

2.85/5  rDev +2.5%

It was late at night and it we were outside looking for the full moon. Found the bag of canned Beck's and we were thirsty from running the last 2 miles of trail. The air was cold, the beer was cold and we were thirsty. Aww Beck's, the right beer at the right time.

4.42/5  rDev +59%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very refreshing and one of my favorite German Pilsner. Great clear color and best if it's ice cold. Smooth and clean ingredients won't give you any headaches even after you finish 6 bottles by yourself. ;)

3.08/5  rDev +10.8%

Nice Golden color. Pours with about a inch and a half head which slowly dies down leaving a remnant on the sides of the glass.
Taste is not to over powering but has a hopsy taste like a mild pilsner
not fabulous in taste but worth having.
Nothing to stand out. But a very drinkable beer.... Would have to say Average, But enjoyed it
Could actually use a bit stronger pilsner taste....

1.97/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. .Pours a standard medium yellow with a one finger head and no lacing, although carbonation bubbles do continue to rise to the top. The smells is of skunky adjunct and slight rice grain. The taste is fairly bitter. More skunk than anything, following the nose. Along with some slightly cooked veggies and sweet grains. The mouthfeel adds some more sweet grain to the mix, But absolutely nothing else. Overall, It is a party beer only. In the case that you do not mind flavor at all. Other than that, avoid. Now I've never had the " German " version of Beck's, Nor will I ever take a chance with having it. If they still brew this stuff by the " German Purity Law " I think that they should probably stop doing that. What the hell is the law? putting a skunk's ass up to the bottle and letting it shit inside?

2.69/5  rDev -3.2%

Look: I am drinking it from a can, and I am too afraid of pouring it into a glass. I don't want my glass ruined.
Smell: Smells like sour beer that was left out too long in the sun.
Taste: It tastes rusty for some reason.
Feel: I don't really know what to say here. I think maybe this talks about carbonation? Anyway, It's kinda okay.

1.49/5  rDev -46.4%

It's nothing like it was before Inbev got it. I registered on this site because I enjoy a clear-ish refreshing brew fairly often, and Beck's used to do that fairly often.

Now, it's Tsing-tao all the way, for me. It's not quite like (as good as? dunno, taste is relative) Beck's, but it still is a real beer and not a bunch of bubbly slop like whatever it is that Inbev did to Beck's.

Give Tsing-tao a try after you spit out Beck's. It won't be exactly what you were after, but it'll be real, and close.

Saigon (Christmas eve 2014)

I am neutral on this beer.

1.06/5  rDev -61.9%

I have been drinking Beck's for over a decade, but when I got a recent case with the artsy new labels it tasted different, and I noticed it no longer says "IMPORTED FROM GERMANY."

So now it's brewed in St. Louis. I wonder if they'll lower the price to match the Budweiser price, since they don't pay for shipping it any more? Ha, that'll be the day!

Looks like I need to find a new beer. And look forward to my annual visit to Germany. St. Pauli Girl is still imported, I think, but the local stores are all sold out. Maybe other people noticed and switched.

2.3/5  rDev -17.3%

As they say, "there's a tear in my beer"... I bought a 12 pack today. Not much different than hundreds of times I have bought Becks. I got home and had to do a double take. St. Louis?? The King of Beers lives there and now it has dethroned my favorite beer. After being a faithful buyer of this brand I feel betrayed by another corporate move to increase profits. Well, the profits won't come from my wallet. I still have my Becks shirt I got in Bremen 10 years ago. I might think twice about wearing it...

Since my wife is pregnant she drinks the Becks non-alcoholic (still German). I am drinking the US made (unfortunately). I held her glass to my nose and it was the familiar skunky smell I love. When I held the US version I could barely smell the same smell. So, someone tell me why a non-alcoholic version of Becks is more aromatic than a full version. You try it. You'll agree.

Becks, please return to Bremen!

1.89/5  rDev -32%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Just go get rainier instead! This stuff is soulless crap - you're better off with rainier or even many of the Mexican lagers like Victoria or Dos Equis

1.12/5  rDev -59.7%

bought a six pack of becks. ended up with a six pack of sterile piss water. DO NOT BUY THIS BEER ANY MORE UNLESS YOU WANT OVERPRICED BUDWEISER. in which case i pity you.
as everyone has pointed out, becks for americans is now made in st louis and is NOTHING like it used to be. yeah im furious about this.

4.75/5  rDev +70.9%

As you can tell from my profile picture, I love Beck's. It so simple that it's brilliant. I first had a Beck's when I was seventeen, and I have loved them since. I highly recommend these and all of their other flavours.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.
Beer rating: 65 out of 100 with 2274 ratings