Beck's | Brauerei Beck & Co.

poor

Style: German Pilsener

Added by Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Ratings: 2,120 |  Reviews: 701

3.65/5  rDev +28.5%

Okay, so here's my take. I've seen a couple of dozen reviews of Beck's that are displaying a great deal of distaste that this Bremen-bred brand has been obtained by the ever-so-sinister ABInBev.

And I can see where that stems from... I remember the early days of beer drinking when all I could afford was Keystone, and then later in the night I would savor a Beck's that was given to me. It was like friggin' night and day!

I do consider myself a total beer connoisseur, especially with a Total Wine liquor store only 2 miles away. If you are not familiar with Total Wine, then think of Sam's Club or Costco, but filled with every brand/type of beer/wine/liquor possible in the given state you live in.

My absolute favorite regular beer is Sagres Bohemia, which is a Euro Dark style with a 6.2 ABV. It's from Portugal, and is only $5.99 a six pack.

But back to my review of Beck's... I'll keep it as short and simple as possible. In a land completely saturated by some of, in my opinion, the worst-tasting but most popular beers on the planet (BMC, anyone?), most of our neighbors in America think those are what "beer" are.

Budweiser is the self-proclaimed "King of Beers", Coors says it is brewed with "Rocky Mountain" water, and Miller Lite is supposedly "Triple Hops Brewed".

So then enter "Americanized" Beck's 12-packs for $9.99, of which I just bought one of at Total Wine.

Even nearly 20 years ago when I first appreciated that rare Beck's, it was nearly $6.99 a 6-pack. Unaffordable for someone who even then wanted to appreciate a good beer.

So here it is, 2012 in America, and we now have a classic, enjoyable brand, albeit a bit Americanized, being brewed right in the heart of our country.

Let me stop rambling and get to the point... I know cheap beers, mediocre beers, and the best of the best:

BOTTOM LINE: Now, I can buy a quality beer that is brewed locally (instead of the environmental impact of having to be shipped over 5,000 miles via whatever method), albeit a little bit reduced in taste, but still HANDS FRIGGIN' DOWN better than the commercialized crap that many non-informed Americans consider "beer". And for under $10 a twelve!

Lead the way Beck's! Call me a sellout, but I don't give a crap. I will choose American Beck's any day than Budweiser or any other canned American beer.

1.54/5  rDev -45.8%

Decided to buy a sixer of Becks last night to help drown my sorrows after a good friend of mine died...

Well it was like another friend had died by the name of Becks - first sip and I was tasting a thin, insipid corn swill. I choked two down, copped a major headache, and shed some more tears for two dearly departed friends.

1.88/5  rDev -33.8%

Beck's now brewed in St Louis USA. I recently stopped drinking Bass Ale due to it now being brewed in NY. Bought a 12 pack of Beck's, first sip, I looked at the fine print and returned it to the store for a 11 bottle refund. Was in the "import" section of the beer, I guess you could say it was shipped across the Mississippi. The Canada made stuff is almost as bad ie: Fosters, Guinness, etc. There's still a few beers brewed where they should be and I'll make do. The price of this swill should be in line with Bud Light and other domestics, not the ridiculous high price they are asking. Sobriety is starting to look better every day with stunts like this.

1.12/5  rDev -60.6%

bought a six pack of becks. ended up with a six pack of sterile piss water. DO NOT BUY THIS BEER ANY MORE UNLESS YOU WANT OVERPRICED BUDWEISER. in which case i pity you.
as everyone has pointed out, becks for americans is now made in st louis and is NOTHING like it used to be. yeah im furious about this.

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

2.3/5  rDev -19%

As they say, "there's a tear in my beer"... I bought a 12 pack today. Not much different than hundreds of times I have bought Becks. I got home and had to do a double take. St. Louis?? The King of Beers lives there and now it has dethroned my favorite beer. After being a faithful buyer of this brand I feel betrayed by another corporate move to increase profits. Well, the profits won't come from my wallet. I still have my Becks shirt I got in Bremen 10 years ago. I might think twice about wearing it...

Since my wife is pregnant she drinks the Becks non-alcoholic (still German). I am drinking the US made (unfortunately). I held her glass to my nose and it was the familiar skunky smell I love. When I held the US version I could barely smell the same smell. So, someone tell me why a non-alcoholic version of Becks is more aromatic than a full version. You try it. You'll agree.

Becks, please return to Bremen!

1.06/5  rDev -62.7%

I have been drinking Beck's for over a decade, but when I got a recent case with the artsy new labels it tasted different, and I noticed it no longer says "IMPORTED FROM GERMANY."

So now it's brewed in St. Louis. I wonder if they'll lower the price to match the Budweiser price, since they don't pay for shipping it any more? Ha, that'll be the day!

Looks like I need to find a new beer. And look forward to my annual visit to Germany. St. Pauli Girl is still imported, I think, but the local stores are all sold out. Maybe other people noticed and switched.

1.49/5  rDev -47.5%

It's nothing like it was before Inbev got it. I registered on this site because I enjoy a clear-ish refreshing brew fairly often, and Beck's used to do that fairly often.

Now, it's Tsing-tao all the way, for me. It's not quite like (as good as? dunno, taste is relative) Beck's, but it still is a real beer and not a bunch of bubbly slop like whatever it is that Inbev did to Beck's.

Give Tsing-tao a try after you spit out Beck's. It won't be exactly what you were after, but it'll be real, and close.

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%

3.5/5  rDev +23.2%

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

The Death of Beck's Dark

It took me a little to realize what had happened; the taste changed like I had gotten a funny batch. Also I started to get a headache, digestive problems and I thought what the hell is going on? After examining the label and realizing it had changed I looked up on my iPhone and to my horror I found that this was now an Anheuser product; brewed in St Louis...

Well that it explained my negative physical reaction. I was stunned. Anheuser Busch products make me physically ill and taste poor.
I was angry that Inbev had botched this and will effectively kill this beer. I will never purchase Beck's Dark again or any "Beck's" product.

So long Beck's...a moment of silence in remembrance please.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.