Beck's Oktoberfest | Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's OktoberfestBeck's Oktoberfest

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2000

3.4

Reviews: 419 | Ratings: 804
2.6/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Expected more than I got from this beer. Color was right on, a beautiful pumpkin color. Light head and very little carbonation. Aroma and tastes were muddled and watered down. This was very flat feeling and tasting

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Bottle from a bodega in Manhattan.

Spot-on copper colour body of impressive vibrance. Clear and clean, with a frothy off-white cap that retains for a good 4 minutes, leaving an even layer of coating on the sides of the glass as it recedes.

Aroma is bready and malty, with a nice toastiness and mild vaguely fruity hop profile.

Texture is coating but overcarbonated, unrefreshing, and somewhat dry and coarse, dragging a bit on the palate. Medium-bodied and adequately thick - some might contend too much so for a beer in a style meant to be quaffed by the litre at beer festivals. Filling. Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, or astringent, but it does drag a bit on the palate.

Tastes bready and malty, deemphasizing hops in a manner true to style, though some mild fruitiness does make its way in. Toasty, on the sweeter side, and balanced for the most part - though its simplicity and shallowness reduce the impressiveness of that feat.

Brauerei Beck delivers a drinkable enjoyable festbier that isn't quite on point when it comes to stylistic tradition, but will please the casual drinker crowd it's aimed it. Side by side with a paragon like Ayinger, this couldn't hold a candle, but it's not a bad pick when you're after a festbier on a budget and need something widely distributed. The kind of beer I'd happily reach for in the cooler at a friend's barbecue, but it wouldn't be a regular rotator in my fridge at home.

Low C+ (3.03) / ABOVE AVERAGE

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 oz bottle in a snifter. This fest brew pours a nice red tinged
copper color with a nice head of white foam that subsides to a thick ring,
thin layer, and features light lacing. Nose of moderately heavy breaded malts,
subtle herbal hops, and moderate grain notes. Flavors follow but fall short of the
nose with light breaded malt and subtle caramel notes followed by medium grain
flavors that carry through to the finish which is lightly sweet. Medium mouth feel,
smooth, very crisp for the style, and finishing with a mineral like quality.

Becks was one of my first loves in the good brew world, this one shows me how
much my tastes have changed. That said, I can taste the standard Becks flavor in
this one and appreciate the easy session qualities of said brew....but like John Hiatt
said in a song----"We've both graduated".....Thanks for the memories Becks.....but it
is short on the scale in today's crowded market...still love ya' though back from around
1991.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured slow into dimpled seidel. Little fizz, a cluster of bubbles, little head. Dark amber.

Very bready nose, with malt.

Sweet malt taste is very faint. Hints are there, but delivery is abysmally vacant.

Mouth is fine. Whole thing's too watery.

About what I expected from mainstream importers. If you want a fall beer to keep you hydrated, here it is. A decidedly dull Marzen experience. And the color was so good...

2.97/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a beautiful copper colored body with a thin white head. Nose has classic toasted biscuit malts with some faint medicinal notes. Front end of the taste is great, classic marzen flavor but unfortunately that is quickly washed away by a tidal wave of medicinal, metallic flavors. Unfortunately that unpleasant aftertaste lingers and lingers. I could not finish this beer.

Glad I only picked up a single. Disappointing finish after a promising start.

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not bad at all, pours a clear, dark copper but with almost zero head. Great color. Aroma is malty and bready just like I enjoy. Flavor is similarly malty, though a bit thin with a slightly bitter aftertaste. A bit too carbonated for my liking making this somewhat prickly. Overall much better than expected and would drink again.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of sweet malt, pale malt, slight Euro yeast, hint of hops, and a hint of caramel malt. Fits the style of a Marzen / Oktoberfest. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, pale malt, slight Euro yeast, hint of hops, and a hint of caramel malt. Overall, slightly light struck, but otherwise a decent Euro marzen.

3.49/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was surprised by this offering from Beck's. It poured a ruddy brown with a film for a head. Smells of malt and dankness, caramel, and a bit of spice. Tastes and finishes smooth with a nice sweet to bitter roll down. Caramel and toasted bread crust. Not bad.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A pretty dark brown color for a Marzen. Little visible sight of carbonation.

Smells of dank floral hops, with some very subtle caramel sweetness.

The taste of this is quite subtle, yet intriguing. Reminds me of the flagship Beck beer which is certainly nothing to write home about, and yet surprisingly competent. Roasted caramel, sweet malts, and a moderate amount of cloves. Rock solid.

2.77/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Very Newcastle like light watery brown color that forms almost no head. Aroma hit those light brown malt and tea notes.

Taste gave the mildest walnut impression. Smooth. No hops. I don't get the price on these. There's so many better versions of this style. Regular Beck's is superior to this.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

Clear reddish copper color with small white head. Nothing outstanding, typical wheat beer with clear flavor and crispy texture. Low on flavor and taste.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Freebie from the neighbor. Gave me the usual drunken chat about how Becks is the greatest thing ever because it is " German " despite the fact it is brewed in the U.S. Becks has never impressed me. Usually a typical green bottled skunkfest. This bottle is a bit darker so we'll see how things go.

Look - Pours a moderately clear amber with a finger of soapy, slightly off white head. Bubbles pop all throughout the film. Carbonation looks to be moderate in nature and move slowly to the top of the glass. Lacing is spotty though present.

Smell - As expected it is dominated by that oh so familiar German breadynesa with a caramel background to keep thing balanced. Skunk is there in small amounts but nowhere near enough to offend the nostrils.

Taste - Skunk starts off the profile and fades to the back of the throat. Bread levels become apparent in lightly baked varieties and the caramel malt bill is true to its promise in moderation. Bit of grape juice finishes things out.

Feel - Body is moderate in thickness and moderate in carbonation levels. Swallows easy. Skunk sits for a moment.

Overall - Not too bad. Pretty true to the German versions and the skunk was toned down more than I expected. Rather short review, But there wasn't a whole lot to figure out with this one. I'm not hear to cry and bitch about how it's made in the U.S., I'm here to rate and review it for how I feel about the beer.

3.17/5  rDev -6.8%

Clear burnt orange, darker than your typical Märzen, I'd say. Fine, medium-retention off-white head. Bread and caramel aromas. All of that to the taste, but a distinct nuttiness to it. A bit boozy or estery in the back. Hoppiness is about even throughout, maybe a tad stronger in the finish due to no balance from other flavors. Medium-bodied, crisp, with fine, fizzy carbonation.

3.14/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Every fall I buy every Oktoberfest I can find - love them! So I compare this to all Oktoberfests. Smells great, feels great, but tastes like Beck's regular (that I don't like) inbetween Beck's Dark (like) with with some caramel and cinnamon. Not bad but not good.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a copper copper color with a small 1 inch head that leaves no lacing down a goblet glass.

Smell is almost non existent. I maybe get a faint smell of malts and corn.

The taste really helps this beer with a sweet malty taste then a little bit of skunky taste that is pleasant in beer. I get a small amount of hop bitterness near the end of the taste.

Mouthfeel is medium to light with good carbonation.

Overall, an average beer. I will not seek this out in the future but I dont feel it was a waste of money.

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bought a single bottle from AJ's Beer Warehouse on 10/23/14. Poured into a dimpled mug at fridge temp.

Look: medium orange amber with a 1 finger Manila head. No lacing.

Smell: mild caramel sweetness. Hard to detect any Hops.

Taste: restrained Noble Hoppiness asserts itself despite the lack of aroma. The sweet Vienna malt offers a caramel kiss. Burnt toast at the end.

Feel: Seltzer like.

overall: drinkable but minor flaws prevent me from recommending this beer.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

My neighbor, out my back door, will often put out the odd single, which is why that is always where I check first upon entering his place of business. This was one such beer, but due to inattention, I dropped it and while it did not break, it damaged the crown cap to the point of seepage. Time to drink!

From the bottle: “Beck’s Quality [:] Brewed Under the German Purity Law of 1516”.

Since it was already jounced and agitated, I simply Pop!ped the cap and began a gentle pour. This still resulted in a pseudo-cascade and two fingers of fizzy, rocky, tawny head with moderate retention. It all speaks to the idea that once the cap had been compromised, I needed to drink it. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see that I may be going back to work soon. Nose had an earthy, Noble hops smell overlaying a moderate caramel malt sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste struck an interesting balance between hoppy and malty, especially in this style. It began with an earthy Noble hoppiness, but followed it up with an equally earthy biscuit/bready maltiness. This was probably the most balanced Oktoberfest/Marzen that I can remember. Finish was semi-dry, more hoppy than malty, although not by much. What a lucky find! I could drink much more of this one, and especially if they CANned it.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

Caramel sweet upfront with spicy hop halfway through followed up with more tea-like sweetness. As the beer warms, I pick up more toasted malt and grains. Light bodied and smooth drinking.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a crystal clear copper in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation that rises quickly from the bottom of the glass and some amber highlights. The beer has a two finger tall foamy tan head that slowly reduces to a medium to large sized thick cap in the center of the glass surrounded by a medium thick layer covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of toasted malts with a light aroma of caramel sweetness. Also there are some light aromas of grassy + herbal hops.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of toasted malts with a light amount of caramel sweetness. That is followed by light flavors of grassy + herbal hops which imparts a very light amount of bitterness which does not linger for long.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Surprise, surprise...this beer does not have the aroma or flavor of skunk which is surprising considering I grabbed it as a single in a grocery store with bright fluorescent lights and it comes in a green bottle. Better than I was expecting, since I was expecting the skunkiness to be present but still not an amazing representation of the style. Easy to drink.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Sampled earlier this evening on 9/13/14 and had this once a few years back. Used to be made in Germany but now made by Budweiser in St. Louis, Missouri. 12 ounce bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a vintage 'Beck's vintage handled glass stein.

Pours a medium / darker amber in color with a thin off-white head. Really no lacing to mention. The aroma is of just some malts, nothing special really. The taste is about the same with some bread (yeast) in the mix as well. A bit 'watery' though. Lighter bodied with medium carbonation as would be excepted from a 'Bud" product. Overall, it was OK.

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is crystal clear coppery amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of skunk are present in the nose along some notes of malts.
T: The taste follows the smell, except that skunk is a little more subdued as there are light notes of biscuit and toasted malts. Faint amounts of bitterness are also perceptible.
M: It feels light-to medium-bodied and a little watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink, but the skunk aromas and flavors might be a causality of the green bottle this came in.

Drinkable? Sure.

Flavorful? Not much.

Looks nice in the glass though.

Found this one a little boring in taste, a tad watery and a metallic taste which was a tad off putting.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

I picked up a bottle of Beck's Oktoberfest last week for $1.59 at The lager Mill. Well since I've already had my first Oktoberfest of the year I thought I would go full bore and try some more Marzens that I've never had before, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a green 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty typical looking for Becks, but it does have a little bit of a fall theme to it, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a nice fairly clear amber color that took on more of a darker amber color when held to the light with just about three fingers worth of fluffy and creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was nice and true to style looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a grainy, slightly stale, lightly toasted malt, and light caramel like aromas with a light skunky aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a earthy hop aroma and light soapy aroma which could also be from the hops. This beer had decent aroma, but I wasn't a fan of the light skunky and stale malt like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up, but this time they only impart a light sweet malt, light stale malt, grainy and light toasted malt flavors with some caramel flavors seeming to stick out the most and the skunky aspect shows up a little in the background. Up next comes an apple cider like flavor that goes right into a light amount of earthy hops. On the finish there's no bitterness with just a little more sweetness taking it's a place and it had a grainy, sweet malt, light stale malt and caramel like aftertaste. This was decent tasting beer, it was fairly true to style, but I could have gone without the skunky, stale malt and apple cider like aspects.

M- Smooth, a little clean, crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, it seemed to work well with it and I found it to be true to style.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought this was a average at best example of a Oktoberfest, it was going in the right direction, but when it came to the taste and aroma there were a few off aspects that held this beer back from being on par with the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, a little clean, crisp, not filling at all, but the taste didn't the best job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, any more than that and I know I would start to get bored with it and the off aspects would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel and appearance, there were both nice and they seemed to be the aspects that were the truest to style. What I liked the least about this beer were the off flavors and aromas, this beer would be much better if it didn't have those stale grain, skunky and apple cider like aspects to it. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'm glad I gave it a chance, but it's pretty easy to find a much better traditional example of the style and I can't say I would recommend, but it might be wroth a try if your already a Becks Fan. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, I could only looks past some many off aspects till it started to wear on me and I realized that I'm just not into this beer. I've only had the regular becks and I liked it just about as much as I liked this beer so I can say how it ranks for this brewery, but it's for sure not one of the better Marzens I've had. I appreciate the effort, but this one could use a little cleaning up, better luck next time guys.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Pours a fiery copper orange with pristine clarity and a fat head of tan creamy foam that falls well and leaves a ring and spots of sticky lace. Nose is light but malty. Dry white bread crust and a bit of sweet caramel underneath. A faint breath of hop herbal o9n the nose. Taste is lighter than normal. Thinnish body that has all the requisite flavors. It’s malty, dry, crisp and has a the lightly toasty white crust of bread. The caramel is particularly soft and smooth and runs through this drink lovely. The hops impart a slight taste of herbal and a touch of bitterness to the finish. On the first sip there was a faint metallic but it fell back after my palate was indoctrinated. Finishes with an almost citric bit of juiciness before it goes back to dry bread.

Middle of the road but tasty refreshing and very easy to drink.

2.6/5  rDev -23.5%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present, just some meaningless code on the back label. A new oktoberfest style beer to me from Beck's. "Brewed under the German purity law of 1516." Uh huh.

Poured into an Oktoberfest nonic glass.

A - Pours a dark coppery sienna orange colored body with two fingers of quickly fading tan foam for a head. No real lacing to speak of. It doesn't look entirely bad, considering what it is. 3

S - The aroma is neutral, and fairly non-existent. Perhaps a touch of grainy, toast, and brown bread. Inoffensive, but nothing else really escapes the glass. 2

T - Taste follows the aroma - fairly neutral and bland. A touch of sweetened grains / malts, toasted brown bread, and a very light herbal presence. Inoffensive and drinkable, but there are no real flavors to ponder here. The toasty grains do make it more interesting than the regular cheap adjunct-ridden Beck's, but the papery cardboard flavor is still buried in there. 2.5

M - The feel is crisp, clean, and smooth. Light-bodied, and easy drinking. I would say it is refreshing, but it's not a beer I would want much of. Adequately carbonated. 3

Overall, it is what I expected it to be, a cheap bastardization of the style from a big macro lager brewer, but interesting enough to the point where you can have a few without cringing. A passable fall oktoberfest style beer, but not recommended for those of us who enjoy more depth to our beers.

Beck's Oktoberfest -----3/5.

Beck's Oktoberfest from Brauerei Beck & Co.