Beck's Sapphire | Brauerei Beck & Co.

poor

becksbeer.com

Style: German Pilsener

Added by peabody on 12-21-2012

3.9/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beck's Sapphire
12 oz bottle, code dated "12348 SM76"
"Product of USA. ST. LOUIS, MO"
$30.99 per case of 24/12 @ Javie's Beverage, Philadelphia, PA

Apparently brewed by Anheuseur-Busch in the United States, Beck's Sapphire is a fairly basic beer. It doesn't have the bite or bitterness of Beck's (regular), but it does have a nice bit of floral hop flavor to it.

The Sapphire hops (actually Saphir) come through clearly, but keep in mind that they're really just a derivation of the standard "noble" Hallertauer Mittelfrue hops that are so common in European beers, as well as lagers across the globe.

In the end, it's kind of sweetish and there aren't really enough hops to balance it - both in bitterness and flavor. Interestingly, it's 6% ABV, which you would think would leave it a little bit more dry-ish, but it's not. Or was that just a marketing concept for the US?... add a little alcohol and the consumer will think they're actually getting something for their money?

Not really recommended.

3.82/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Good Becks. I miss it.

3.8/5  rDev +36.7%

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A fine beer with food. Better than standard (American) Becks.

3.74/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4

3.74/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear golden color with lots of streaming bubbles and a frothy bone colored head.

Smells like a good lager with the white bread and biscuit notes. Also getting some malts off of the nose.

This had a nice malty taste with a slight finish of some background hops.

Mouth feel borders on medium with an easy finish.

Overall this is a good beer and a nice switch from the average lagers. Yet there was also nothing that really jumped out and grabbed me. So for a refreshing beer this one works. For something with a lot of depth a person may look elsewher.

3.67/5  rDev +32%

I've never been a big Beck's fan, but this one sparked my curiosity. I picked up a sixer and gave it a go. But I have to admit, my expectations were low.

I poured it down the side of the side of a pilsner glass. It has a yellow-gold look. This beer has almost no head whatsoever, and how ever much it does have dissolves a few seconds after being poured.

The scent is pretty decent, with the German hops taking center stage, but a slight grapefruit tinge can be detected as well.

The taste is fairly hoppy at first, but a tad of sweetness hits the taste buds shortly after it goes down the hatch.

It is pretty smooth actually with an excellent feel. Very drinkable.

I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a decent brew. I don't think that this beer will be a regular addition to my fridge but it may find it's way there occasionally.

3.65/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. tallboy can,

A: Pours gold with a medium soapy white head, good retention, some spotty lace.

S: Surprisingly striking, lots of floral character, tropicality - passion fruit, watermelon, some green apple, the freshness of the hops is quite appealing.

T: After the promise of the nose, it drops back to being a middle of the road German lager. Nice malt flavours with a solid hop backing, floral and earthy. Nothing too special, definitely a drinkable beer.

M: Light-bodied, crisp and smooth, with a long hoppy aftertaste (for the style), quite a bit more substantial than one would expect.

O: This is not going to blow anyones' socks off, but for a solid German lager at BMC prices, it certainly works.

3.64/5  rDev +30.9%

Had a few of these over the past few days, some ice cold then one at 45° and the taste was much more satisfying...

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure why we're still aggregating Beck's under the "Made In Germany" banner because I'm one of those who isn't really happy with the move to the USA; but I must admit I was intrigued by an attempt by A-B to provide a Beck's beverage that was a bit different--if not much different--than the green bottled pilsner. I liked the opaque black bottle (no green bottle skunk), though I was surprised at how light (roughly "gold") in color the beer was once it hit the glass. I got a decent head of white foam that dissipated quickly and left only a hint on top. I agree with many of the descriptions of the flavor here. Initial biscuity malt and a hint of citrus-like hops in the nose. The carbonation was surprisingly light and "spritzy" while the beer itself was light to moderate in density. This made for a strangely mixed yet somewhat refreshing mouthfeel. A tad sweet on the tongue with a mild malty flavor and a hint of that citrusy hops. Flavor profile is one-dimensional and mild. Little bitterness at the end and then nothing. And I mean that in a good way. No off flavors, no skunk--nothing. Clean finish that makes you smack your lips and say, "gee, I could put a few of these down." And I did. Bottom line: Unique packaging and very drinkable. Definitely something I'd keep in my fridge from time-to-time.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another brew in the 6% ABV category, tried again at this dimly lit establishment, as you should check out my review on its nearest competitor, Bud BC.

I'm going to make this really brief and understandable - this beer tastes like Evian water with a slight hint of effervescence, as this brew lacks carbonation big time. Despite this characteristic flaw, I did enjoy the beer with Shrimps cocktail. A worthy one-time try (at least) - it is slightly better than Bud BC. Bon appetit!

3.59/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I liked this beer. A friend gave it to me at a card game. I took it a bit hesitantly because of the word "Hops" in its name. I expected too hoppy a flavor. In reality it had very little hops that I noticed. It was smooth and easy drinking.

I liked it much more than regular Becks.

3.58/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Wow a brown bottle! Hope it's skunk free
A - Clear bright yellow with a mild orange tint. Head is just a 1/4 inch of head that sticks around for a while.
S - Has the typical lager corn and sweet malts. Not very skunky yet not very strong.
T - Corn sweetness with a touch of lager yeast, some biscuit malt is surprising and some sweeter malts too.
M - Light to medium not bad.
Overall I never really liked Beck's but this one is as advertised, smooth and somewhat hoppy (I guess)

3.52/5  rDev +26.6%

Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.