Beck's | Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck'sBeck's

Ratings: 2,177 |  Reviews: 718
3.25/5  rDev +17.3%

2.25/5  rDev -18.8%

4.35/5  rDev +57%

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about.

3.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.3/5  rDev +19.1%

275ml Green bottle at 5% and imported into the UK.

Really surprised to find I’d never ’done’ this beer on the web. Becks have been importing into the UK for many, many years, one of the first German breweries to do so since WW11.

Anyway this beer looks the part: clean, clear and bright, typical Pilsner in fact. Drier than a lot of the German Pilsners and certainly well carbonated, one of my minus points about Becks is the uber fizzy nature of the brew once bottled.

A staple German Pilsner that does have a hop taste and a dry finish unlike some of its counterparts.

1.75/5  rDev -36.8%

1.12/5  rDev -59.6%

Since the Beck's moved browing to the USA, it lost all the characteristics of a good beer. Now it's just another yellow water. I'll never buy it again. Shame on you, Beck's company owners.

I said it all, now I'm typing to fill the required minimum two hundred fifty characters.

1.96/5  rDev -29.2%

I am not rigidly opposed to relocating beers so long as it's done properly; the Canadian Guinness Extra really isn't bad even if it isn't quite the same, and I doubt Molson Golden is drastically the worse for being brewed in Ohio.

But Beck's is different. It was by no means the best euro lager out there but for the price it was a reliable go-to for that Euroswill taste.

Up to now, my take was whatever else one thought of ABI, at least they were undeniably competent. Not anymore. One would have thought that having decided to save a buck brewing Beck's stateside, some effort would have gone into making it actually taste like German Beck's. But they didn't even come close; I stongly doubt they bothered to try. It still says it's brewed according to the 1516 German purity law, but I don't believe it; either there's adjunct in there and they're lying through their teeth or they've somehow managed to make an all-malt beer taste like it has adjunct in it, which is almost worse. I taste-tested this against St Pauli Girl, which is still imported from the Bremen brewery, and which is very similar to the old Beck's, maybe somewhat coarser. The St Pauli blew this Beckweiser into the weeds. I didn't even bother finishing it, pouring it down the drain as an auto da fe. I bet even Michelob would kick this pseudo-Beck's keister.

My first ever beer was Beck's Dark. I haven't tried the fake version yet, not sure I want to even if they did a better job with it. ABI owns a lot of brands that are still imported but now one wonders who's next. Spaten? Lowenbrau? I never was one for avoiding a brand because it was a BMC member, but this loss cuts deep. I really will look to independent brands now thanks to this disrespectful gesture by ABI towards its customers; they think we won't know the difference; they think we're stupid.

A shameful and sorrowful loss.

1.25/5  rDev -54.9%

3.25/5  rDev +17.3%

2.8/5  rDev +1.1%

I've read a few reviews of this beer before I began this review, so I will keep it short. Becks, like St. Pauli Girl (in which I always felt was better) has now been 'Americanized'...In short, without getting into a long political rant, is just one more symptom in an ever growing problem that permeates this country. I need not be profane but I AM SICK OF ALL OF IT!! This insane 'all for the dollar attitude' has crossed all lines of morality and decency...its pathetic, and disgusting..YES, I like money like anyone else, and utterly understand its requirement for survival in today's world; but at what price??? Where do you draw the line?

American beer just SUCKS..period, ALL of it for the most with the exception of the overpriced micro breweries..who imo..are making better quality beers these days, but still grossly lack the brewing excellence that has dominated Europe, and more specifically Germany, for over 5 centuries...

This is just another example of the premise as illustrated above. This 'disease' has destroyed St Pauli, Harp, Pilsner Urquel, Guinness...etc..MOST, if not all at one time, QUALITY, highly available beer. Becks has indeed followed suit.

Future generations I'm afraid will NEVER know what a properly crafted beer should taste like...its sad.

Another one bites the dust..This is probably the worst desecration of a once quality brew. It not only tastes like urine..it gives me a headache like a typical Coors product or any other mass produced American beer. If you like German beer, DO NOT BUY THIS!! Its terrible...

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.
Beer rating: 2.77 out of 5 with 2,177 ratings