Beck's Sapphire | Brauerei Beck & Co.

poor

becksbeer.com

Style: German Pilsener

Added by peabody on 12-21-2012

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

I'm starting to think people on here (including the site founders) have some sort of weird anti-macro bias/agenda. The only macro that I've seen rated above good so far is Spaten Optimator. I like entering the ratings and reviews on here to keep track of the beers I've had and the ones I like or don't like, but aside from that, I'm starting to question why I'm on here so often as I apparently have nothing in common with anyone else (given my ratings compared to others).

This is a nice easy drinking German Pilsener and I like it quite a bit.

2.74/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.36/5  rDev -15.1%

Deep gold(6) with white head. No aroma and skunky flower flavor. Hard to finish...

2.87/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.1/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.48/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thin white head. Typical yellow appearance. Shows decent carbonation. Very light aroma. Slight hint of corn with even less malt. The flavor is a bit dull for the style, and reminds me of an ice beer. Also, it has a slightly sour finish. It has a decent mouthfeel. Not too watery. Semi-dry finish. Overall, This is an OK beer. Nothing special. If I'm correct in assuming the date on the bottle indicates it has been over a year since this beer was bottled, then this may be one reason I found this beer to be so-so.

12 oz bottle
Code on Bottle: 14059
Served in a Pilsner glass

2.79/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.86/5  rDev +2.9%

I love this beer. Smooth. Just the way I like it. LIke the man said while looking at the nude picture, "I may not know art, but I know what I like."

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a hazy yellow with a very fizzy head that trails the glass. The smell was mostly alcohol with a bit of rice on the back end. The taste wasn't as strong as I was expecting with some rice up front and then a bit of hops on the end but nothing too overwhelming. The feel of it was very thin for the alcohol content. Wasn't very impressed.

2.77/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.94/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.44/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer do goo, inside and outside!

3.41/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.83/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.72/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Serving: From the bottle
Served: Thanksgiving at the relative's house

Look: I had this one from the bottle, so I can't comment much on the look of the beer itself. The bottle, however, is brown (nice!) with a sleek black label. Kudos for switching to brown bottles for this beer, Anheuser-Busch!

Smell: Faint grainy earthiness, skunk, and slight spicy notes.

Taste: Are there hops in this? The taste is just about what you'd expect- primarily "beery" with strange earthy astringencies. There is just a barely perceptible hop bitterness if you really think about it, and just a barely perceptible spicy twang to the beer. But as I said- barely perceptible. Better than the regular Becks because of the bottle, which cuts down on the skunkiness.

Mouthfeel: Light body with high carbonation. Quaffable.

Overall: Another poor offering from a poor brewer. I had this one to get the tick and the bottle cap, but moved quickly to Spotted Cow at my family's Thanksgiving party. Don't waste your time with this beer.

3.64/5  rDev +30.9%

Had a few of these over the past few days, some ice cold then one at 45° and the taste was much more satisfying...

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A fine beer with food. Better than standard (American) Becks.

2.92/5  rDev +5%

3.25/5  rDev +16.9%

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Beck's Sapphire from Brauerei Beck & Co.