Beck's Sapphire | Brauerei Beck & Co.

Beck's SapphireBeck's Sapphire

becksbeer.com

Style: German Pilsener

Added by peabody on 12-21-2012

4.26/5  rDev +53.8%

Becks Sapphire beer is amazing leaves me calm and collect. Love it a lot!!!!

2.59/5  rDev -6.5%

4.76/5  rDev +71.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +67.9%

This beer is better at room temperature, or slightly warmer. The first couple of sips bite back, then it is as smooth as any other. I have a hard time finding it, but get it every time I do find it.

2.49/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.38/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev +0.4%

Pours a clear & effervescent gold producing 1.5 fingers of rapidly diminishing, fizzy, champagne-like, shimmering white head that leaves no lace. Aroma is grainy pale malt, butter, perfumey floral & faintly grassy hops. Taste is sweet, bready grain, white fruits (pear & white grape?), butter & dry from the beginning of the sip to the bittersweet aftertaste. Pale malt, fruit & butter run the length of the sip. Hops are weak floral/herbal, spice & thin grass & citrus most of which are in the latter third of the sip and finish (not very Noble like, which my reading tells me 2 of the Saphir hop parental lines were). Alcohol in the mouth is quite prominent for a 6% ABV. Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with medium carbonation, although a bit thin it exhibits a slick quality while at the same time is a little crisp, begins smooth but rapidly gravitates toward being grainy, even prickly on the tongue. Not much balance in the mouth or nose. Reminds me more of some English pale ales I've had more than any German pilsner sampled to date. I have a feeling that the bottle I sampled may have suffered from slight oxidation.

1.78/5  rDev -35.7%

Pours a golden colors with head that fades quickly, there is little lacing left on the glass. Like other have said the is a strong booziness in the finish. This is not a well crafted beer.

3.34/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.47/5  rDev +61.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I Love this Beer!!!! I tried it over the weekend In Chicago, IL and it was love @ first taste. For all the crappy reviews I'm reading, I couldn't tell it was disliked in Chi Town. We had to go from store to store to find it . Finlly found it and the store only had two cases so I bought them back to Detroit, MI.....Wish they sold it in my neighborhood .....I enjoyed the look, the taste was smooth without and after taste and the smell was not loud at all. Maybe this beer was made for the LADIES.....

2.71/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

One of my least favorite beers. Looks were deceiving with this brew. Golden, clear with bubbly head. Dissappears completely as does lacing. Warning signs! Smells of booze and malt. I had to strain searching to find the hops but to no avail. Booze overwhelmed the flavor of this medium-bodied, GMO-suggesting monstrosity. This was a lab experiment gone wrong. Finished boozey and sweet...yuck!

3.74/5  rDev +35%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4

2.94/5  rDev +6.1%

2.54/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I was really surprised by the taste of this beer. I am not one for most german beers with musky flavors. This one to me didnt have any musk and is much stronger than Becks.

2.87/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

1.06/5  rDev -61.7%

This is an awful beer, and an embarrassment to Germans everywhere. I did not meet a single person willing to take more than one sip from a bottle of this, this is one of the only beers I've literally had to dump out rather than man up and drink. I have never brewed with Sapphire hops, and now I probably never will. I don't even know that the hops are the problem, it's just absolutely terrible.

2.22/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.09/5  rDev +11.6%

2.44/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.74/5  rDev +35%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear golden color with lots of streaming bubbles and a frothy bone colored head.

Smells like a good lager with the white bread and biscuit notes. Also getting some malts off of the nose.

This had a nice malty taste with a slight finish of some background hops.

Mouth feel borders on medium with an easy finish.

Overall this is a good beer and a nice switch from the average lagers. Yet there was also nothing that really jumped out and grabbed me. So for a refreshing beer this one works. For something with a lot of depth a person may look elsewher.

4.55/5  rDev +64.3%

2.38/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

1.42/5  rDev -48.7%

A very disappointing "German" pilsner. Sapphire hops? I barely taste any hoppiness at all. There was a time when Beck's would've been ashamed to have their name associated with this weak, flavorless, overly boozy and watery pilsner. The color is nice and that's about it. Our local store reduced the price for a 12 pk from 11.99 to 9.99. There are far better tasting choices near this price range. Avoid.

Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.