Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 267 | Ratings: 765

I know this site is full of elitists and beer snobs but Hamm's is without a doubt the best session beer available ever. Great taste and great value. Get off your high horse and give credit where credit is due because Hamm's is truly deserving. I just wish it was easier to find In New England.

appearance has a yellow and gold look with moderate amount of carbonation. Hams smells like your typical american adjunct lager grainy and cook vegetables. Taste is grainy and smooth. It is very easy drinking beer . Mouthfeel is light but not watery . Overall hams I the top tasting cheap american lagers on market and cam compete with other lagers wich are priced higher .

Hamm's beer, what can I say. It is probably the greatest beer to ever touch the fresh soiled grounds of America.

Hamm's was built on the backs of our grand fathers great grandfathers. Steel Mills, Furnace Blasts, Coal Mines and Lumberjacking.

Appearance: Very nice can style. Pompadour Classic. A golden brown shade of carbonated perfection.

Smell: Smells like really good beer with a hint of Americana. It smells like hops freshly picked out of a hop orchard in the Northeast. A hint of malt and barley also touches the back of the nose palet.

Taste: American perfection. Goes down ultra smooth whether warm or cold. Tastes similar to ChiMay and Hoptimus Prime.

Smell: Like the blood, sweat and tears of our forefathers.

Mouthfeel: please...

Overal: The best beer out right now in my opinion. You can buy a case and treat your friends and not have it kill your wallet.

Check out the video review after the jump:

Hamm's Beer -- $5.99 for a twelve-pack at my local beverage emporium, so I couldn't pass it up.

Appearance: Vintage can with the blue, white and gold design, and red Hamm's logo. Beautiful. I drank it out of the can, so I didn't examine the color, head, and lacing. Like it really matters, anyway.

Smell: Smells good. Pure clean beer aroma, no problems at all.

Taste: Damn good. It's crisp and light, with an extremely light touch of hops. Incredibly unique and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated and fizzy. It gives a tongue-tingling sensation equal to Miller High Life.

Drinkability: Hamm's tastes good enough to savor in small amounts, or to guzzle as a session beer. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Overall: Highly recommended.

it tastes like a full beer not any of the light beers have a full body. I think it has something to do with the fact that it was on tap and not from a can. It is quite hoppy and has lots of bitterness to it followed by a small sweet spot right at the end.

Searched for Hamms for years and finally found it. $13 for a dirty 30. I thought what could it hurt. Pours a golden beer with a nice head. Smoother than bud light and miller. This is the beer they drink in Valhalla. Be careful. They go down so smooth ice cold that I got down 15 before I knew it

4.83/5  rDev +71.9%

RobertDBase- Love your review. :-) I personally am a High Life fan because of the fresh bread aspect you were talking about. I have a few High Lifes and i start to get a headache sometimes. It happens with a lot of cheap beer or liquor. Hamm's Never gave me a cheap buzz headache. And its flavor was even better than High Life. I love it. 12 pack is like under $10 and only one liquor store in my town has it.

In a perfect world, everybody's drinking Hamm's. -Guttermouth

4.78/5  rDev +70.1%

I did a double blind taste test of ten American beers. First thing I learned was I really liked having ten beers! I also found PBR my first favorite, and Hamm's was my second best friend. Grain Belt, MHL and Schlizt rounded out my top five. At a bar? I am lucky if they even have PBR, as Budweidser is all that most local bars have on tap if not all flavored or light beers. A 24 pack of Papsts and a 30 pack of hamm's both cost the same, $14.99 so the Hamm's is like a free six pack! I used to order Bud all the time, and my test showed I had been buying advertising, as it was #10, just beating Coors. 6 thru 8 were Old Milwaukke, Rolling Stone, and Natural. I do not drink beer flavored water, so none of the taste tests were light. I drink right from the can or bottle color is a non-issue. The taste of Hamm's is smooth and actually has some scent and flavor. I am 64 and until three years ago, I had smoked for 44 years so my senses of smell and taste may differe from more pure citizens or non veterans

4.54/5  rDev +61.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Contrary to the righteousness held by so many beer snobs, there is no perfect beer out there. And really, what IS with many a beer so bitter that a glass of vinegar is like a soft drink by comparison, but I digress... For my money a beer should be refreshing and cold.
Straight up, Hamm's more than delivers on that... As ever, a clean tasting, non bitter, refreshing beer either by itself or with food. I challenge any beer "expert"/aficionado to put any of their gilt edge - trendoid beers up against Hamm's (or a few other "low rent" - pedestrian) beers in a blind sampling and they'll get a dose of reality. Some of these "lesser" beers, Hamm's most certainly being one, more than deliver the goods and do not drain your wallet.

Thanx "Hamm's"

4.51/5  rDev +60.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hamm's the best inexpensive Beer on the market. Recently had Coors lite and compared it to Hamm's premium...not even close Hamm's won out..Coors lite was like watered down beer.

4.46/5  rDev +58.7%

On the most enjoyable bottled beers you can buy. Is it that good? Absolutely, as long as [1] you drink it as fresh as possible (ideally within the first month of delivery from the brew house, or at least months or more out from the expiration date); [2] you're not a piffy, nose-in-air snob.

I don't care about "grassy" this or that. The only question for is whether it tastes great. And, it does. The flavor is distinctive, balanced, and enjoyable. Again, as long as it's fresh, you'll get a really crisp, slightly grain-dominated start, which develops into a fresh, yeastier finish. Delightful. Hops are present in a correct ratio; this isn't some insanely over-hopped, liquid black dirt microbrew. Medium to lighter bodied, it's just the thing for the summer. It doesn't weigh you down, but it's immensely satisfying.

4.41/5  rDev +56.9%

If your looking for a medium bodied beer with great taste and unbeatable cost, then Hamm's is your beer. They have stayed true to their labeling as well as their flavor for years. I do like some micro's and I absolutely love Guinness, but I hate that folks are so proud of them. I can by 30 Hamm's or less then 1/2 case of a micro. I'll take Hamm's, thank you very much.

4.3/5  rDev +53%

At $10.99/30 pack, it's definitely best beer for your money. I live around a lot of beer snobs who only drink micros but I honestly think this tastes better. Real smooth taste either ice cold or warm. Not too much of a head. Not too bitter. Not too sweet. Perfect beer. Smell that brings back memories of old of my old man n his friends playing horseshoes. Perfect beer for those people who wanna drink a beer while hanging out in garage with neighbors or playing horseshoes with neighbors. Isn't that what drinking beer is supposed to be about? Top grade homeowners beer. Can drink a quality beer and still afford your mortgage.

4.25/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours that typical crystal clear golden color we all are (or should be) familiar with. A good looking adjunct lager with a fluffy head. More aroma than your standard adjunct lager with a nice herbal/grassy hop hint. Flavor is also more pronounced than most adjunct lagers; cooked corn and rice but this has a bit more malted barley sweetness and finishes with a hint of bitterness. Dry finish. This is easily one of the better adjunct lagers I have had the pleasure of trying. This beer dispels the theory that all of Pabst's retro brands (Olympia, rainier, stroh's, etc) are all the same beer with different labels. Scored according to style, this is one to get if you are looking for a cheap, refreshing beer.

4.2/5  rDev +49.5%

Great Macro swill, for the price its got all you could expect and more. My favorite style is American Classic Macro and this is one of the best along side Schmidts, Oly, and the new Schlitz. Hamms served at 32 degrees is as good as it gets for drinkability.

4.17/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a beer drinker's beer. A great no nonsense beer that is the perfect beverage in a pinch. Instead of drinking all those "lite" beers, go with this one. This is the Ron Swanson of cheap beers.

4.15/5  rDev +47.7%

All things considered, Hamm's is a great value adjunct lager coming in at $13.99 for a 30 rack. It's a great working man's beer. I am definitely biased, but Hamm's hits the spot!

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Ok so its not the most popular brand. Its very possible to grab a six pack that has been sitting on a store shelf too long, be warned beer lovers. That said, American dopes enjoy coors and Budweiser, the same guys also probably voted for lil donny dump so there you go! If you want to waste your money I wont stand in your way... Hamm's is #1 for taste and VALUE! I enjoy many micro brews but Hamm's is my go to beer to hit the trail on my dirtbike or hang with the boys! Great beer, great buzz. Coors fans choke yourself

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%

Never even heard about hamm's til I went to a really cheap bar by my house with one of my friends...he told me I had to get it

The bar was sooo cheap that u could get a pint of hamm's for $.99, a 36 oz mug for $2.75, or a pitcher for $4.00, I can't pass that up.

A - It looks a little darker to me than most American Lagers, extra points for that, typical white head that disappears quick

S - It smells like a regular American Lager, not that strong, but there. somewhat sweet, but nothing really popping out.

T - It tastes different for the style, real different, I swear I can almost tastes a hint of ham, or cheese, cuz its brewed in wisconsin...but seriously, a very good and distinctive taste that sets it apart from the rest.

M - Real clean and smooth going down, not bad at all, normal on the carbonation

O - Just a real good and cheap beer, i highly recommend it, I just don't know where u would find this, I haven't heard of this until a few weeks ago....u will probably never find something that tastes like this.

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hadn't seen a can of Hamm's since my two tours to Korea, 76-77 and 79-82. I could usually be spotted with a case over my shoulder a couple of times a week boarding the kimchi bus for home downtown in the ville. Anything was better than the local Crown or OB. I think I paid about $5 a case back then. Imagine my surprise when I spotted a case in the beer cooler at Walmart today, in, of all places, Thomaston, Maine! I gotta buy me one of these! Ended up paying around $13 bucks, inflation I guess.
Got home and cracked open a can, pouring it into a pilsner glass. Looks good, has a head even. Cautiously I take a sip, taking myself back to my humble abode down the road from the rubber glove factory, with fish drying racks on the hill behind and across the road from a rice paddy (can't say I miss those combined smells ! ). Damn this is pretty good beer! Better than I remember. Taste, smoothness and drinkability easily beats most American AAL's.

4.04/5  rDev +43.8%

(I'm rating this with the style and price in mind, so the high rating is relative)

This is on par with PBR as the best AAL I've ever had. Super cheap and highly drinkable, this is a great beer to add some diversity to the fridge without spending too much. A really solid brew overall. Beats Budweiser, MGD and Coors any day.

Pours from the can pale bright golden yellow with a nice 1/2 inch creamy snow white head which stays awhile.
Smells of Corn grass and citrus.
Taste of sweet corn with a nice small hit of Hops and citrus flavor and alcohol. Very Mild would be a great lawn mowing beer for sure when it is hot as it has been this summer here in the northest.
It is highly refreshing and smooth in your mouth, a nice version of an old time favorite when I was young. Many thanks to my friend Ray who traveled out to Wis for vacation for getting me a 30 pack of it, been wanting to try the new suff for awhile now. A nice price also $11.00. A nice old time Union made very drinkable beer. Or as we Say it is Old School.

If we had it in pa I would get some offten for a nice beer to kick down a few! For me way more flavorful then Miller, Coors or Bud anytime!
COME ON Miller / Coors bring it back to Pa was a real big seller in the Old days here. And I think the way retro beers are selling around here in Pa would sell great again. A typical old time real working mans American Beer. Drinking it I could imagin the Hamms Beer Bear dancing in the old time ads. From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters Hamms The Beer refreshing!! Update Hamm's is back in Pa in 2012 just bought a 30 pack at Epps in Limerick. This will be my hot weather drink a bunch beer from now on. Thanks to Miller / Coors for bringing it back.Hamms is very old school in falvor and refreshment for it's type.

3.96/5  rDev +40.9%

Poured a 12oz can into my Newcastle pint glass. Pours a yellow straw with just a slight carbonation. Aroma is mostly corn, with a slight sweetness. Not much more. It's really straight forward. This beer tells you exactly what it is in its aroma. The taste is just the same, no exception. Mouthfeel is light with just a slight carbonation. This is one of the better Retro's. It's a really great Lawn Mower beer.

3.94/5  rDev +40.2%

look...I love craft beer but I'm sick of every microbrewery trying to do a pale ale, an IPA, a stout, and a Hefeweizen. Some branch out to triples or quads but they all run together. I still love my craft beer but on most nights, I just want a few freaking beers that I don't have to think about or pay a lot for. Hamms is probably the best of the bunch. I pay $12 for a 30 pack. Bud or Miller Lite would be twice that. I love livin' the high life but its $8 for a 12 pack of bottles in my area so Hamms is a great alternative. Good tasting, old fashioned beer, cheap, and refreshing. Besides that the can has a definite old-school ambiance.

Drink some and enjoy.

3.88/5  rDev +38.1%

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow, nice looking soapy white head has left a decent lacing capping the beer. Beer is icy cold and frosted the glass a bit.

Smell: Some musty grains, cooked rice, a little grassy hops, actually balanced and refreshing.

Taste: Very light bready sweetness, a little lemony citrus, hops are very faint but balance, the beer becomes biscuity in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp rolling carbonation, body is light but not as watery as some competitors, very drinkable.

Drinkability: This was surprisingly balanced and refreshing, stays looking good, superior mouthfeel to other AML.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.