Beck's Sapphire | Brauerei Beck & Co.

poor

Added by peabody on 12-21-2012

2.87/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.81/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a glass out of the bottle.

Look: Golden, with maybe half a finger of foam, which dissipated quickly.

Smell: Sweet and malty, but also very boozy.

Taste: Boozy and sweet. I tried to detect other flavors, but they were overwhelmed by the booziness.

Feel: The mouth-feel is rather watery.

Overall impression: This doesn't quite live up to what a German Pilsener should be - no head, no zest, etc. Unfortunately, it's marketed as a German beer despite being brewed in St. Louis, Missouri. The nail in the coffin for me was how boozy it tasted. It made the beer seem a little cheap. I think that if it hadn't been as boozy, the other tastes, if they exist, would have been more apparent if the ABV were lower. The Sapphire hops have potential, but it hasn't been utilized properly.

2.77/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From the bottle in a pint glass. This brew pours a bright yellow with a quickly dissipating head of white foam that settles to a razor thin ring and little lacing. Nose of sweet malts and some moderately strong grains. Flavors Follow the nose with sweet malts and a grain notes on all sides. No hops detected in the brew, just sweetness and a lingering sweetness at that. Very smooth and subtly crisp, but has a watery mouth feel and finishes thin.

I cut my teeth on Becks and Becks dark a LONG time ago, this one is like Becks trying to imitate the Russian style of brewing and missing the mark substantially. Rather disappointing.

2.49/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from my 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle into a tulip glass.

I like the can, but a can /bottle does not maketh the brew . . .

The nose is airy, light flower almost like freshly laundered linen put out to dry in a green field (like Downy fabric softener). Thick foamy head, nice dark golden hue. It has a thin feel in the mouth a cross somewhere between high-octane spirit like moonshne or Everclear; seltzer, and day-old tea. The taste of hops is there but it's been diluted by the characters above. Make no mistake: It's not a good brew at all, but I don't think it's as bad as some of the reviewers had made this out to be. But if you want to go good and cheap for your beer: Pass on this one: You can do better. Otherwise, only if you must.

2.22/5  rDev -20.1%

The look is regular, just a yellowish liquid. Not much to say.

The smell is good, usual beer scent and a bit sweet.

The only redeeming feature of the taste is a very brief pretzel flavour. Otherwise it sort of just tastes like glue or something. . .

The feel is awful. I never thought I'd ever describe a beer as slimy, but it applies here.

Overall: awful awful awful. This beer has no purpose in life. It should just be discontinued.

2.63/5  rDev -5.4%

I've been on this thing where after work I buy a different cheap beer that I haven't tried yet from my local corner store/gas station.
Poured from pint-sized can that does not provide "born on" date, into my frozen mug. My guess is it's about a year old. Not that it really matters. This one was $1.49 in Upstate NY.
Appearance: Golden straw color, plenty of carbonation and lacing that disappears after it's been sitting for a minute.
Smell: This one was rather mild. Pretty much smelled like a cheap, corny straw beer. Just didn't punch you in the face with that smell. I have a terrible sense of smell so you won't get any more details than that.
Taste: First taste is great until you swallow and get the aftertaste. It's the same kind of adjunct taste except it's notably smoother and more refreshing. I found that I could actually keep sipping this one without having too sour of a taste in my mouth. Pretty malty and sweet, just not bitter/hoppy in the least. If anyone could taste any sort of hop in this at all, you're either lying or deserve an award for sophisticated palate.
Feel: A little on the watery side, but the carbonation helps smooth it out. Pretty basic, but it's other qualities help this one quite a bit.
Overall: Overall I liked this one and would drink it again for the price. Definitely not something I would seek out when I have money I can spend on beer (I would MUCH prefer pretty much anything micro). Drinkable and I could go for another, but being realistic, these macro companies need to stop acting like they are something they are not. This beer was brewed in St. Louis, and it is a terrible example of a Pilsner or Lager as it is labeled to be on the can. This is closer to an American Adjunct, though it was brewed to compete with Bud Light Platinum.

2.88/5  rDev +3.6%

Drank from can.

Smelled slightly metallic with corn and malt and herbal earth.

Taste is corn, metallic notes, malt and bitter herb in The finish. This is not a bad beer, it is alright. It is, however, a very poor example of a Pilsner.

1.87/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Tonights palate washer.

Not much to say. Guys, this stuff is brewed in St.Louis, not Germany. Just because it says German beer doesn't make it good.

Becks version of BL Platinum and a skunky one at that.

Hipster area only.

1.96/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This is a terrible beer. I had hoped that this German Macro could pull off a nice brew with this "Sapphire", I was wrong. Had a heavy skunky presence. avoid

1.7/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Clear golden yellow, maybe just a shade towards orange. Very pale yellow, fine, medium retention head. Esters on the nose, not much else indicating perhaps that it is past its expiration date. Can't find a bottling date. Some of the same on the palate, unfortunately (meaning this review won't be fair or accurate to the beer when fresh...something I will hopefully be able to make amends for soon). Still drinkable in my opinion (but I'm highly tolerant), just too sugary and fruity (lemons, apple or pear). Just barely hoppy in the finish. Light in body. Seems watery before bubbles clear out, but afterwards a bit syrupy. Low to medium, fine, somewhat prickly carbonation. Not too dry, but a little warming. All in all, more like a malt liquor than a German Pilsner, but again, this is probably due to how old it is. Hope they bring it back so I can do it justice.

2.5/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.35/5  rDev -15.5%

1.75/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

It taste like beck's, and thats the promblem

3.25/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.82/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Good Becks. I miss it.

3.09/5  rDev +11.2%

3.28/5  rDev +18%

2.4/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

16 oz can after an afternoon of painting.
Looks innocent enough, pale yellow with a decent head. Thin watery mouthfeel, grainy corn and hints of metal. Even for a macro this isn't that good.

2.88/5  rDev +3.6%

2.91/5  rDev +4.7%

3.41/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Good flavor but a little on the harsh side

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

I'm starting to think people on here (including the site founders) have some sort of weird anti-macro bias/agenda. The only macro that I've seen rated above good so far is Spaten Optimator. I like entering the ratings and reviews on here to keep track of the beers I've had and the ones I like or don't like, but aside from that, I'm starting to question why I'm on here so often as I apparently have nothing in common with anyone else (given my ratings compared to others).

This is a nice easy drinking German Pilsener and I like it quite a bit.

2.74/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.