Beck's Sapphire | Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

2.77/5
Alströms:

3.51/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. tallboy into a pilsner glass.

A - Pours a crystal clear golden amber color. To be honest I wasn't even sure what style of beer this was going to be but the color is thankfully a few shades darker than the straw yellow I was imagining it would pour. Two fingers of soapy bone white foam. Rising carbonation.

S - Lots of cereal grain sweetness with a touch of grass. Pleasantly neutral.

T - That cereal corn sweetness with a bit of bready malts and some grass and light floral elements. A tame but lasting corn like flavor that I usually associate with adjunct lagers. Very clean and a bit bland but very drinkable and dare I say, tasty?

M - Light, crisp, and refreshing.

O - Far from being a great pilsner, but the reviews do seem a bit biased against Becks. I actually wound up enjoying this beer and would not mind downing a sixer of these on a summer day.

3.5/5  rDev +26.4%

I'm starting to think people on here (including the site founders) have some sort of weird anti-macro bias/agenda. The only macro that I've seen rated above good so far is Spaten Optimator. I like entering the ratings and reviews on here to keep track of the beers I've had and the ones I like or don't like, but aside from that, I'm starting to question why I'm on here so often as I apparently have nothing in common with anyone else (given my ratings compared to others).

This is a nice easy drinking German Pilsener and I like it quite a bit.

3.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Beck's Sapphire (2014) - 6% ABV. Pours with a thick head that dissipates to decent lacing. Red amber hue. Decent carbonation. Light mouthfeel. Wet. Very malty and sweet on the front palate. More of an Oktoberfest or Markzen style beer. Lots of barley, bread, and wheat. Smooth syrup sugar-- caramel. Mid-palate there is just a quick hint of hops. A slight alcohol bite. Rolls back to malt, syrup, and wheat. Slight alcohol and maple syrup after taste. Very light taste. Drinkable. Hiding in its ABV. Extremely smooth. I think the problem is that you expect more from the Sapphire hops as you should-- it's a good German beer, but if you're looking for bite you will be disappointed. It is a good beer-- but it isn't hoppy. It's malt and creamy. Had they labeled it Marzen it would be more well received, but it is what it is as they say. 3.5. Good.

3.48/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thin white head. Typical yellow appearance. Shows decent carbonation. Very light aroma. Slight hint of corn with even less malt. The flavor is a bit dull for the style, and reminds me of an ice beer. Also, it has a slightly sour finish. It has a decent mouthfeel. Not too watery. Semi-dry finish. Overall, This is an OK beer. Nothing special. If I'm correct in assuming the date on the bottle indicates it has been over a year since this beer was bottled, then this may be one reason I found this beer to be so-so.

12 oz bottle
Code on Bottle: 14059
Served in a Pilsner glass

Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.
Beer rating: 6.8% out of 100 with 573 ratings