Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's
2.75/5
Poor
Hamm'sHamm's

Hamm's Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Hamm's, first brewed in Minnesota in 1865, is America's classic beer. Hamm's is brewed using the purest water and the choicest barley malt, grain and hops. The beer that is "Born in the Land of Sky Blue Waters" is available in select states.

Ingredients: Water, Barley Malt, Corn Syrup (Maltose), Yeast, Hops

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

3.2

View: Beers
3.27/5  rDev +18.9%

12 oz can with a stamp on the bottom of SEP1409, not sure if that is a canning date or best by. Pours a crystal clear medium color with a white foam only a motherly Sprite could love. If you blink, you'll miss it.

Adjuncts, what smells like corn, is very evident in the nose along with a sweet, slightly sour light maltiness. Nothing to write home about, but is does not smell bad...fairly fresh and clean.

The taste is pretty neutral with cereal grains and a mild, but noticeable, hop bitterness on the finish. This beer does a nice job of keeping the sweetness to a minimum for the style. Not a bad AAL, I could drink a couple of these without much of a problem.

3.27/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Haven't seen this stuff since I was a kid. All of a sudden there it is at my local store for $10.80 a case. At that price, seriously, why not? I'll just break it out on poker night and even if it's absolutely dreadful, it'll still get finished off. I'll grab this 12'er of Lagunitas IPA for the 'house', just in case...

Served in a pint glass.

Pours a very pale golden with a thick white head that disappears quickly and leaves some delicate lacing. Looks okay. The lacing is actually pretty elegant looking.

Aroma is corn, a little grain, some grassiness. Typical for the style, nothing too terribly off-putting, but not the greatest smell either. Probably better left in the can.

Taste is very simple and straightforward, starts slightly sweet then fades into a swift corn/grain finish. Over and done like that (snaps fingers). Nothing off or bad tasting, but nothing stands out either. Super basic American lager.

Mouthfeel is also average for the style. Thin and light bodied, carbonation is average. Not too watery. Very drinkable. I could see losing count of how many of these I've had.

Overall this is just a slightly above average adjunct lager. I've had a few better, but I've had many worse. The aroma isn't the greatest, but I just had another one from the can and it was a non-issue. Hamm's is a perfectly cromulent session beer and actually an amazing value. I mean, $0.45/can for an actual drinkable beer? My overall rating takes this into consideration.

Update 9/7/13... Okay, fine. Hamm's has been our House Cheepniss all summer long. Probably on our 12th or 13th case at this point, and it's always in the fridge now for handing out by the armload to a bunch of guests, for keeping the whistle whetted in between precious glasses of hi-dolla craft, for pouring on the flareups when grilling burgers and for soaking the grilled brats until serving time, basically for all general "hey, it's beer" drinking purposes. One time I tried 'dry hopping' a can I was drinking with some Cascade pellet. Yeah, don't do that. Take it for what it is and it won't disappoint (much). Expect anything more and you're dumb.

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

A vigorous pour into a shaker pint glass yields 2 fingers of bright white head that mostly disappears within a minute, leaving a skim of white. No lacing. Body is very pale straw colored.

Smells very lightly of grains, corn and the barest hint of hops.

Taste is pretty good for the style. There's some lemony bitterness right away, light grains, a bit of corn sweetness, and a touch of hops on the swallow.

Body is pretty light, carbonation is pretty fizzy- standard macro mouthfeel. There is a hint of pleasant creaminess and a pretty crisp finish.

Overall impression: About as good a macro lager as you're gonna get. Helluva lawnmower beer.

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

This is really the perfect beer for drinking in a smoky room with sticky floors, late at night, after you may have over-imbibed. The sweet corn is understated considering the style and it still has a discernible hop flavor and bitterness to accompany.

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

I've been on an Anti-Craft Beer kick as of late. I'm tired of the bizarre combinations of fruits, candy, coffees and teas in my beer. And lately I find myself just wishing I had a good old fashioned lager to drink. Hamm's comes in pretty close. I wouldn't call it a great beer by any means. But it is just beer, no fruits, no pure sours, no extreme hops, just plain old beer and that's all I wanted. So when I found the local Kroger selling 30 packs for $12 I decided, what the hell, and I have not regretted my decision. I definitely would rank it above Miller, Bud, PBR and Coors as far a flavor profile goes. The only downside, like most domestic beers these days, I need a dozen just to get a buzz.

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

Well, perhaps I was being under the annoyance of those Central America beers with a lot of corn additives, but I really did not like this one. I found a lot of those in it, and really wanted to throw it away after a while. But going backwards, it had a nice bread smell.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.