Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

3.22/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Well, okay. I have to admit, I'm drinking this out of a can. Seriously, who pours Hamm's into a glass? Not me! Up the punx! ;) But it's your typical American lager. That's what it looks like. Nothing special.

S: This beer has a kind of sweet smell to it. Pleasant, for sure. Not exceptional, but makes it that much more exciting to drink!

T: One of the better cheap-ass domestic beers out there, I think. A little bit of bitter citrus and a sweet, bready finish. I could throw these back all night if I wanted to.

M: Feels "cheap." Really "fluffy."

D: Once again, I could drink Hamm's all night. It's not the best beer in the world, but for what it is - a cheap American lager - it's definitely pretty good. It doesn't taste as much like hair as Pabst. It's not as watery as Olympia. It's just a decent, drinkable beer.

3.22/5  rDev +13.4%

12 oz. can, from a 12-pack bought at the local BevMo for $5.99,

A: Pours a light, yellow colour from the can, into a mug, nice white head at first, but bad retention, no lacing, big bubbles.

S: Smells of light corn and malt, but fuller than most macros.

T: Tastes quite sweet from the malt and obvious corn adjuncts used, but it is not off-putting at all. A light flavour, that is a step up from the almost nothingness in taste that is today's mass-produced industrial lager, and I even tasted a bit of hops, the taste reminded me a lot of Schlitz.

M: Bubbly, light, a tad insipid, but it could be worse.

D: One of the better macros I've had, and cheaper than BMC to boot. A good choice if you're short on cash, but wan't a beer.

3.21/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I can remember the TV adds for this beer back in the 70's. One of my northern trucker buddies brought be a six of this since I haven't seen any since the mid 70's. Brings back memories. Very impressive head, three fingers of dense foam, with much lace and cling. Clear with lots of micro bubbles, a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. The smell brings be back to days of camping in Michigan, aromas of cereal grains, a slight floral array, and a wisp of lime. Taste is not quite what I remember from the 70's but it is not bad. Lime in the fringes, wheat, oats and malt in the forefront. Mouthfeel is thin but helped by the massive carbonation. Great for old time sake, brings back lots of good memories when I taste a mouthful.

look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 can BB 7/3/17 poured into a Hamm's chalice at fridge temp. The beer is golden straw colored and bright. White head is short lived with no lacing. Aroma is faint but typical sweet corn. Taste follows aroma with a sweetish corn start followed by a legitimate hop bitterness to balance. Mouthfeel is typical to style with a little oily/soapy coating after swallowing, but it's minimal compared to most. Overall, good AAL. Exactly what you want when you just want a cold beer.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tall boy can - six pack for $4.00! Pours straw yellow - a shade darker than the average American Adjunct Lager. Foamy white head, lingers for a bit then stays as a thin wispy lace on top of the beer. Aromas is faint hops and cornbread - again, a bit above average for the style. Taste - Bready with a corn tinge, hops are definitely apparent but very light - very clean flavor profile - crisp and refreshing. Overall, just a touch better than many of its more famous competitors - given that this is one of the cheapest beers out there ,it is not bad for what it is. would choose over Coors, Bud, or Pabst.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is a recent addition to the lineup here in my area. I have heard of this beer but never had a chance to try it.

While certainly not groundbreaking, this is a very solid everyday quaff. Chicken wings and potato chips, spicy jalapeno with nachos, large Italian sausage pizzas covered with cheese.... these are the things made for this beer. And there ain't nothing wrong with that. I picked up a case for round 15 bucks. I can see myself drinking this one around the pool this summer.

3.2/5  rDev +12.7%

Presentation: 12oz can. "Brewed in true family tradition from purest water and choicest barley malt, grain and hops." adorns the can. No identifiable freshness date, but there is a batch number.

Appearance: Pours a nice frothy white, two finger head that quickly settles to a thin lace. The clear liquid is a very pale, straw yellow.

Smell: Light hops, grain and a metallic edge in the aroma.

Taste: This light-bodied brew is immediately crisp and freshing with a smack of lemon in its gentle hop bite. Notes of salt also come into play as the brew dries with a nice crispness. Grain flavours follow with a thin, but even, sweetness. I can also pick-up on an addition of corn as the beer warms. The beer finishes with metallic and grain flavours with some dryness to it.

Notes: This is a damn fine "Union Made" beer, and certainly better than its more marketable brethren. It's simple and easy to drink, but the best part is its $2.99 a 6-pak price tag.

3.2/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours that ubiquitous clear golden yellow. The head was a towering 3 fingers of white. The head lingers much longer than Rolling Rock did, and leaves legs of lacing on the glass. Nose is basically non existent. Just a slight cereal mustiness. No corn or DMS. The flavor is fairly neutral. No one thing is strong positive or negative. It's a bit of cereal grain, but with the sweetness balanced out. This is an easy drinker with a decent body for an AAL. I can see those that are sweet averse enjoying this more than most AAL's. Body is middle of the road being neither watery or chewy. Finishes slightly dry. Overall I'd probaby rate this just below High Life in the rankings of AAL's I've sampled this weekend. It's a viable option if your looking for an beer that isn't going to be challenging to drink, but still contains enough flavor to be interesting.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I believe this is the best cheap beer out there, at $12.19 a thirty it's an unbelievable value for me, way above Stag, PBR, or Milwaukee's best (witch I tend to consume in high volume). It's no craft beer by any means, but for a classic American beer this is a home run for me.

a re-review.
i felt the need to re-review this beer because it's now $10 a 30 pack locally...making it almost the cheapest macro selection around. i usually chose high life, but oddly i've been swilling this stuff lately.

hamm's pours out clear and quite light golden, with a minimal head that dies quickly. practically no lace. the aroma is grainy and grassy; not obnoxiously of cheap adjuncts, but more pleasant. the taste follows suit, the grain/grass combination really asserts itself and the hopping really can be noted. while the maltiness is noticeably thin and watery, it still tastes fairly refreshing. i would rate it slightly higher in drinkability, just becasue it doesn't taste bad. those macro drinkers who like the neutral flavors of anheuser-busch will be offended by the character of this beer. but i'm not. while drinking this beer, i think about growing up in the land of sky blue waters, and how our minnesota forefathers appreciated this beer while engaging in their favorite leisurely pastimes.

a side note...my favourite beer glass, which i sample most of my beers in, is a classic hamm's pint schooner. oh, the nostalgia....

3.19/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Serving: can, from the can
Served: 24 August 2013

Appearance: Had this one at a party directly from the can, so I can't say that I actually saw the beer itself. Not a terrible looking can though. For cheap adjunct lager, however, I must say that PBR takes the crown.

Smell: Smells similar to PBR- light and corny, which some malt discernible through the sweetness. Very uncomplicated and 'beery'.

Taste: Actually not too shabby. This one, though rated much lower than PBR, didn't taste much better or worse than it. For a cheap go-to party beer, this is definitely a step up from the BMC light options, since I could actually taste something of the beer even though it was in an ice bath.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated. Makes the beer supremely drinkable.

Overall: Truly not a terrible option for a cheap, easily drinkable beer for social events where drinking for taste is not the primary goal. This would be a good option for college parties, tailgates, and other social events where you want an unassertive crowd pleaser that is a step up from ice-cold light lagers.

3.19/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

as to what amounts to 'bout fifty-eight pennies a 12 FL. OZ. 355 ml, and hey besides, i'm unemployed (since dec 2K16) and this is a tasty full american beer, thank goodness, that pours fine into a glass (of any shape, of any size) or, as i am enjoying it now, directly from metal can to hungry beer lipped taste receptors.
me likes hamms and will always 'cause the stuff just tastes good, gall'darnit.

12oz can
Served in a nonic pint glass

A - It pours pale yellow with a couple inches of white head.

S - I get some grain, biscuit, and a little skunk.

T - I get grain and grass. Maybe a little lemon zest.

M - Thin

O - It has a little more taste than others in this category. I appreciate the history of this beer as well as other rust belt beers so I'm kind of partial to it.

3.18/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.18/5  rDev +12%

Im reviewing this beer while on vacation.

I got a twelve pack for $5.99 at some hole in the wall place. The beer around where I am staying is pretty expensive since alot of micro and big name breweries are rather close. (Miller... blachhh)

This beer is in a can. I didnt have a glass to pour it into. So I give it the benefit of the doubt that its average. The cans pretty cool. Old school.

Smell is kind of metallic. Corney. Light alcohol scent.

Taste is the same as the smell. Easy to drink. Nice carbonation. Had a nice veggie water and alcohol taste. Very smooth, kind of a bite at the end of a drink. Slight metallic as stated before.

Mouthfeel was slippery. With the average carbonation its still very easy to drink. It is not sugary or overwhelming. Pretty balanced.

Drinkability could be higher, if the beer was free. :P

Good beer, great price.
I almost said screw it, Im moving to Wisconsin because of the beer here. This place is great.

3.18/5  rDev +12%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a half inch thick head that dissipates quickly. Has some pretty nice, creamy lacing.

Smell - A little skunky when I first poured it.. Now I smell strong scents of corn and grains. A little bready too

Taste - Very sweet with strong flavors of corn and grains. Almost has a rice-like taste similiar to sorghum beers.. The metallic flavor is also there.

Mouthfeel - Has a pretty thick/creamy body with mild carboation. The carbonation is what gives it that creamy texture.

Overall - I'm honestly impressed by how bad this beer ISN'T lol.. In my area, Busch is the cheapest beer you can buy. They just started selling this stuff and it's about a dollar cheaper

3.16/5  rDev +11.3%

The little convenience store around the corner from me didn't have Extra Gold in 12 packs, so, from the land of sky blue waters, to the fridge, I decided to plunk down my hard-earned nine bucks on this one.
It's been years since I've chugged Hamm's.
Not much has changed, for better or worse.
As with most swills, I usually don't bother pouring it into a glass.
For reviewing purposes, a couple of sips dumped into a low-ball glass reveals a pleasant enough light gold color and a decent head.
The smell is unpleasant. Like opening a can of green beans, with an unavoidable metallic tinge.
Luckily the flavor was considerably better. Decent American macro taste, with the corniness dialed back just a bit further than most of it's neighbors. If the cooked veggie flavor had been back-pedaled as well, I would have given it a higher rating. Oh well. It's cheap beer and tastes like it. For what it is, you can't complain too much.
I can't tell for the life of me if the slight (but pleasant) bitterness is the carbonation or hops.
The mouthfeel was fizzy and watery, but I kind of expected that.
Overall, this stuff ain't gonna win any medals, but I'd still take it over that "beechwood aged, for extra plywood flavor" crap any day

3.15/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - The beer was golden yellow with a bubbly white head.

Smell - The nose just makes me think of the spillage at a dive bar. The nose is light and grassy grains.

Taste - There are not a lot of well defined characteristics. The beer is a profile of grassy grains and noble hops. It is not overly bitter, but does run a little dry at the end.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation moves quickly to brush away the main beer profile. It is appropriate for the style.

Overall - For the style, this pretty much nails it. It might be the best American Adjunct Lager.

3.15/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.14/5  rDev +10.6%

A-Pours a clear yellow color with two and a half fingers of white fluffy head.

S-Grainy notes with some lemony hops and a faint metallic note.

T-Sweet grain and corn upfront with a slight bitterness.

M-Pretty low carbonation with a light body and a mildly prickly feel.

D-A drinkable and fairly decent version of an American Adjunct Lager.

3.13/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours out of the can a clear brownish yellow with a thin white head.

Smells of musky sour corn malt and a touch of harsh dryness.

Tastes like college. I mean it tastes like corn and a touch of oranges with a tough yeasty finish with a bit of pepper and metal.

Mouth feel is very think for a crappy beer with a light smooth carbonation.

What can I say? If I ever had to drink a lot of beers again, I’d still have to choose Hamm’s. At $14 a 30 pack, you just can't go wrong.

3.13/5  rDev +10.2%

Okay, with a beer fridge full of imports, and domestic micro-brews I really feel guilty about this one. I'm "slumming-it" in the greatest sense. But, and as the saying goes it's a BIG but, this stuff ain't bad. Sure, it lacks anything that could be called character, but it is what it is. This cheap macro-swill actually stands up. It's got more taste then you might think, and it's best served very cold in a tall glass. The quicker you drink it, the better, because it does show some negativity near the end. But, it IS refreshing, and the first few sips are pretty good. I've had it on tap, and I must say that adds something. But, at $4.50/12 pack, you can't beat it. It's a quiet beer that has survived. No mattter what part of the bottom shelf it's hiding on, beneath the Boulevards and the Fuller's etc., etc., etc., dig it out. This might surprise you. It's not trying to be great, but it does a pretty good job at being good, better than average, and most of all, refreshing.

3.12/5  rDev +9.9%

3.12/5  rDev +9.9%

Not sure who brews Hamm's any more. The last time I had any was about 36 years ago at the Oly brewery tour. But one of our local stores had a 30-case for $17, so I thought it was time to sock some away for casual summer sipping. Then I broke out one and stuck it in the freezer for a half hour, and then poured it into a pint glass (I don't like the aluminum smell drinking from a can). The smell wasn't like a brewery, but just a pleasant non-specific fragrance. The head starts off OK, and drops off to near nothing after a couple of minutes. The color is standard for American beer. The taste is pretty much bitter malt with a slightly sweet touch, and the flavor fades away pleasantly. I think that if you keep this beer cool, you could continue drinking cans of it all day. Half a can provides a pleasant buzz, and this beer will make a sunny day very enjoyable.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.