Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Beck's | Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

Style: German Pilsener

Added by Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Ratings: 2,164 |  Reviews: 715

2.61/5  rDev -5.4%

I picked this up at Wegman's as part of a mix-a-six, limited edition art bottle label by M.I.A. poured chilled into a mug.

The color is yellow/golden and moderately fast moving carbonation rises with good clarity and thick 2 finger white cap with fine bead that has some lace stickage, retention is good. The smell is very skunky and slightly floral with mild hint of sweet graininess in there but mostly light struck hop scents dominate. The feel is not great as it is highly carbonation like soda or seltzer water with a moderately slick feel and subtle spiced tinges with relatively dry finish.

I found the taste to be average with some diacetyl present which doesn't harm the malt flavor that much, but there is a little vegetal Dms present with a hint of hop spiciness and slight corn-pop like sweetness, the flavor comes and goes and if the aroma was not so skunky that basic flavor would be decent, I blame the green bottle for the hop degradation so in general just a so-so pils. Overall I would not get this beer again based on the skunked smell and it is really sub par in comparison to other pilsners of same style.

3.75/5  rDev +35.9%

1.97/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. .Pours a standard medium yellow with a one finger head and no lacing, although carbonation bubbles do continue to rise to the top. The smells is of skunky adjunct and slight rice grain. The taste is fairly bitter. More skunk than anything, following the nose. Along with some slightly cooked veggies and sweet grains. The mouthfeel adds some more sweet grain to the mix, But absolutely nothing else. Overall, It is a party beer only. In the case that you do not mind flavor at all. Other than that, avoid. Now I've never had the " German " version of Beck's, Nor will I ever take a chance with having it. If they still brew this stuff by the " German Purity Law " I think that they should probably stop doing that. What the hell is the law? putting a skunk's ass up to the bottle and letting it shit inside?

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%

1.49/5  rDev -46%

This is my second review of Becks the first being the German version which I gave a fairly reasonable 3.48.

This review is for the American version:

Poured a thin watery yellow with a big foamy head.

The smell was almost nothing, there was little sweetness and corn.

The taste was sweet corn like. Pretty bad.

The mouth feel was was thin and highly carbonated.

Overall all I can say is Becks has been ruined for all American drinkers. It's basically Bud in a becks can now, terrible. I think there should be separate entries for the American and German Becks as the are essentially different beers.

2.25/5  rDev -18.5%

4.35/5  rDev +57.6%

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about.

3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

3.3/5  rDev +19.6%

275ml Green bottle at 5% and imported into the UK.

Really surprised to find I’d never ’done’ this beer on the web. Becks have been importing into the UK for many, many years, one of the first German breweries to do so since WW11.

Anyway this beer looks the part: clean, clear and bright, typical Pilsner in fact. Drier than a lot of the German Pilsners and certainly well carbonated, one of my minus points about Becks is the uber fizzy nature of the brew once bottled.

A staple German Pilsner that does have a hop taste and a dry finish unlike some of its counterparts.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.
Beer rating: 2.76 out of 5 with 2,164 ratings