Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Beck's | Brauerei Beck & Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Germany | website

Style: German Pilsener

Added by Bierman9 on 02-18-2002

Reviews: 684 | Ratings: 2,049
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One of my favorite beers. Light but almost medium mouthfeel. Skunks smell but in a good way. Good carbonation maybe a bit much. Bitter but smooth. Very good beer

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%

i Bought it walmart in a 12 pack, was wanting something i hadnt had before. first i have to admit i am a fan of IPA and strong flavors. This does not have a strong flavor. it had good carbonation and mouthfeel, almost like a sprite. the flavor wasnt there, none, zilch. if someone gave it to me i would drink it but i wont buy it again. plain old budweiser or Miller has beer taste than this. I expected more from a German beer and now i feel betrayed , let down and disappointed.

3.16/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: crystal clear; pale yellow; less than a 1 finger white head that receded to a thin collar; light lacing;

S: light malt; no hops;

T: light and crisp; pale malt with a bit of hops in the background; light bitterness on the finish;

M: light bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: nothing great and nothing awful;

2.58/5  rDev -9.2%

Time for another lager. I am going to try to lose weight by drinking more beer and eating less. Is that plausible? I dunno. It sounds fun though!

Appearance (3.25) : Foamy white, almost artificial looking (like school glue or marshmallow creme) head. It's sitting at about 2 fingers. Body is a transparent pale straw color with lots of clarity.

Aroma (2) : I can smell it from here, the vegetal smells and rotten garbage corn. BUT, let's see what it's like up close...

Musty corn, maybe some distant barley. But mostly just musty corn.

Taste (2.75) : Marginally better than the aroma, but the first word that comes to mind is "funky". First taste is washed out corn, then some musty barley notes, and finally it ends with a semi-dry corn/faint hop taste. I really don't have much more to say.

Mouthfeel (2.75) : Stabbing carbonation with a very light creamy underbelly. Light bodied as to be expected. Ends semi-dry.

Overall (2.58) : It's not a bad beer, and it's not something I'd avoid like the plague. I just would probably never drink it again unless it was offered to me for free. It's just got this linear cornfest thing going on, with diaper and musty barley. Can't shake it.

Appearance – Very weak head is raised from this golden brew and little to no lacing to be seen.

Smell – When you crack a bottle it smells like a freshly cut field of corn, and I do mean corn, not maze!!

Taste – It has a mild taste with a mellow hint of the grains it is brewed from which hits you from the front to the back of the tongue. To my mind no other flavours are to be detected but it is an extremely pleasing pilsner.

Mouthfeel – A nicely medium bodied carbonated beer with mild linger.

Over all – I will go on record now and say I actually do like Becks. It is not great and I appreciate that, but it is a Pilsener and as such is a simple brew and it does that very well. Perfect chilled to near freezing on a scorching summer’s day! A highly drinkable number and I find it to be very refreshing. Not too strong which also makes it a good drink for a night on the tiles. If you know everyone else is going to get messy on a night out then this one will keep you in the game till only you are left standing. Mind the hangover though!

Can't really go wrong with a German Pilsener. Not great, but in a place with shitty beer selection, this stuff isn't too bad. Also not bad at German restaurants because it is light and good with food.

2.25/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- smells skunky, the green glass curse has struck again. Appearance – A golden yellow with a very small white head. Taste- skunky Palate- A medium to light bodied beer with moderate carbonation Overall- I have had this beer before when it was fresh and it tasted better, but it is not a world class beer either way.

1.5/5  rDev -47.2%

Shaker pint glass.

Clear light golden body. Fizzy white head. Random spots of watery lacing.

Smells metallic and skunky.

Tastes exactly as it smells. Sour notes, really skunky.

Overall, just a complete skunk bomb. I can't believe people prefer to drink this.

3.18/5  rDev +12%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sampling right now on 7/22/14 and it has been a long since I had a regular "Beck's", probably since Orlando but that was 4 years ago easy. Originally from Germany but now brewed in the USA by the Bud folks in St. Louis, Missouri. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a vintage 11.2 ounce (330ml) 'Beck's handled-glass stein.

Pours a straw-yellow in color with a thin white head that settles down to just along the sides of the glass. No lacing is really seen, just a bit when sipped. The aroma is not much of really, just some grains. Not 'skunky' though like so many that come in a green bottle for some reason. The taste is pretty much the same just of some grain and hops. Not bitter but just plain for the most part. Overall, it is OK but nothing special but is smooth and refreshing. Bit watered-down though.

2.9/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Decent straw golden with good head and retention.

S: Grain, malt and light hop. Kinda plain.

T: Same as the smell.

M: Smooth and refreshing. Maybe a tad watery.

O: This beer isn't as bad as many make it out to be, but not as good as I remember.

2.71/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Serving: Bottle, from the bottle
Served: 13 July 2014

Appearance: Had this one from the bottle, but the bottle is green which is never a good sign with beer, especially 'imports'. Label says it was brewed in St. Louis according to German Reinheitsgebot.

Smell: This bottle isn't skunked, so that's good. Smells otherwise of light, sweet malts, and some astringent earthiness.

Taste: You can tell this one is all-grain when you compare it to American macros, which is nice, but it doesn't make up for much. The taste is slightly fuller than a Miller Lite but has a weird funk to it that definitely isn't skunkiness and is certainly something else.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation at least makes this one refreshing.

Overall: Not a great beer, and one that I would only drink if it was free at a party.

3.87/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I agree with previous reviewers that this used to be a much, much better beer. It still isn't bad though I prefer Beck's to Heineken any day.

Appeareance is a dark-ish straw color. Not much to speak of. 1 finger head fairly persistent slight lacing. Smell used to smell great and skunky, like some good dank marijuana. Now it smells like Bud Light nonsense. Same witrh the taste, like pisswater now. I am reviewing what I used to like with those numbers, not the case I recently drank.

Well, my good sir, this thingy here tastes a little bit like bloody freaking motherfucking water. Fuck you. And fuck Beck's. And fuck this comment lenght.
This is so bloody unpolite to be called beer when it is not a beer and is more like a cat piss, Sir, pardon me, but this banana smells like a manzana.

2.3/5  rDev -19%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I used to love drinking Becks on a hot summer day. Haven't had it in a few years though. I knew something was wrong from the first sip, I thought it was just too old or something. But then I learn that it's brewed in the USA now by InBev. What a difference, and not in a good way.

There's less of that lager skunk that I used to love in this beer. More corn. Less aftertaste. It tasted stale and soulless.

Congrats Inbev, you've ruined another brand. Next I'm craving a good euro lager, I'll make a better choice. Even many American euro style lagers are insanely better. Prima Pils from Victory comes to mind.

2.11/5  rDev -25.7%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Another bottle gifted to me from the neighbors. I could've sworn I reviewed this one before, but I guess not. I can't see this one being much different than the rest of them, though. "Originated in Bremen, Germany". "Product of USA". Expectations are low.

Poured into a miniature pint glass adorned with Victorian carriages.

A - Pours a pale golden yellow with some decent clarity. Just a shade darker than some of the crappier macros out there. Conjures about three fingers of foamy bone white head with decent staying power. Not a bad looking beer, for what it is.

S - The smell is of the usual suspects - adjunct corn & grains, dusty German pilsner malts,

T - Taste follows the nose - adjunct corn / grain, dusty wheat pilsner malt, and wet cardboard. Grainy and slightly metallic on the finish.

M - The feel is crisp, grainy, papery, and watery. Light-bodied, with mildly coarse carbonation. Non-refreshing, in my opinion.

Overall, another poor everyday macro. Tastes pretty much exactly the same as the rest of them do, and even considering that fact, I would probably rather drink something like Heineken Light instead.

Beck's ---2/5.

2.58/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Back when I was a green bottle style of beer drinker, I loved this. Even when I moved away and into more craft styles, I still loved the hell out of Beck's. Now it sucks. The move to St. Louis was not good. Dunno if the recipe changed or the water's that different, but this beer is nothing like it used to be. That being said, I'm going to review it anyways.

A: Shade darker than the straw yellow macro. Vigorous carbonation. Finger of bleahced head. Rapid dissipation. Minimal lacing. Bubbles are fairly large. Carbonation is audible, but not fizzy on the level of a BMC.

S: This is where things quickly go downhill. Very muted smell. Slightly spicy hop presence. Hell, this one is so faint its not even skunky. Crackery malt, slightly salt. Maybe a bit of lemon. Again, the aromas are very muted.

T: The taste is muted, too. No spicy, herbal kick. Hell, no skunk. Just bland grainy sweetness followed by a small hit of noble hoppiness (and I mean small) and then back to the grain. Slightly metallic sweetness on the finish.

M: Easy enough. This one is fairly carbonated. Big bubbles prickle the tongue. Not quite overly seltzer, but still, lotsa bubbles.

O: Sucks. Well, not really. It's palatable. But it's obviously not the same beer that was made in Bremen. And it's a step down from that. While Beck's may was a craft phenom, I always enjoyed it. This....this lacks even the small amount of flavor that Beck's had. I'm hugely disappointed that they moved the brewery to the states. Will not buy again.

TL;DR - AB InBev sucks and I'm an idiot for buying this.

3.17/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 16 oz can into schooner glass
Appearance: 1" white head recedes quickly. Mild lacing. Pale straw color with moderate carbonation evident.
Aroma: fairly mild, some cereal grain, a bit of grassiness.
Mouthfeel: light, watery and crisp. Finish is dry.
Flavor: toasted white bread, malt sweetness, a lingering hop bitterness.

3.2/5  rDev +12.7%

Can bought from local newsagents. 500ml, 5.0% Vol.

Let me just start off by saying that I think this lager gets a lot of stick.

This lager pours a lovely golden colour, typical for a premium lager. There is quite a bit of head on this one.

The smell is fairly weak. Not as pronounced as other premium lagers.

Tastes like a premium lager. Not overpowering, but with enough flavour. Similar to Stella Artois.

I'll never forget when I went camping. We had crates of Bud and Beck's. I'd alternate between the two, and Beck's blew Bud away every time.

BUD should be slapped for ruining this one time great beer. Sorry I really cant hold back the new Becks is pure shix!

BE WARNED STAY AWAY FROM THIS STUFF as well as the Becks Dark. I see that many of the chain stores have it on sale for a while now and its not moving...

2.24/5  rDev -21.1%

Well I have to agree with the majority this beer really lost something in the transfer from Germany to STL. I really enjoyed this beer in the late 80's. The beer was robust and well worth the price at that time. The flavor just was outstanding! I felt as if I were in Germany just by drinking it! I'm trying to be nice here the color is great, it pours okay but then I have to drink it and I say to myself what happened? I hope inbev will address this situation but I understand its all about money to some people.

3.07/5  rDev +8.1%

12oz bottle (date stamp 13325 SM26) poured into a .2l polar glass.

Appearance: Clear yellow to light gold color. Thin white head with an occasional island of lacing.

Smell: Apple, light clean lager smell.

Taste: A bit sweet, with a weak crisp finish. A bare amount of noble hops at the finish that comes out a bit more as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation approaching fizzy, but not quite.

Overall/Drinkability: Like many German lagers, engineered to be drank in large quantities, and this fits that quality. I could drink more, but, I know there are more flavorful German lagers out there. Therefore this beer is at best average.

2.73/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours from the bottle like any common lager, with a sunny yellow color (with maybe a hint of green) and a white fizzy head. The aroma is a combination of musty hops, a little bit of lemon, and some light cracker-like breadiness. The flavor features sweet cereal grains, a bit of corn, and only a faint earthy hop character. There is also a little bit of a metallic flavor in the finish, which always tends to turn me off. There is some body, but the light, fizzy carbonation cuts right through it. Overall, this beer is fine and drinkable, but not appreciably different than most other common, mass-produced lagers.

2.08/5  rDev -26.8%

16 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear straw color. There's one fingers worth of white colored head. While retention isn't great, it's better than other macro lagers.

S: There's some malt sweetness, some corn sweetness, but no skunk, though! Shame there aren't any hops to cut through the malt, though. Better than Bud, at least.

T: Really, there isn't much. It's got malty sweetness, touches of creamed corn, and - most distressingly - a green apple/formaldehyde finish. Finishing bitterness is nonexistent. The flavors aren't any good, and the off notes are the final nail in the coffin.

M: Nice and light on the palate, but too sweet. Carbonation is healthy, as expected.

O: Well, it lived up to my expectations. No more, no less. Next!

2.39/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Smells skunky but isn't overwhelming. There's no noticeable hop aroma or flavor either. This is all malt not even good malt. There is no way that this qualifies as a pilsener. It's kind of pricy cor what you get. It tastes like a generic cheap euro lager.

1.68/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

on the way home grabbed a couple beck's bombers (the 24oz. bottle) and poured the first into an imperial pint (19.2oz) took a good slug, and poured the rest into the glass. the level didn't come up that much; the glass should have refilled. and it didn't taste at bit like beck's. i put it down to competing flavours in my mouth left over from dinner.

i looked at the bottle. 22oz(!!). wtf? and it didn't taste like beck's?!? hmmm. paranoia started creeping in to me thoughts.

sure enough--on the front label, instead of brewed in bremen, brewed in st. louis. fuck. another of life's simple pleasures killed by the bean counters.

Beck's from Brauerei Beck & Co.