Beck's Sapphire | Brauerei Beck & Co.

poor

Added by peabody on 12-21-2012

Reviews: 150 | Ratings: 565
Reviews by dsreeves:

3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

I'm starting to think people on here (including the site founders) have some sort of weird anti-macro bias/agenda. The only macro that I've seen rated above good so far is Spaten Optimator. I like entering the ratings and reviews on here to keep track of the beers I've had and the ones I like or don't like, but aside from that, I'm starting to question why I'm on here so often as I apparently have nothing in common with anyone else (given my ratings compared to others).

This is a nice easy drinking German Pilsener and I like it quite a bit.

I love this beer. Smooth. Just the way I like it. LIke the man said while looking at the nude picture, "I may not know art, but I know what I like."

Beck's Sapphire brewed by Brauerei Beck & Co., with an ABV of 6.0% This brew pours out a deep golden amber color, with a small white head. The smell of Beck's Sapphire, is strong with grains and malts. You do pick up some hops. I like the strong brew smell to Beck's Sapphire. Nothing bad so far. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavors. There is a lot going on in this brew. You pick up some nice grins , malts and hit of hops at te end. Beck's Sapphire has a real nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouthfeel of Beck's Sapphire, is rich, bold and refreshing. I would drink Beck's Sapphire over Beck's. There is no bad aftertaste it is just smooth and clean. You really can't pick up on the high ABV in this brew. Overall I'm giving Beck's Sapphire a soild 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again . Brauerei Beck & Co., did a nice job with this one.

2.63/5  rDev -5.7%

I've been on this thing where after work I buy a different cheap beer that I haven't tried yet from my local corner store/gas station.
Poured from pint-sized can that does not provide "born on" date, into my frozen mug. My guess is it's about a year old. Not that it really matters. This one was $1.49 in Upstate NY.
Appearance: Golden straw color, plenty of carbonation and lacing that disappears after it's been sitting for a minute.
Smell: This one was rather mild. Pretty much smelled like a cheap, corny straw beer. Just didn't punch you in the face with that smell. I have a terrible sense of smell so you won't get any more details than that.
Taste: First taste is great until you swallow and get the aftertaste. It's the same kind of adjunct taste except it's notably smoother and more refreshing. I found that I could actually keep sipping this one without having too sour of a taste in my mouth. Pretty malty and sweet, just not bitter/hoppy in the least. If anyone could taste any sort of hop in this at all, you're either lying or deserve an award for sophisticated palate.
Feel: A little on the watery side, but the carbonation helps smooth it out. Pretty basic, but it's other qualities help this one quite a bit.
Overall: Overall I liked this one and would drink it again for the price. Definitely not something I would seek out when I have money I can spend on beer (I would MUCH prefer pretty much anything micro). Drinkable and I could go for another, but being realistic, these macro companies need to stop acting like they are something they are not. This beer was brewed in St. Louis, and it is a terrible example of a Pilsner or Lager as it is labeled to be on the can. This is closer to an American Adjunct, though it was brewed to compete with Bud Light Platinum.

3.74/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear golden color with lots of streaming bubbles and a frothy bone colored head.

Smells like a good lager with the white bread and biscuit notes. Also getting some malts off of the nose.

This had a nice malty taste with a slight finish of some background hops.

Mouth feel borders on medium with an easy finish.

Overall this is a good beer and a nice switch from the average lagers. Yet there was also nothing that really jumped out and grabbed me. So for a refreshing beer this one works. For something with a lot of depth a person may look elsewher.

2.75/5  rDev -1.4%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The label lists the abv at 6%.

Appearance: It has a tall soapy head which settles out quickly leaving not much lacing. The beer itself has a clear golden body with some visible carbonation.

Smell: There is a white bread like maltiness with light candy like notes in the background. It also has a slight hop presence.

Taste / Palate: There is not a lot going on here. It has a light white bready like malt base with a quick hint of sweetness, a slight touch of grainy alcohol and then a clean dry finish with light hop notes.

2.77/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz black bottle with no freshness date. They spent a ton of dough on getting the bottle right ... or at least that is what they are telling us. Brewed in the USA.

Great looking head, crystal clear pale yellowish golden hue. Faint cooked cereal, mineral, hint of flora hops though expected more ... a clean aroma none the less. Ample crispness, light bodied with a mild slickness. Very grainy, animal feed, hay, grass with a kiss of alcohol. Now for the hops, there is bitterness but I am really having a hard time finding the Sapphire hops ... I do detect a very vague hoppiness but nothing that wakes the palate up. Semi-clean drying finish.

If you are going to boast about a certain type of hop and even make it a part of the beer's name then you need to make sure it is actually in the beer ... a vague character of the hop does not work. Pass on this one.

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

2.75/5  rDev -1.4%

2.85/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. At fridge temp.

Pours out a very clear light golden color with a small layer of white that holds some decent retention, but no real lacing to speak of.

Mineral lager yeast with maybe a touch of sweet lagery grain.

Mineral water like lager yeast with some sweet generic grain flavor. The slightest hint of lemongrass hop, maybe im even imagining that. Actually more sweet than bitter.

Light bodied, but not watery. Carbonation about right for the style.

I thought this would atleast have some sort of hopiness seeing as its brewed exclusively with sapphire hops, but unfortunately it smells and tastes like most cheap adjunct lagers. I'll stick to prima and urqell when I'm caring a pilsner, which isn't too often.

4.88/5  rDev +74.9%

I'm very surprised by this!! I think it's more in the Euro Pale Lager catagory but their not a huge difference anyhow and I'm no expert. Very different yet cool black bottle, you can barely see through it. I'm short glasses so ill have to stick to that. Smell is pretty faint, average pilsner, nothing ou of the ordinary. The taste however really caught me off guard. It's very sweet upfront then buttery, slight breadlines, followed by more sweet. It's had a really nice creamy velvet mouthfeel I haven't experienced in a pilsner before, but I really like it, goes down real easy. I don't consider 6%abv high but it's more than average BMC's. Overall I can't wait to try this again and this is definetly something I'd keep in my fridge on a regular basis.

2.56/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle with undecipherable code rather than a clear date. Thumbs up for the nice extra dark bottle.
Pours a crystal clear golden color with a fragile and thin white head. Large bubbles rising through the beer suggest artificial carbonation. The aroma is a rather light mix of malts and hops that suggest cereal and over-cooked vegetables, The flavor is notably better than, but too much like, a light lager. Very smooth, light body with good (medium) carbonation.

O: Flaws of omission in this fairly well-crafted lager create a smooth, easy drinking beer that's lacking in both flavor and aromatics.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

2.57/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Decent medium sized white head quickly fell to a very thin lacing above a clear yellow golden colored beer.

Light light sour yeasty aroma with some very light grains blending in.

An even lighter taste than the aroma would have suggested, consisting of more very light grains and just a touch of something yeasty or maybe hopsy.

A very light dry aftertaste without much if any taste on this light bodied beer.

Not a whole lot going on that would make me want to open another one of these, kind of glad I got this one in a mixed 6 pack.

Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.