Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 272 | Ratings: 771
2.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Look: What's to say? Definitely not gatorade lemon yellow, so that's above par for the style in my book. Color is still a very pale gold or straw, however. Fizzy head that dissipates quickly. *some* lacing. I've seen worse.
Smell: smell? what smell? maybe some slight corn and metallic wafting on the nose.
taste:less is more for a lot of these AAL macrobrews, and this you could say has a lot less. Very fleeting suggestion of hops (It's worth noting that it's one of the only Miller-Coors brands that use "real" hops instead of extracts), but definitely not as hoppy as PBR. However, it has less of the dextriny sweetness that PBR has as well, and none of the huge cooked corn/vegetable flavors you might get from other macros. But there's no real malt character to replace it. Overall, very inoffensive but forgettable.
Feel:Light bodied with moderate carbonation, almost like water. Definitely a lot less fizzy than others I've had.
Overall: Taking into account the cheap AAL styles and the mass-market offerings I've had, this is about my 3rd or 4th choice in this category. Not bad, not great.

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%

One of tens of brands which were widespread in the 1950s, but has nearly dissapeared from the scene. I think its time is due. Part of a 12 pack which I bought at BevMo for $7.99, on to the beer:

Light orange/golden color, topped with a soapy head, slowly dissolving to a thin lace and a few dotsof lace. It's usual American lager in the nose. It's steeley, has some grain sweetness, and a touch of boiled corn.

Its taste is noticably smoother than its aroma. There seems to be a decent amount of malt in this adjunct lager, which was unexpected. Somewhat sweet, not overly cloying. Steeley character is minor. A whisper of hops make their way in and out. The body is light, provides some crispness, and is rather easy to drink without being very offensive.

In conmparison to the more mainstream lagers, Hamm's looks pretty good. Better and cheaper, a double win. Just don't confuse this with a Sam Adams.

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Yep if it was any lighter it would in fact be water but it looks like a pee. Foam is also as expected with a pretty decent lace ring.

S - Corn, corn, corn.

T - Well it does have a musky hop bite and it's not terribly skunked in flavor. Enjoyable in a Rolling Rock Sort of way. Ow yeah CORN!

M - Has a light body that one could session the hell out of.

Overall not something I would seek out might pick this up since it's around 15 bucks for a 30 pack.

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance : A pale pear juice colored body with large fluffy foam pouring at 3 fingers. In this nonic pint glass, the head leaves lacing all the way down in flecks and specks, and eventually recedes to a finger after a few minutes. An impressive pour for a mass-produced lager.

Smell : I'm getting a lot of sweetness on the nose...sweet cereal, honey...pretty similar to Cheerios. Behind that some grass surfaces and a slight bit of straw or hay.

Taste : This drinks a bit like a poor-man's Pilsner, it reminds me of Miller Lite. The chalky bite is unmistakable, with some corn, cereal, and damp/moldy straw. There's a slight off-putting skunkiness to it, it's not something I'm really in favor of finishing. When drank from the can it's downright awful.

Feel : It drinks light and has a popping, exciting carbonation. It ends with a dry nip (that Pilsner quality again).

Overall : Hamm's is a beer that obviously has had some success and a following. My personal thoughts are that it's not a bad beer, but the corn/cereal/damp grain at the end of the taste really destroys the appropriate pilsner quality it has at the start.

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured this into a regular old pint glass. It's a straw yellow color with lots of bubbles floating to the top. It gave off a one finger white head but quickly fell to pretty much no head at all.

Smell is grainy, a bit dry with a little tart apple.

Taste is of corn, grain and a little bitterness at the end. I'm hesitant to say "hop bitterness" though.

The mouthfeel is light, crisp and drinkable but will likely have you burping from the decent amount of CO2.

There isn't much to say about this beer, it's a little better than Budweiser but not as good as Schlitz.

2.87/5  rDev +2.1%

$6.39 for twelve cans, thanks to Patrick at BevMo Cypress for his dedication to hard-to-find beers.

Pours a clear light gold with fizzy white head and much carbonation evident. Head subsides fairly quickly though some lacing for what it is worth.

Aroma is grainy, with barley and corn. Some apple juice quality. Some hint of either hops or alcohol, both hidden behind a musty grain. Heavy on the adjunct qualities, but not anything bad going on in the nose.

Flavor is grainy with a metallic tinge and a touch of alcohol presence (though it is actually somewhat spirit like instead of rubbing alcohol). Some bitterness to help make the industrial taste more palatable, but no hop flavors really detectable. Tastes of cheap lager that is somewhat successfully covered up into something more drinkable. Light to medium body with loads of soda pop fizz carbonation.

Fairly drinkable brew that is obviously best cold. Much worse beer out there, so for $6.39 a twelver this might be an option for times that may require swill. Spend the extra dollar or two and upgrade to Schlitz if possible.

Honorable mention: this beer wins the prize for cheapest twelve pack I have ever purchased.

2.86/5  rDev +1.8%

Not too bad looking. Light yellow and not so typically fizzy for an adjunct lager. Head was decent and lace wasn't bad at all.

Smell is typically grainy, some corn, a bit of light malt, a little bit sweet.

Taste is plenty OK for the style. Sweet corn and grains with a touch of grassy hops and some light malts.

Light and easy to drink, not that carbonated for the style.

Overall it's quite average but would certainly do when you're fishin' and someone else is buying the beer.

2.86/5  rDev +1.8%

I know its a garbage beer but every now and again I enjoy dumpster diving. Hamms has nice carbonation and blows the big name brands away. Its rather creamy and has a nice german flavor to it for what it is. Doesnt hurt a 12 pack is only 5.99. I drink this when Im hitting donkeys filled with candy.

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%

Clear yellowish liquid, surprising white head that stuck around. Super sweet corny aroma.

Taste, same cooked vegetal corn feel for it, but lots of carbonation, even detectable hops. Extremely metallic, maybe they never upgraded to those cans with the liner. Pretty thin mouthfeel, super easy to drink, and cheap enough that it isn't associated with the hipster ironic drinking revival.

2.84/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a straw gold with a two-finger head into my glass. Very basic and very much what the style represents.

Sweet with a mix of corn and rice. Barely crisp. Reminds me a bit of sorghum (?).

Sweet, watery and not much else. Flavor? Where's that? It's your run of the mill adjunct lager!

Ditto for mouthfeel. Watery. Corny. Doesn't clash with my pepperoni pizza though.

Barely drinkable as-is. I'll know for sure if I wake up in the morning with a wicked headache!

2.84/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours clear crisp yellow. No head.

Smell is grain, corn, sweet malts and slight skunk.

Taste is sweet with notes of grains, corn, and malts coming through. Its rather bland, but not bad.

Feel is crisp, light, and drinkable. Medium carbonation gives it some pop.

Overall a perfectly fine AAL. Drank nicely with the BBQ we had for dinner.

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

Medium gold with a big white head. Smells a lot like grain and a little like malt. Taste is actually more complex than most cheap beers. Starts out with a watery malt flavor, then passes into an adjunct flavor. For it's very low ($12.99 a 30 pack) price, this is quite a deal.

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

Went on a beer run fro St Paddy's. Asked a buddy what he wanted. He said anything but PBR, so on a lark we grabbed a six pack of Hamm's. I'm sure the liquor store made their own six packs in the back the way I used to when I worked at a convenience store in college. Still only costed $3.19.

For reviewing, I did pour into a pilsener glass. Short fizzy head that quickly receded to nothing. No lacing, despite the active carbonation. Color is a pale straw yellow.
Smell is barely there. What smell there is is a blended cereal. Taste is also a very cereal malt, but not one type really dominates. It's not corn, could be rice.
Mothfeel is very light and watery.
Despite all of that, it is very drinkable. Would be good for the summer after mowing the lawn.

12oz can into tulip

Look is gold-orange, clear with some rising bubbles. Smell is spicy corn, grain. Taste is metallic corn, grain, rice. feel is light, with some malty thickness. highly drinkable.

Decent amount of taste, albeit cooked grain adjunct taste. That being said, if you drink this excessively, plan on waking up with a massive headache. I consider this a dirty beer. Union-made, but dirty.

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

"From the land of sky blue waters..." How many of us still remember the commercials with the Hamm's bear? Some of my favorite commercials as a kid.

Pours a pale gold color with a large foamy white head with decent retention. Smell is of corn, hops, and sweet malt.. The taste is a lot like the aroma. I can taste the hops and some sweetness which is a plus. The corn / grain taste is also present, but is not unexpected. The mouthfeel is thin and watery, but also crisp and clean. Got to take the bad with the good. The drinkability is average.

2.82/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served iced cold, like a good AAL should be. Honestly, it's a standard AAL along the lines of PBR. Clearly not a flavorful beer, but when you're in the mood for something iced cold, you could do worse.

2.82/5  rDev +0.4%

hamm's is my cheap go to beer when the night calls for adjunct. Probably my third choice overall and first if money is a factor. poured into my sprecher taster.

pours a lively and crystal clear straw. looks very clear and light on the yellows. a bone white 1/4 inch head slowly (for an AAL) dissipates.

smell is typical. clean and non offensive adjunct. corn, rice, grass, wet hay.

taste is crisp and again, non offensive. light with prickly carbonation. I like the mouthfeel on this one. from the land of sky blue waters...

2.82/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

16 oz can was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It us a golden straw yellow color with great clarity and bubbles seen coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing on the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Cereal grains, bready malts, some sweetness, lager yeast, and mild grassy hops.

Taste: Sweet and bready grains, lager yeast, grassy hops, and mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Typical lager aftertaste, crisp, refreshing, light bodied, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty standard average adjunct lager. Seen it a bunch of times, so I gave it a whirl.

2.81/5  rDev 0%

Standing in the cooler room, I was having trouble deciding what to buy. Behind me on the shelf, for roughly the same price as a 22oz, was a sixer of Hamm's 16 oz. cans. I took the physical challenge.

Poured, its a very light yellow, rim of foam (yes, I did pour it into a pilsner on the first one) and moderate carbonation. Aroma is as if a robot had drank a pilsner, then peed it out. Kind of pilsner, kind of robot.

The taste, coming from the same sensory mechanism of smell, is not that different. Its thin, very light in flavors that are predominantly sweet malt and just a turning edge of bitterness. Nothing strong, nothing assertive. But that makes it very drinkable. Plus, it's union made. That helps when it's this cheap.

2.81/5  rDev 0%

many people I have encountered are hating on the Hamm's. I have to say, for what it is, it is good. I like the fact that I have the ability to enjoy high end craft beers, homebrew, and Hamm's! all beer styles have that one beer that is the Platonic Ideal, and as far as American Lagers go, Hamm's is the one for me. Not as sweet as PBR and lighter feeling than Stag. Hamm's is a go to beer when you want to drink up American History.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

Glass - Pint

A - Ultra clear golden color with lots of carbonation and a 1-2 finger head that dissipated quickly. A nice ring held atop the beer but no lacing to speak of.

S - Lots of grain & corn, mildly sweet aroma, that's really about it here. Reminds me of Budweiser.

T - Pretty much like the smell, grainy & corn flavors dominate, finishing with corn like sweetness, and only a slight bitterness that doesn't seem to come from hops. Definitely reminds me of Bud.

M - Thin with moderate carbonation, it's good to have a BMC that's not overly carbonated.

D - Well about as drinkable as any other BMC brew around, crack open a case & get the party started! This beer isn't anything special though, reminded me exactly of a Bud, being a Bud drinker I'm very familiar with the taste. Not bad, not good to me either though, so far Shlitz has been my favorite in the style. Eh, I don't recommend it.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

A can poured into a pint glass.

The appearance is very typical of an American adjunct lager, which is what I expected. The smell is husky sweet grain with just a hint of hops, which is also what I expected. The taste is a little funny, but pretty much spot on for this style of beer. A nice sweetness balanced by just a hint of bitter- not enough bitterness to taste bitter, just enough to make the sweetness die down a bit. This beer might be a little more thin and watery than a lot of other American adjunct lagers though. The MF is typical.

I went and bought a case of Troeg's Perpetual and got one of these as a free sample (always have to take the free sample.) This gave me the chance to have a beer I would have otherwise probably never had. It is just a standard American lager, which I now believe is owned by Pabst, but another notch under the belt nonetheless. You have to love all of these old regional favorites that are still around. This isn't common in my area at all, but I bet it is much more prevalent in the Midwest. Cheers to Hamm'!

After some research I guess this is a MillerCoors product. My bad. And I do love the generic looking retro can. I have always loved those.

2.79/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Drank from the can but have seen one poured. Very light, light color with no head. Lots of carbonation.

S: Nothing, maybe some malt character.

T: Very carbonated. Smooth and decent taste compared to others in this category. No real real flavor is pronounced but decent.

This is a decent beer for this category. I've had several way worse. I am a craft beer drinker so this is never a beer I purchase but have had several times. I have friends that do drink the BMC and others and I'm never one to turn down a free drink. This is one that I'm not terrified to drink.

2.77/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a can.

Typical domestic beer.

Looks pale and yellow.

Smells and tastes like most domenstic... light on the nose with grains. Not as much bitter taste compared to other domestics, but it is still just a camping beer.

Would I buy it again? Mostly just for camping...

2.77/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance - Pours very light, in fact, lite light. Very sudsy foam quickly disappates. Lacing negatory.

Smell - Faint sweet adjuncty smell. Like almost every other light lager.

Taste - Slight malt flavor. Noticably less sweet than many macros. Very watery and clearly lighter than most.

Mouthfeel - Quite watery. Little bit of foam, but less than average.

Drinkability - Very inoffensive, but distinctly indistinct. I was surprised this wasn't worse. As it stands, I wouldn't seek a Hamm's out, but if one should happen into my mouth I wouldn't spit it out. A solid average macrobrew.

This beer was one I always associated with poverty and lack of class. Surprisingly it is noticeably better than some (macro) beers with better reputations (I;m looking at you Bud and Coors).

In conclusion, "The beer refreshing" - it certainly could be if the beer is cold enough and the day is hot enough. "Land of sky blue waters" - probably not, unless Milwaukee moved away from Milwaukee.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.