Beck's | Brauerei Beck & Co.

poor

Style: German Pilsener

Added by Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Ratings: 2,146 |  Reviews: 710
3.05/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- Pours a very light golden color. More of a straw yellow. Almost as clear as water. About a 1.5 finger, frothy, soft head. Head retains fairly well, and goes down to a thin, bubbly lace on top. Lacing is not bad for the style.

S- Typical Euro-pils skunky scent is prominent. Light, grain-like flavors are the only other scent. No hops detectable at all. Sweet scents are secondary and lingering in the background.

T- Much like the scent, but with more of a lingering bite at the end. Somewhat skunky flavor starts it out. Quick transition to very light grainy flavors. From the grains, the beer moves straight into a slight biting flavor that provides a balancing bitterness. It's not hops bitterness, but more dull and contrasts the largely light flavor profile. This bite lingers on the tongue. As in the scent, a slight sweetness persists throughout the drink.

M- Light, highly carbonated, and fluffy on the palate. Frothy head remnants help to provide a smooth drink. Light enough to drink about as fast as you would want. Bitter flavor mentioned previously slows the drinking down a little bit.

Overall, this is better than others I've had in the style, but not by much. The mouthfeel is pretty good for such a light beer. A good change of pace in a lighter drinking beer.

2.75/5  rDev -3.2%

3.06/5  rDev +7.7%

2.75/5  rDev -3.2%

3.34/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This is another one of those beers that I've heard about for years but had my first one just recently.

The appearance was a beautiful shade of gold but it poured a thin head and had little to know lacing. The smell was a good strong odor of malt and barley - appealing but not over powering. Mouthfeel had strong carbonation with good velvety and smooth roll on the tongue. I liked the taste, it was bold, crisp, and better than what I had expected. Not the best beer I've had but good enough.

2.71/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Always a hint of skunkiness to this beer, and just a little too rough. If you can get past a couple of these, it's not a problem. Otherwise, a nice color, kind of crisp, effervescent. Kevin Bacon drank one in "She's Having a Baby," and the beer still retains a 1980s, yuppie vibe.

1.25/5  rDev -56%

3.75/5  rDev +32%

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

1.15/5  rDev -59.5%

I just officially drank my last bottle of Becks beer today. I had been drinking Beck's religiously for over 30 years. One year ago they started producing Beck's at the BUD plant in St. Louis. Even though they tried to cover up the change by putting "artsy labels" on the bottles for a while before they put one on that now says "german quality", the taste didn't lie. EVERYTHING is now WRONG. The taste, mouthfeel, ALL WRONG! I bought up whatever REAL Beck's I could find in my area and they are finally gone! It will be a frigid day in hell before I will ever buy BUDWEISER in a BECK'S bottle. As a matter of fact I will go out of my way to make sure I never buy anything INBEV produces PERIOD. I'll make it myself first!!!
WHAT A BUNCH OF GREEDY BOZO'S!!

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.