Beck's | Brauerei Beck & Co.

Brauerei Beck & Co.

Style: German Pilsener

Added by Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,188 |  Reviews: 721
1.12/5  rDev -59.6%

Having had Beck's at home for more years than I care to count, I just opened a bottle and something was very wrong. Absent was the taste of bitter and depth of flavor. Instead it's an insipid watery taste devoid of flavor. Even a bad beer has flavor, this beer is like water, without character.
What a disappointment!
Beck's in now brewed in St. Louis, should not take long for market share to slip.

1.5/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Beck's (made in Germany) WAS my favorite beer for the past decade. Two every night after work. Always my favorite with steak. NO MORE. Now made in St. Louis and tastes like typical watered down American slop. Less body and flavor, but a fizzier mouthfeel. St. Louis may be great at making arches, but leave Beck's to their German brewers and original (presumably European) ingredients. Save your money and buy Bud.

2.33/5  rDev -15.9%

This is a review of the US-Brewed Beck's, NOT that brewed in Germany.

Beck's has always been my everyday, working in the garage, doing housework in the Summer beer. Nothing special, but predictible and solid for the price.

Not any more. I picked up a 12-pack last weekend, unaware that they have begun producing the beer in the US. I opened one, poured it and immediately knew something was wrong: it poured a strange color with too much frothy head. Then I tasted it and knew there was a real problem. I honestly thought I had gotten a bad one, so I went to open another and noticed the lable.

It was just "wrong" and I knew the reason. The next day I found a 6 of the German brew and compared them and the taste difference is huge. The US product is inferior in every way.

I called the hotline and they confirmed that we will only be able to obtain the US brewed beer in the future. So much for Becks - too bad it had to go the way of Lowenbrau.

2.5/5  rDev -9.7%

2.48/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a small fizzy head and only bits of lacing.

S: Smell of grain and hint of sweetness but with a musty aroma in the background.

T: Taste of grain with a mild sweetness. Sort of a husk bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Light body, smooth crisp and quite refreshing.

Standard Euro Style lager. not much else to add.

2.5/5  rDev -9.7%

3.25/5  rDev +17.3%

1.5/5  rDev -45.8%

1.75/5  rDev -36.8%

3.5/5  rDev +26.4%

1.51/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Into a pilsener:

A: crystal clear yellow colored body with a small white head that settles quickly. The carbonation was very light and rose very slowly. There weren't any rings in the lacing and the lacing was very thin and all over the place.

S: skunky hops with some wheat and a very light breadiness in the back. It kind of reminded me of a weaker lowenbrau or warsteiner.

T: watery breadiness, wheaty/grainy and doesn't show any strength

M: extremely light, and overly sessionable

O: I've had this beer numerous times in my life time and put out some reviews and then deleted them - thinking I wasn't being fair those times. This is the fairest I can be without being overly rude. I'm starting to think this is the last chance and most likely will not ever try this again.

2.1/5  rDev -24.2%

By mistake I bought the American Becks instead of the German!
I have a lot of allergy problems with many American beers and the same happened with this Becks. My throat gets tight and my blood pressure spikes. I always think its American hops, maybe genetic modified, that cause this reaction.
I will be more careful to buy the real German Becks in the future...

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.
Beer rating: 2.77 out of 5 with 2,188 ratings