Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 256 | Ratings: 747
2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

Went on a beer run fro St Paddy's. Asked a buddy what he wanted. He said anything but PBR, so on a lark we grabbed a six pack of Hamm's. I'm sure the liquor store made their own six packs in the back the way I used to when I worked at a convenience store in college. Still only costed $3.19.

For reviewing, I did pour into a pilsener glass. Short fizzy head that quickly receded to nothing. No lacing, despite the active carbonation. Color is a pale straw yellow.
Smell is barely there. What smell there is is a blended cereal. Taste is also a very cereal malt, but not one type really dominates. It's not corn, could be rice.
Mothfeel is very light and watery.
Despite all of that, it is very drinkable. Would be good for the summer after mowing the lawn.

12oz can into tulip

Look is gold-orange, clear with some rising bubbles. Smell is spicy corn, grain. Taste is metallic corn, grain, rice. feel is light, with some malty thickness. highly drinkable.

Decent amount of taste, albeit cooked grain adjunct taste. That being said, if you drink this excessively, plan on waking up with a massive headache. I consider this a dirty beer. Union-made, but dirty.

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

"From the land of sky blue waters..." How many of us still remember the commercials with the Hamm's bear? Some of my favorite commercials as a kid.

Pours a pale gold color with a large foamy white head with decent retention. Smell is of corn, hops, and sweet malt.. The taste is a lot like the aroma. I can taste the hops and some sweetness which is a plus. The corn / grain taste is also present, but is not unexpected. The mouthfeel is thin and watery, but also crisp and clean. Got to take the bad with the good. The drinkability is average.

2.82/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served iced cold, like a good AAL should be. Honestly, it's a standard AAL along the lines of PBR. Clearly not a flavorful beer, but when you're in the mood for something iced cold, you could do worse.

2.82/5  rDev +0.4%

hamm's is my cheap go to beer when the night calls for adjunct. Probably my third choice overall and first if money is a factor. poured into my sprecher taster.

pours a lively and crystal clear straw. looks very clear and light on the yellows. a bone white 1/4 inch head slowly (for an AAL) dissipates.

smell is typical. clean and non offensive adjunct. corn, rice, grass, wet hay.

taste is crisp and again, non offensive. light with prickly carbonation. I like the mouthfeel on this one. from the land of sky blue waters...

2.82/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

16 oz can was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It us a golden straw yellow color with great clarity and bubbles seen coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing on the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Cereal grains, bready malts, some sweetness, lager yeast, and mild grassy hops.

Taste: Sweet and bready grains, lager yeast, grassy hops, and mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Typical lager aftertaste, crisp, refreshing, light bodied, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty standard average adjunct lager. Seen it a bunch of times, so I gave it a whirl.

2.81/5  rDev 0%

Standing in the cooler room, I was having trouble deciding what to buy. Behind me on the shelf, for roughly the same price as a 22oz, was a sixer of Hamm's 16 oz. cans. I took the physical challenge.

Poured, its a very light yellow, rim of foam (yes, I did pour it into a pilsner on the first one) and moderate carbonation. Aroma is as if a robot had drank a pilsner, then peed it out. Kind of pilsner, kind of robot.

The taste, coming from the same sensory mechanism of smell, is not that different. Its thin, very light in flavors that are predominantly sweet malt and just a turning edge of bitterness. Nothing strong, nothing assertive. But that makes it very drinkable. Plus, it's union made. That helps when it's this cheap.

2.81/5  rDev 0%

many people I have encountered are hating on the Hamm's. I have to say, for what it is, it is good. I like the fact that I have the ability to enjoy high end craft beers, homebrew, and Hamm's! all beer styles have that one beer that is the Platonic Ideal, and as far as American Lagers go, Hamm's is the one for me. Not as sweet as PBR and lighter feeling than Stag. Hamm's is a go to beer when you want to drink up American History.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

Glass - Pint

A - Ultra clear golden color with lots of carbonation and a 1-2 finger head that dissipated quickly. A nice ring held atop the beer but no lacing to speak of.

S - Lots of grain & corn, mildly sweet aroma, that's really about it here. Reminds me of Budweiser.

T - Pretty much like the smell, grainy & corn flavors dominate, finishing with corn like sweetness, and only a slight bitterness that doesn't seem to come from hops. Definitely reminds me of Bud.

M - Thin with moderate carbonation, it's good to have a BMC that's not overly carbonated.

D - Well about as drinkable as any other BMC brew around, crack open a case & get the party started! This beer isn't anything special though, reminded me exactly of a Bud, being a Bud drinker I'm very familiar with the taste. Not bad, not good to me either though, so far Shlitz has been my favorite in the style. Eh, I don't recommend it.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

A can poured into a pint glass.

The appearance is very typical of an American adjunct lager, which is what I expected. The smell is husky sweet grain with just a hint of hops, which is also what I expected. The taste is a little funny, but pretty much spot on for this style of beer. A nice sweetness balanced by just a hint of bitter- not enough bitterness to taste bitter, just enough to make the sweetness die down a bit. This beer might be a little more thin and watery than a lot of other American adjunct lagers though. The MF is typical.

I went and bought a case of Troeg's Perpetual and got one of these as a free sample (always have to take the free sample.) This gave me the chance to have a beer I would have otherwise probably never had. It is just a standard American lager, which I now believe is owned by Pabst, but another notch under the belt nonetheless. You have to love all of these old regional favorites that are still around. This isn't common in my area at all, but I bet it is much more prevalent in the Midwest. Cheers to Hamm'!

After some research I guess this is a MillerCoors product. My bad. And I do love the generic looking retro can. I have always loved those.

2.79/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Drank from the can but have seen one poured. Very light, light color with no head. Lots of carbonation.

S: Nothing, maybe some malt character.

T: Very carbonated. Smooth and decent taste compared to others in this category. No real real flavor is pronounced but decent.

This is a decent beer for this category. I've had several way worse. I am a craft beer drinker so this is never a beer I purchase but have had several times. I have friends that do drink the BMC and others and I'm never one to turn down a free drink. This is one that I'm not terrified to drink.

2.77/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a can.

Typical domestic beer.

Looks pale and yellow.

Smells and tastes like most domenstic... light on the nose with grains. Not as much bitter taste compared to other domestics, but it is still just a camping beer.

Would I buy it again? Mostly just for camping...

2.77/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance - Pours very light, in fact, lite light. Very sudsy foam quickly disappates. Lacing negatory.

Smell - Faint sweet adjuncty smell. Like almost every other light lager.

Taste - Slight malt flavor. Noticably less sweet than many macros. Very watery and clearly lighter than most.

Mouthfeel - Quite watery. Little bit of foam, but less than average.

Drinkability - Very inoffensive, but distinctly indistinct. I was surprised this wasn't worse. As it stands, I wouldn't seek a Hamm's out, but if one should happen into my mouth I wouldn't spit it out. A solid average macrobrew.

This beer was one I always associated with poverty and lack of class. Surprisingly it is noticeably better than some (macro) beers with better reputations (I;m looking at you Bud and Coors).

In conclusion, "The beer refreshing" - it certainly could be if the beer is cold enough and the day is hot enough. "Land of sky blue waters" - probably not, unless Milwaukee moved away from Milwaukee.

2.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Well...here it is...Hamm's... a sixer of pints for under 4 bucks. Great bargain basement lager.

Not much to say about the look, smell and taste...pretty typical of the adjunct lager style...nothing dreadful. Some sweet corn...light on hops and malt. But certainly no ill after taste to mention, which speaks highly for the style.

One thing that might put this one a notch above other adjuncts is the mouthfeel...pretty smooth and easy to drink. A good hot weather beer if you're on a budget.

"An American classic...born in the land of sky blue waters". Nice job Hamms!

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

I haven't had this beer in 15 years. I use to bring this to BYOB parties knowing that no one else would steal my brew. They would stick to Bud, Busch Light, and High Life and mock me and my Hamm's.

This is a very pale looking beer with large white head that settles quickly. Very lively long after the pour.

The smell isn't nearly as obnoxious as most other macro lagers. There still isn't anything good about it though.

The taste is weak. Don't remember it being this weak. Maybe get a little bit of the hops but otherwise is beer flavored water. It is light and crisp so pounding these all night would be no problem. Maybe that is why I liked it back in the day.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pale, straw colored body; plenty of lively carbonation; thick, fizzy, white head. Barely perceptible aroma of light, sweet cereal. Light grain flavor; white bread; decent hop bitterness. Light body; somewhat fizzy; crisp and dry finish.

Not the worst of (mostly) rightfully slammed adjunct lagers. There seems to be a smidge more flavor and body to Hamm's than most. There is little to recommend this beer for other than decent looks and an inexpensive price point.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

From the land of Sky Blue Waters.

A great old name now part of the Miller stable who has apparently stopped breeding winners, just runners who will place. Nostalgia only goes so far. If we buy it we have to drink it. Light color, mild flavor with some malt and hops, just not enough to scare anybody. A brand firmly ensconced in the bargain basement where it belongs. It will do when something cheap and cold is required.

Hey, it's a beer. Buy it cheap and drink it cold. I still miss the bear.

2.74/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from 16oz tall can (what else?) into a pint glass. I can't believe, 1,825 reviews in, I'm *finally* reviewing my beloved Hamm's. It's a crazy world.

Appearance: almost colorlessly pale yellow hue; no haze with a very strong effervescence. Head poured a finger of white foam and quickly dissipated. Good? No. But I know those bubbles are going straight to my brain.

Smell: lightly grainy and plasticy. Why do I like this beer? It must be the nostalgia.

Taste: stale bread soaked in water, stored in a Nalgene bottle for a few weeks. However, it also tastes like good times down at my local pub back in the day. So call it what you will.

Mouthfeel: very light body but a big, strong effervescence that generates a surprisingly good creaminess. Ba dow!

Overall: Hamm's. No additional comments needed.

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance is golden straw yellow, a bit more character than most macros. Some head, but no lacing.
Smell is ok, smells like cheap malt and thats about all.
Taste is same as the smell but a bit stale that didn't come through on the nose.
Mouthfeel light medium with some carbonation.
Drinkability is inhibited by the stalenss.

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

can into a pint glass...not much here, piss yellow, no real body, flavor or aroma...pretty much what I expected. At least it was cheap at $2.99 a six pack even in downtown Chicago. Being originally from Wisconsin, I did drink a lot of this in high school. Cheap stuff. Better than a lot of adjuncts but still not real beer in my opinion. Goes down super easy. Like water. Which it pretty much is. Buy it if you're up against Coors or one of the others, but otherwise, take a pass.

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

Another of the great American classic lagers, the Hamm's brew filled a spot in the lineup of "not bad cheap beers." Good looking pour of clear straw color and a 3/4 inch white head. Malt nose with a faint trace of hops. The flavor moderates with warming and moves from sweet maltiness to a grain sense. It was a decent enough beer for the price, but not enough staying power against the macros.

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at a place with little choice to be had. Haven't ticked this one yet, so why not...

A: Served in a standard pint glass. Clear light golden color. Served with a minimal white head that doesn't bother sticking around for very long. No lacing.

S: Very little aroma. Maybe a bit if grain or corn. A touch of grass? Really there just isn't much of anything.

T: Well, the taste isn't quite as clean as the aroma. Light bodied, light sweetness, and that sort-of tart green apple flavor that is typical of American Lagers. A little grain, a little corn and just faintest touch of grassy hops.

M: light bodied. Medium carbonation. Low bitterness.

O: well, as to be expected, there isn't much going on with this one. Sadly, there are better light lagers available.

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is yellow and fizzy. White bubbly head. Lots of carbonation.

It faintly smells of grain and bittering hops.

It's got a corn wham to it. It's a pretty sweet brew. Not much in the way of hops.

It's thin and bubbly.

It's no Schlitz, but at $12.99 a 30 pack, this is currently the most bang for the buck in town.

2.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is the beer I get more often than I'd care to admit to myself or others, but I still buy it,drink it & "like" it...and on just the right sorta day,i even almost need it....kinda like watchin' the news on t.v. if you are a news junky who really just wants to set by the river and fish or do some camping instead of being stuck inside with a talking head on a screen in front of you...
but anyway,w/that all said...

This is the beer I drink when I feel guilty about how much $ I've been spending on other beer.
This is the beer I drink when I'm broke (or feel that I'm about to be broke).
This is the beer I drink when I want a cheap lager.
This is the beer I could imagine charles Bukowski, jim morrison,the bum in my alley & me and my dog all setting around drinking....& not caring what it's like to be a drunk or a beer snob or an intellectual or a geek or god or devil in any shape or form.
This is the beer that really says,"America...party-time"...especially in certain states...
This is the beer i'd like to not drink with white castle sliders & for obvious reasons.
This is the beer you drink if u have a "can-do attitude" when it's raining,the yard needs mowed,your teeth hurt,you don't remember the last time you had a "good" dream and when the chicago cubs have won the world series in an alternate (but still transparent to us) universe.
This is the beer that sets at the back of your fridge for all the time that you DO have money...or just because your wife & every house guest says,"I'll just have tea" when you try & talk them into having one.
This is the beer that is both good AND bad...so MODERATE consumption is required...

2.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As far as cheap beers go, this is probably one of the best. Hamm's has a decent taste to it, but you still need to drink it quickly since its taste goes downhill when achieving room temperature. I would never buy Hamm's myself, but I don't have a problem drinking it at a buddies house.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.