Beck's | Brauerei Beck & Co.

poor

Style: German Pilsener

Added by Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Ratings: 2,134 |  Reviews: 704
2.3/5  rDev -19%

As they say, "there's a tear in my beer"... I bought a 12 pack today. Not much different than hundreds of times I have bought Becks. I got home and had to do a double take. St. Louis?? The King of Beers lives there and now it has dethroned my favorite beer. After being a faithful buyer of this brand I feel betrayed by another corporate move to increase profits. Well, the profits won't come from my wallet. I still have my Becks shirt I got in Bremen 10 years ago. I might think twice about wearing it...

Since my wife is pregnant she drinks the Becks non-alcoholic (still German). I am drinking the US made (unfortunately). I held her glass to my nose and it was the familiar skunky smell I love. When I held the US version I could barely smell the same smell. So, someone tell me why a non-alcoholic version of Becks is more aromatic than a full version. You try it. You'll agree.

Becks, please return to Bremen!

1.06/5  rDev -62.7%

I have been drinking Beck's for over a decade, but when I got a recent case with the artsy new labels it tasted different, and I noticed it no longer says "IMPORTED FROM GERMANY."

So now it's brewed in St. Louis. I wonder if they'll lower the price to match the Budweiser price, since they don't pay for shipping it any more? Ha, that'll be the day!

Looks like I need to find a new beer. And look forward to my annual visit to Germany. St. Pauli Girl is still imported, I think, but the local stores are all sold out. Maybe other people noticed and switched.

1.49/5  rDev -47.5%

It's nothing like it was before Inbev got it. I registered on this site because I enjoy a clear-ish refreshing brew fairly often, and Beck's used to do that fairly often.

Now, it's Tsing-tao all the way, for me. It's not quite like (as good as? dunno, taste is relative) Beck's, but it still is a real beer and not a bunch of bubbly slop like whatever it is that Inbev did to Beck's.

Give Tsing-tao a try after you spit out Beck's. It won't be exactly what you were after, but it'll be real, and close.

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%

3.5/5  rDev +23.2%

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

The Death of Beck's Dark

It took me a little to realize what had happened; the taste changed like I had gotten a funny batch. Also I started to get a headache, digestive problems and I thought what the hell is going on? After examining the label and realizing it had changed I looked up on my iPhone and to my horror I found that this was now an Anheuser product; brewed in St Louis...

Well that it explained my negative physical reaction. I was stunned. Anheuser Busch products make me physically ill and taste poor.
I was angry that Inbev had botched this and will effectively kill this beer. I will never purchase Beck's Dark again or any "Beck's" product.

So long Beck's...a moment of silence in remembrance please.

2.75/5  rDev -3.2%

Just went for my trusty 12-pack of Becks at the store, went to the beach and cracked a bottle, lo and behold it tasted like piss.
read the funky (designer) label and discovered it was now brewed in the usa. I tried to take the beer back to the store put i had opened the 12-pack. I ended up pouring it out.

Damn you inbev

well you lost some long time becks customers My fam and i even went to the becks brewery in bremen on our way through germany.
it really sucks now STAY AWAY !!!

i doubt somebody at inbev will read this but...
at least i still got my Pilsner Urquell to fall back on.

RIP BECKS really sad...

1.16/5  rDev -59.2%

Today , May 31st , 2012 , It was hot here in the San Francisco Bay Area and I had a desire for a refreshing pilsner with a 'bite'. I just happened to be in a store where I saw Becks for $11-99 for12 bottles., and, like many reviewers, I have years of familiarity with Becks. , so I bought them , went out into my garden , poured a bottle slowly into a tall pilsner glass and prepared for pleasure.
What happened next was...nothing : no aroma , no mouth , no bitterness , no familiar German hoppy dry 'bite'....nothing .
I reflected that so many products have been compromised in today's 'greedy' corporate climate , but not the Germans !
So , out of curiosity , I went inside , looked at the label , and lo and behold : all was revealed : InBrew , St Paul MO.
And , like other reviewers recalled the Lowenbrau experience which in 1980 I ,also, shared : I became angry at the fraud and lies of misleading customers and patrons of the beer. I also feel cheated at having bought 12 bottles of chemically colored diluted 'urine' posing as beer. May Becks suffer for this !

3.75/5  rDev +32%

2.5/5  rDev -12%

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.